spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

md911

join:2004-05-17
Los Angeles, CA

recommended password manager? roboform any good?

I am looking for a password manager that also encyrpt those passwords. Broadband had mentioned roboform - is this a trustworthy application?

AlkalineArmy
Premium
join:2002-03-14
Greenfield, IN

1 recommendation

Re: recommended password manager? roboform any goo

I've never used Roboform, so I can't comment on that. I use KeePass, it's free and open-source, you should check it out.

»keepass.sourceforge.net/

catch23

@oglasnik.hr
reply to md911
The only thing I don't like about password managers is your passwords can still be logged with many keyloggers when you use them. So don't assume just because your using a password manager, that encrypts your passwords, that others can't find them out.

some posts should be

@cerebraltech.com
reply to md911

Re: recommended password manager? roboform any good?

I am surprised no one pointed you to this poll yet: »[POLL] Encryption Software/Password Protection

I use Password Safe. It is open source and good stuff. I have never tried keepass. Maybe try out both and see which one you like better.

Password safe: »passwordsafe.sourceforge.net/

paul
Granpa Paul
Premium,MVM,ExMod 2006
join:2001-07-14
reply to md911

I use Roboform, works OK. there are constant updates, Firefox .xpi files were lacking, but have since been sorted out. but they've gone the way of many apps, the key you buy will only install on so many machines. I bought 2 keys, installed them on my main rig, wife's rig, my living room laptop and truck laptop. I've since wiped every machine, and now the key has reached it's limit.

May try keypass instead...

HA Nut
Premium
join:2004-05-13
USA

1 recommendation

reply to md911
KeePass user here. Main reason I ended up preferring it over Password Safe was that it supports drag and drop for IE and FF (not for Opera though )

If you download and use the zipped Windows i386 version, you can even install it on a portable flashdrive. This allows you to always have KeePass with you...

Fin
Premium
join:2003-02-22
EU

1 recommendation

reply to md911
Another vote for KeePass. Strong encryption, excellent auto-type, frequently updated, open-source, fits in a flash memory.
--
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Rungel
Run A Mile Live Awhile
Premium
join:2001-12-05
CT
Reviews:
·Charter
·AT&T DSL Service

1 recommendation

reply to md911

Yes KeePass been great for me. Wow i needed the update to 1.03 on it also. Thanks for mentioning it.
--
Rockin' The Awakening Heart, Mind and Soul »leeniebreckenridge.com/ CD now available!

BuckSnort7

join:2005-07-22
Berlin Heights, OH
reply to md911

Been using Roboform for several years now, and would hate to use the internet without it. One of those "can't live without" applications.

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium
join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL
reply to md911
And another vote for KeePass.

Tim

Xzar

join:2003-02-16
Yaphank, NY
reply to md911
ex KeePass user here, moved to roboform because of it's integration into Firefox that it has. it's auto form filling after a master password makes it hard for a keyloger to get the password too.

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2
reply to md911

I've been using PINs for many years and now trying KeePass. There is plug-in that facilitates importing DB from PINs. Looks good so far. But there is some problems:
1. I can't auto-type using default Ctrl+Alt+A into login dialog box of Linksys router (as was always do with PINs).
2. There is obvious bug in rearrange procedure - when I moved folder one step down (or up) it moves (rearranges) folder's name, but content still in the same position...

Comparing to PINs KeePass has:
•Subfolders - very convenient feature if you need organize your growing DB
•It creates a bit smaller DB. For instance, A.pins = 24 KB, A.kbd = 17 KB for the same imported DB.
•Size of executable is bigger: PINs = 413 KB (in memory 1.7 MB), KeePass = 565 KB (in memory 5.5 MB).

KeePass may be a good candidate to move from PINs...
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7

kingst

@waag.org

1 recommendation

reply to md911

But what good is a password manager if all the passwords are decrypted before they are copied to the Windows clipboard, but many keyloggers will log whatever is posted to the Windows clipboard? Same thing if they are run off a flash drive.

So how do password managers really help you from getting your password stolen, if a hidden keylogger is installed on the target pc?

Phil75070

join:2005-08-17
Mckinney, TX
reply to BuckSnort7
Likewise. I have Oubliette, but RoboForm is so much more convenient to use.

md911

join:2004-05-17
Los Angeles, CA
reply to Xzar
One thing I noticed about Roboform is that when you visit a site that it will log in for you with id and password. I don't see that option with Keepass and Password safe????

HA Nut
Premium
join:2004-05-13
USA
said by md911:

One thing I noticed about Roboform is that when you visit a site that it will log in for you with id and password. I don't see that option with Keepass and Password safe????
That is correct. KeePass does support drag 'n drop (which Password Safe does not) but not auto logons.

IMO, it's a personal thing. I guess that I don't want to give a program that much control of my surfing passwords. I still want to manually control some things. (Although I haven't used Roboform, I'm sure you can turn off the auto logon stuff right?)

The other thing (already mentioned above) that meant a lot to me was that KeePass can run as a standalone installation and does not need to become part of Windows. Not sure if Roboform can run that way???

George3337

join:2005-07-21
lemme alone
reply to md911
piece of paper under keyboard

Blue2
Premium
join:2004-04-14
France
kudos:1
said by George3337:

piece of paper under keyboard
Ditto. Low cost, easy maintenance, real-time updates. The only risk I've run into are coffee stains.

BKayrac
Premium
join:2001-09-29
Madison, WI
password safe rocks

Khaine

join:2003-03-03
Australia
reply to md911
I was a user of Password Safe, and I recently switched to KeePass. KeePass allows 2-factor authentication which was the clincher for me