Sweet Witch
Be the flame, not the moth.
MVM
join:2003-07-15
Gallifrey

Sweet Witch

MVM

Now what the bloody h*ll??

I get the case plugged in (upgrade), turn it on and the screen gives me this lovely message of -

"Chassis Intruded!
Fatal Error...System Halted"

I don't want this bloody message, I want to load XP and use my own damned computer!!!

Now what do I do??

stormbow
Freedom isn't FREE
Premium Member
join:2002-07-31
Simi Valley, CA

stormbow

Premium Member

Look in your BIOS for a chassis intrusion setting and disable it. If that doesn't work, I'm not sure where to go next.

ErRoR0
Premium Member
join:2002-10-26
Tullahoma, TN

1 edit

ErRoR0 to Sweet Witch

Premium Member

to Sweet Witch
What kind of case it is?
quote:
Normally you enable/disable it with a jumper on the mobo or a BIOS setting, (it would be connected to metallic tape by a computer builder to stop you from opening the case). Check the user manual for the correct way to disable chassis intrusion. Strip the board to the bare minimum. Once you have done that then clear the CMOS. The pins have to be jumpered to disable chassis intrusion.
quote:

Sweet Witch
MVM
Gallifrey

1 edit

Sweet Witch to stormbow

MVM

to stormbow
I've been looking in the manual - nothing - and I can't even get in to the BIOS!!!

The mb is an Asus A8V.
Sweet Witch

Sweet Witch to ErRoR0

MVM

to ErRoR0
It's a cheapie Just4PC case from Tiger Direct I had my old system in.

NutCase4
Mad Overclocker
Premium Member
join:2001-12-10
Livermore, CA

NutCase4 to Sweet Witch

Premium Member

to Sweet Witch
Click for full size
do you have an A8V or the A8V deluxe?

The standard A8V does not have chassis intrusion detection.

But look at this and make sure the jumper is installed..

Sweet Witch
MVM
Gallifrey

Sweet Witch

MVM

said by NutCase4:
do you have an A8V or the A8V deluxe?

The standard A8V does not have chassis intrusion detection.

But look at this and make sure the jumper is installed..

I have the regular version. I called Asus (and bless them for being open on a Sunday!) and after a COMS clear, XP is installing. The tech was stumped as well since there's absolutely no documentation about this feature being on this board and there's no jumper. I have to call back if it does it again on the reboots.

So if anyone else has this problem with the regular Asus A8V board, clear the CMOS by removing the battery AND changing the jumper and it should work.

ErRoR0
Premium Member
Tullahoma, TN

ErRoR0

Premium Member

Glad you got it working

Sweet Witch
MVM
Gallifrey

Sweet Witch

MVM

So am I, especially after the cost!!
Sweet Witch

Sweet Witch to ErRoR0

MVM

to ErRoR0
said by ErRoR0:
Glad you got it working
We spoke too soon, it did it to me again this morning. It apparently reboots fine (software installs yesterday) but doesn't want to reboot after a night off.

Now I have to wait a few hours for Asus to open to call them again. Is this normal workmanship for Asus?? I'd heard there products were very good, this doesn't seem so, especially since this board isn't even supposed to HAVE intrusion detection on it, let alone freaking on me!

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

Sounds like it came from the factory with the wrong BIOS since it continues with the chassis intrusion thing....

I have loved all of my Asus motherboards - I have had several...

Sweet Witch
MVM
Gallifrey

Sweet Witch

MVM

We adjusted a setting this morning so it's running now, but I'm expecting problems in the morning!

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

What setting? The FSB?

Sweet Witch
MVM
Gallifrey

Sweet Witch

MVM

Nope, in the Boot screen, Boot Settings Configuration, disable Full Screen Logo.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County

1 edit

CylonRed

MVM

I always turn that off - for some reason I read your last post as "it was running slow" for some odd reason...

Sweet Witch
MVM
Gallifrey

Sweet Witch

MVM

said by CylonRed:
I always turn that off - for wome reason I read your last post as "it was running slow" for some odd reason...
I'd never even heard of that before!!

Because it's a Monday morning??

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

Must because of monday and I am not in the best of moods since the weekend...

Sweet Witch
MVM
Gallifrey

Sweet Witch

MVM

And went to reboot and got a 'cmos bad checksum' error. I'm on the phone again!

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

Sounds more and more like a bad motherboard.

Sweet Witch
MVM
Gallifrey

Sweet Witch

MVM

I'm demanding an rma this call!

ErRoR0
Premium Member
Tullahoma, TN

ErRoR0

Premium Member

If it were me, I'd get the latest BIOS and flash it. The full screen logo is just the ASUS logo during boot up. I have mine on just because it looks cleaner than all the post info...lol. You can hit Tab during post and it will bypass it anyway if you need to see what's going on.

Eric

Sandman37
Premium Member
join:2002-07-10
Strafford, MO

Sandman37 to Sweet Witch

Premium Member

to Sweet Witch
Definitely let tech support walk you through reflashing the BIOS. Then if it doesn't work then it's on record that you already tried it and they should allow a RMA.

Sweet Witch
MVM
Gallifrey

Sweet Witch

MVM

They're allowing it anyway because I informed them that this wassimply unacceptable.

Babar
Premium Member
join:2001-05-09
Washington

1 edit

Babar to Sweet Witch

Premium Member

to Sweet Witch
Well, if you insist on an RMA, you might as well do a little practise on the board before you pack it up. You'll learn a few things and have a little fun while you're at it.

Check the manual for the "clear CMOS' instructions and give it a try. This will reset all the BIOS settings to stock, and might even fix your problem!

Then, if it boots OK, go back into the BIOS and clear that logo display and get familiar with the layout and settings available in the BIOS. If you reboot a few times, you'll find where on the POST screens the BIOS version is located.

The Asus website should have instructions on downloading and applying a newer version, if available. It's not as scary as some think, and you might as well practise on a board that's going back anyway. Asus is usually pretty good about shipping with the latest BIOS, but it's worth a look.

I think a simple CMOS clear might even fix your problem.

Good Luck!

edit - oops, I see you already cleared CMOS. Why not try a newer BIOS? ... nothing to lose at this point!

Sweet Witch
MVM
Gallifrey

Sweet Witch

MVM

It did yesterday, but didn't hold.

They guy this afternoon said it 'could be' a depleted battery, but I told him at this point I didn't care - that when I buy something I expect it to in the least work right out of the box and definitely last at least for the warranty period.

Now I just have to reinstall the heatsink bracket .
ChiTang
MVM
join:2002-08-23
Alhambra, CA

ChiTang

MVM

If it is a depleted CMOS battery, you can try the swap the battery from the old mobo and C.

Haven't heard bloddy h*ll for a long time. Are you British?

Hel
Goddess Of My Own Little Universe
Premium Member
join:2002-04-11
Washington, DC

Hel to Sweet Witch

Premium Member

to Sweet Witch
Just in defense of ASUS, I've had roughly a dozen ASUS mobos over the years, and only had problems with one. And that one, was on a bare bones system I bought, and I never was convinced the problem wasn't caused by the tech who built the system. So don't hate ASUS over this!
That said, both my current systems use cheap@$$ Soyo mobos, and run beautifully. So, I'm not saying ASUS is the only game in town.

Sweet Witch
MVM
Gallifrey

Sweet Witch

MVM

I don't 'hate' over one incident, but I can be annoyed .