spc
Search similar:

uniqs
coolpontiac
join:2005-09-16
Mountain View, CA

coolpontiac

downloading Motorola DVR files to Windows PC

I know there are various complex posts / threads about getting "hd"tv programs to a pc via firewire but im wondering if anyone can point to a clear concise (i.e not for expert hackers) guide to downloading (via ethernet would be better than firewire) the shows (not just hd) you have stored on your comcast dvr into mpeg files on your pc so that you can watch them on pc and make dvds of them as well. can you 'look' into the file structure in that moto diskdrive the same way you can into a computer on your network.
thx!
CP

BlaZeR2
join:2001-05-28
Taylor, MI

BlaZeR2

Sorry to say, the ethernet port on the Motorola box is disabled; and even if it were enabled, it would only serve as a cable modem uplink port (meaning your cable box would be the cable modem). At this time, the only way you can get files off of your motorola box is to use firewire and follow the somewhat complex instructions of playing prerecorded show and recording it on your pc as if it were a DVHS recorder. Sorry for the bad news. And also, Firewire is faster than ethernet. Firewire is 400mbps, and ethernet (not gigabit) is 100 mbps, so firewire would be a better choice anyway.

Here is a good place to start: »replayguide.sourceforge. ··· dct6412/
coolpontiac
Mountain View, CA

coolpontiac

thanks. im suprised you cant 'mount' the dvr disk since the dvr is essentially a computer, it must have a OS and a file system since the mpeg files are stored the disk somehow. but I guess lack of ethernet prohibits this. also , maybe the filesystem is not ntfs? and thus not compatible with a pc?
if I follow the proceedure you point to , will I be able to download (via firewire) specific mpeg files of specific recordings. can I then view them on the pc as well as burn them to a dvd (yes I realize hdtv programs cant be burned to a dvd but in this case im talking about std def dvr recordings
thx!
CP

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4 to coolpontiac

to coolpontiac
I want to do that as well. I would love to put them on my 160gb hard drive on my computer.

mabus
i make the fort glow
join:2002-11-12
Fort Wayne, IN

mabus to coolpontiac

to coolpontiac
said by coolpontiac:

thanks. im suprised you cant 'mount' the dvr disk since the dvr is essentially a computer, it must have a OS and a file system since the mpeg files are stored the disk somehow.
why? that would require some sort of nfs, netbios sharing or other net-file sharing daemon to be present on the cable box. and even if it were available from motorola as a feature, you can bet that comcast would disable it.
quote:
but I guess lack of ethernet prohibits this. also , maybe the filesystem is not ntfs? and thus not compatible with a pc?
not necessarily. you could, in theory, write a program to interface with the firewire port to transfer files, but you'd have to know a helluva lot about the hardware specifics of your cable box. iPod's use firewire and transfer files just fine - so as you can see, it is possible.

your best bet would be to hook the drive onto a linux machine that has tools for viewing raw data at the bit level and examine the partition tabe and write your own filesystem driver to be able to mount the drive into your linux tree. again, nothing here is going to be easy, but all of it is possible given the knowhow, and lots of time on your hands.

BlaZeR2
join:2001-05-28
Taylor, MI

BlaZeR2 to coolpontiac

to coolpontiac
If you follow the link I posted, it tells you how to burn the HD content to DVDS (it will be downconverted) but I would bet the dvds of downconverted HD content will look better than the SD content once it is burned.

I have never downloaded any of the recordings to my pc, but from what I understand, you can't really download them, you are merely setting up your computer to record the shows as you play them on your dvr. Basically as if you were connecting a VCR to your dvr, hitting record on the VCR and hitting play on the dvr. Once you record them, they will show up as a file on your pc, that you can convert to any format you like, edit commercials out, and burn to a DVD.
bcunningh
join:2005-04-01
Seattle, WA

bcunningh

True, you cannot transfer files from the dvr to a pc. You can use the firewire to stream the video from the box to the pc and then record and re-encode it.
garyprud
join:2005-07-09
Dallas, TX

garyprud to coolpontiac

to coolpontiac
SO many people have asked this question - which shows that there's demand for this option. Now we look into the laws of supply & demand, and realize that money becomes part of the equation. The cable company pays their content providers for stuff to pass on to us, and the content provider would want to get paid for users to 'copy' the signal - meaning higher costs all around. Plus, Comcast and other cable providers negotiate with Motorola, SA, and other box builders to tell them what features and capabilities they want the box to have - that's why some of the ports are disabled. There are devices that let you record directly off the signal which you can own, but you pay a lot more for them than we do for the cable company's plain-jane unit. Again, it's all in the money!
coolpontiac
Mountain View, CA

coolpontiac

thanks for clarifying that you arent really transfering 'files' from the dvr but just streaming/recording to your pc to create a 'file' , this is certainly more kludgy than desired.

yeah... i believe in intel. property rights but hate the way those hollywood moneychasers and their lawyers stifle innovation&convenience (like threatening tivo to NOT put a 30sec skip button on remote). I guess this is why god created hackers:). it seems to me if you already paid to watch the show and you pay for use of the cablebox than you should be entitled to grab files that are on the box drive and put them on your pc drive. Im suprised some highschool kid hasnt already figured out how to do this.

ssj4android
Redefining Reality
join:2002-04-14
Wyoming, MI

ssj4android to coolpontiac

to coolpontiac
Can you record analogue channels using this method? Are they 5c protected? Was it local HD channels that weren't 5c protected?

joako
Premium Member
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null

joako to garyprud

Premium Member

to garyprud
said by garyprud:

SO many people have asked this question - which shows that there's demand for this option. Now we look into the laws of supply & demand, and realize that money becomes part of the equation. The cable company pays their content providers for stuff to pass on to us, and the content provider would want to get paid for users to 'copy' the signal - meaning higher costs all around. Plus, Comcast and other cable providers negotiate with Motorola, SA, and other box builders to tell them what features and capabilities they want the box to have - that's why some of the ports are disabled. There are devices that let you record directly off the signal which you can own, but you pay a lot more for them than we do for the cable company's plain-jane unit. Again, it's all in the money!
They don't negociate with Moto, SA, they dictate. If they wanted all the ports and features to be enabled right now, they could in a hearbeat.... Do you think Moto, SA put ports and slots on their boxes and hope that a cable provider will want to use them? No, they build features which the cable providers choose to use or not to use. Don't blame Moto because your STB is crippled.

WiFiSpy
Rtfm
Premium Member
join:2004-03-20
Everett, WA

WiFiSpy

Premium Member

»www.avsforum.com

imrf
Premium Member
join:2002-06-06
Utica, MI

imrf to joako

Premium Member

to joako
said by joako:

If they wanted all the ports and features to be enabled right now, they could in a hearbeat....
Actually they can't. Some ports just can't be activated at the drop of a hat. Some of the software just won't support those ports, others have problems just functioning.
Do you think Moto, SA put ports and slots on their boxes and hope that a cable provider will want to use them? No,
Actually they do. They build boxes with a large feature set, then hope the MSOs will want to use them. MSOs can order firmware from the vendor turning off specific ports if the MSO doesn't want them to be used.
Don't blame Moto because your STB is crippled.
IMO, the blame can be placed on both the STB maker and the MSO. It took SA over 2 years to get the firewire ports active on their DVRs. The MSOs and customers demanded it, but either SA had problems getting them to work, or they just didn't care.

CableTool
Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium Member
join:2004-11-12

CableTool

Premium Member

The trend going forward is going to be lowering the price of the STB.
Adding every bell and whistle that the average cableuser will not even notice or know how to use doesnt make any kind of sense.

The MSO would pay for all the options whether they are used or not. Of course they can mix and match high end and low end boxes but then there is the cost of carrying inventory.
Next year you should start seeing DVRs with analog only, DVRs with no HD capability etc.
All those cost extra and obvioulsy buying a dvr with an analog tuner and HD and renting it to a sub who is in an all digital area without an HD set is a blatant waste of revenue.

imrf
Premium Member
Utica, MI

imrf

Premium Member

said by CableTool:

Next year you should start seeing DVRs with analog only, DVRs with no HD capability etc.
I doubt an analog only dvr will ever come out. All MSOs want to get rid of analog, why would anyone make an analog only dvr just to sit on a shelf? Especially with most of them, Comcast including, that require a digital tier before getting a dvr. Scientific Atlanta already makes SD DVRs and a separate HD version. Motorola is lacking in that department, which shouldn't be a big shock to anyone, they seem to always be behind the times.

CableTool
Poorly Representing MYSELF.
Premium Member
join:2004-11-12

CableTool

Premium Member

Bleh, as with most of my posts it was dyslexic.
I meant a no analog tuner dvr. ( and HD, and standard)

imrf
Premium Member
Utica, MI

imrf

Premium Member

Ok, that makes sense now. An all digital SD dvr would be a great idea to shave costs.

ssj4android
Redefining Reality
join:2002-04-14
Wyoming, MI

ssj4android to coolpontiac

to coolpontiac
Sweet, I got recording working! And I can record everything. Just finished recording a bit from HBO HD. Worked fine.
jakafutz
join:2005-09-30
Stillwater, MN

jakafutz

So ssj...you're saying that you were successful at pulling a recorded program off of the dvr onto your pc? Burn to a DVD? What steps did you take? Way too much info out on this forum.

imrf
Premium Member
Utica, MI

imrf

Premium Member

More than likely the firewire instructions in the second post in this thread.