spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

djpyxis

join:2005-10-12
Vancouver, BC

Checking shawmail from outside the shaw network.

Just wondering if this is at all possible. Basically what I am trying to accomplish is to retrieve email from Shaw account via a Telus DSL connection. I am using Outlook 2003 SP1 and utilizing the FQDN for the shaw mailservs. I am frequently moving around with my laptop and am unable to access my shawmail unless it is from the webmail section of the shaw network. Is there any work-around for this or is it just a blanket block-out that no other network is able to check mail unless you are physically on the shaw network.

Thanks in advance.

Graeme

11111tor

@shawcable.net

Do you have the full server name? for example edmonton is shawmail.ed.shawcable.net

djpyxis

join:2005-10-12
Vancouver, BC

Re: Checking shawmail from outside the shaw networ

Yeah...i've used the FQDN and had no luck with it from Telus.

shawmail.vc.shawcable.net returns nothing but an error. Telus can find the server but gets no love in return.

Fred Apple

join:2004-07-22
Stonewall, MB
reply to djpyxis

Re: Checking shawmail from outside the shaw network.

Try using the "WEBMail". Go the this site »www.shaw.ca/en-ca top middle of screen, click on WEBMAIL and go from there.

bb147

join:2005-04-05
BC, Canada
reply to djpyxis

it should work.. because I remember doing this a while back when I had a Telus connection but still had my shaw email, and i was able to logon to shaw's pop3 servers.

Maybe they changed it.. but i'm sure it worked before.. maybe a year ago?

AboutBell1
AboutBell
Premium
join:2004-12-13
reply to djpyxis

Shaw does not allow smtp/pop3 email from outside their network. I believe the main reason is to prevent SPAM abuse.

They may have allowed it in the past but have not allowed it for some time now.

The only way to check you shaw mail from outside the network is to use shaw webmail.

st7860

join:2004-05-13
San Francisco, CA
reply to djpyxis

i guess shaw never thought of offering smtp authentication service which would solve the spam problem.

dita

@shawcable.net
reply to djpyxis

In case for others still wondering, exact site is »webmail.shaw.ca

pfak
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

1 edit
reply to AboutBell1

said by AboutBell1:

Shaw does not allow smtp/pop3 email from outside their network. I believe the main reason is to prevent SPAM abuse.

They may have allowed it in the past but have not allowed it for some time now.

The only way to check you shaw mail from outside the network is to use shaw webmail.
Must I keep correcting you, POP3 has *nothing to do with spam*, POP3 doesn't receive mail.

Repeat after me: POP3 is not an MTA, POP3 is not an MTA..

"Post Office Protocol version 3 (POP3) is an application layer Internet standard protocol used to retrieve email from a remote server to a local client over a TCP/IP connection."
--
Xenophase - Vancouver's premier online gaming community.

AboutBell1
AboutBell
Premium
join:2004-12-13

Noted: My bad if my terminology was incorrect.

Regardless of the definition, it is my understanding that it intentionally does not work from inside to the outside of the shaw network.

Tal56

@209.167.x.x
reply to djpyxis

Yep, I quit shaw a few months back because of throttling and because they don't allow you to check your pop3 email outside their network. Which is so rediculous.

I use Outlook on my laptop for business. If I travel anywhere, I can't download my email on outlook because I'm outside Shaw's network. I can only use the shaw webmail which is a joke, and I can't even organize or save my emails as I get them. Forget even travelling anywhere, I can even be in the same city and can't download my emails into outlook unless I'm at home, that is such a joke.

pfak
Premium
Vancouver, BC

said by Tal56 :

I use Outlook on my laptop for business. If I travel anywhere, I can't download my email on outlook because I'm outside Shaw's network. I can only use the shaw webmail which is a joke, and I can't even organize or save my emails as I get them. Forget even travelling anywhere, I can even be in the same city and can't download my emails into outlook unless I'm at home, that is such a joke.
Why not just get Business internet? It provides IMAP access.
--

wriley
I'M Sick Of Fixing Your Computer.
Premium
join:2001-08-30
Edmonton, AB
reply to djpyxis

Shaw doesnt allow pop3 access outside the shaw network. you will have to use webmail.shaw.ca and call to let them know that ou would like to see pop3 access, the only way they will ever allow it is if they see enough demand for it.

E-merge Tech

@24.86.x.x

Greetings All,

First I have to say that this forum is impressive. Many of times I have been able to find answers to some obscure questions. To all those people who diligently answer questions time after time, a big thanks.

Ok now onto the current topic,

There are a few different ways around this, some more difficult than others and more security prone.

The one solution that has helped my clients without sacrificing security is forwarding all their shaw e-mails to a separate e-mail account (Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo, or perhaps a e-mail account through your business domain) Shaw will forward all the e-mails to your account, and also keep them in your own shawmail account. This way you can still access somebody@shaw.ca and check your e-mail there if you wanted.

Then you simply have to set-up your "dummy" account(Hotmail, Gmail, ect. ect.) on your e-mail program (outlook, outlook express, ect. ect.)

You can setup up forwarding through,

»secure.shaw.ca

Fill in your username and password

Click on the "Shaw's Internet Services" link

Click on the "Manage Email" link

Fill in the information

I hope this all helps everyone.

Sincerely,

Warren Aikema
Director of Operations
E-merge Design
warren@e-mergedesign.com
»www.e-mergedesign.com

PhoneBoy2

@shawcable.net
reply to djpyxis

You can't access hotmail with outlook and outlook express anymore unless you subscribe (ie. pay) hotmail or msn for an email account. If you were already doing it before they brought in this new restriction then I think you are automatically grandfathered in and don't need to pay as long as you keep the account.

As far as yahoo and gmail, I don't think you can access them from outlook or outlook express without some kludgy 3rd party software that microsoft will eventually break in some update.

pfak
Premium
Vancouver, BC

said by PhoneBoy2 :

As far as yahoo and gmail, I don't think you can access them from outlook or outlook express without some kludgy 3rd party software that microsoft will eventually break in some update.
Gmail supports POP3, AOL Mail supports IMAP..
--

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to PhoneBoy2

said by PhoneBoy2 :

Yahoo! has POP3 access for those willing to pay $19.99US per year for their premium service. For me, POP3 access comes, at no extra charge, with the ISP; SBC Yahoo! DSL Service GMail has POP3 access, and it has mail forwarding; I use the latter. AOL Mail, including the free Web mail service with the aim.com domain, has IMAP access.

Morphix

join:2005-06-26
Winnipeg, MB

You could also setup a proxy on a machine at home, that still has access to the shaw network.