uniqs
RouterRooter
join:2001-11-22
Rockville, MD

4 edits

RouterRooter

Report on Linksys BEFCMU10 V4

Click for full size
Like many / most here, I was stuck at about 4300 kbps with my old Moto Surfboard 4100.

CompUSA was running a rebate on the BEFCMU10 ($79-$20 if you remember to mail in the UPC, receipt, copy of driver's license, naked picture of your mom, SASE, addidavit of compliance with FCC, FAA, and FEMA rules, and original birth certificate) so I stopped by. On the good info from another post here, I sought out a V4 model, which they indeed had behind about 10 V3s.

Since then, Comcast has been assisting me in testing the device. They have done this by running my SNR from 28 dB to 35 dB with a cycle rate of about 12 hours. To make sure I notice this helpful test they have been doing the same with my TV signal.

The interesting thing (thought I'd never get there, eh?) is that the speed varies tremendously with the SNR. The burst speed at 32+ dB is over 19,000 kbps (according to DU meter) before the cap (I'm on the silver plan) kicks it down. During a speakeasy speedtest I get 6000 to 7000 usually with a few forays over 9000.

But when the SNR drops, the speed falls off precipitously. Below about 31 dB I can't even get the promised 6000 kbps and below 30 dB it ranges from 300-2000 kbps.

So. Modem has been very solid despite these SNR adventures. Only one power cycle needed so far after 6 days to clear a no-sync condition. Speed is excellent and obviously the hardware (mine and Comcast's) can support even more speed if they ever up the caps again.

And I thought that the strong relationship between SNR and speed might help some people diagnose their own speed issues. I myself kind of stupidly thought that as long as the modem could sync, the speed was invariant.

RR

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

Sunny

We're talking about this modem in another current topic, here: »Got New Modem- It the New LINKSYS MODEM VERSION!!