spc
uniqs

jlester
join:2005-02-07
N. Calif.

4 edits

jlester

Weather At Wild Blue NOCs?

Here They Are: Maybe they can be linked up on the main WildBlue page. Either one link to all 5, or 5- seperate links would be Cool!

Riverside CA.
»www.weather.com/weather/ ··· m=search

Cheyenne, WY

Laredo, TX.

Syracuse, NY

Winnipeg, Canada(Satellite Image)
»www.weather.com/outlook/ ··· m=search

hdman
Flt Rider
Premium Member
join:2003-11-25
Appleton, WI

hdman

Premium Member

There should be a better way to see the Winnepeg weather. Do you have some data on where it is? We could then search for a better site that would give us a better view of the weather. Thanks for posting these!!! I hope the mods will add this as a fixed topic or whatever it is called. Thanks!!

HDMan

jlester
N. Calif.

jlester

HdMan- I could not find one. Feel free to google and post. I did not have much luck.

John

in the bush
@206.172.x.x

in the bush to jlester

Anon

to jlester
Here is the link for weather radar for Winnipeg from environment Canada. Enjoy. »www.weatheroffice.ec.gc. ··· l?id=XWL

seagreen
Mod
join:2001-05-14
out there

1 edit

seagreen to hdman

Mod

to hdman
said by hdman:

I hope the mods will add this as a fixed topic or whatever it is called. Thanks!!
We'll figure out a way to do it as soon as you all decide on which maps you want.
We should have the map of the areas covered by each NOC too as I suppose some people might not know which NOC to be looking at.
I'll temporarily "sticky" this thread while we sort this out.

hdman
Flt Rider
Premium Member
Appleton, WI

hdman

Premium Member

That is a good idea that we have a map of the US showing each beam with the supporting NOC, or a map showing wach beam number and a listing of the locations of each NOC.

Now....to find such a thing! I'm sure somebody probably has a map like this, but I will hunt around as well.

Thanks Seagreen.

HDMan

jlester
N. Calif.

2 edits

jlester

2wb s2.zip
647,568 bytes
(2wb s2.rtf)
Here is a Spot beam and Gateway location map.
A zipped file is all I could load............

seagreen
Mod
out there

1 edit

seagreen to jlester

Mod

to jlester
Ok, here's the image that jlester See Profile uploaded.

WB Gateways and Nocs

GamerSWG
@bellsouth.net

GamerSWG

Anon

Odd. I found a different map, on wildblue.cc

hdman
Flt Rider
Premium Member
Appleton, WI

hdman

Premium Member

The map you found shows the BEAMS...not the NOCS associated with the beams. The other map was posted so that people who know which beam they are on can then find where their NOC is located, then check the weather at the NOC to see if that is an issue...

HDMan

RFGuy_KCCO
join:2001-11-12
Niles, MI
Netgear CM2000
(Software) pfSense
Asus RT-AX86

RFGuy_KCCO

How about this Accuweather map for Winnipeg:

»wwwa.accuweather.com/can ··· &site=MB

blacksheep9
Aka Satguy
join:2005-09-13
Georgetown, CA

blacksheep9 to seagreen

to seagreen
You do know this map does not show where the gateways(NOCs) are physically located.:D
wxwest
join:2003-05-22
Loyalton, CA

2 recommendations

wxwest to jlester

to jlester
I am currently a Direcway subscriber, but planning to switch to Wildblue. I maintain a weather site and have read and considered all the posts in this thread and put together a page that may display all your needs for NOC weather information.

There is a wealth of weather information available. I used jlesters NOC graphic and linked each NOC area to National Weather Service radar images. Additionally, I have included a national composite radar image as well as a visible satellite image.

The IP is »www.wxwest.com/wildblue

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

blacksheep9
Aka Satguy
Georgetown, CA

blacksheep9

said by wxwest:

I am currently a Direcway subscriber, but planning to switch to Wildblue. I maintain a weather site and have read and considered all the posts in this thread and put together a page that may display all your needs for NOC weather information.

This is great. But we really need to isolate the actual Gateway (NOC) uplink locations. This is where the weather information is most critical.:)
wxwest
Loyalton, CA

wxwest

said by blacksheep :
...But we really need to isolate the actual Gateway (NOC) uplink locations...
I was under the impression that the cities identified in the earlier messages in this thread were the actual uplink locations. If someone can identify more specifically where those uplinks actually are, I can make those changes.

The data I have displayed reflects raw National Weather Service images. Perhaps a better display would be to use weather.com or accuweather data that has been cleaned up a bit. Any thoughts?

seagreen
Mod
out there

seagreen

Mod

said by wxwest:

I was under the impression that the cities identified in the earlier messages in this thread were the actual uplink locations.
It's my understanding that the cities listed in the first image are the NOC locations. The gold rectangles in the second image look like someone's attempt to place those cites on the map. Not terribly close in a couple of instances and there seems to be an extra one in British Columbia.

jm8
join:2003-09-21
Graceville, FL

jm8 to wxwest

to wxwest
From what I can gather here, it looks like your map is right. You took the time to map out the map, so that you click your spot beam and it opens the page for that NOC.

Rfsjr2
Shop on Top
Premium Member
join:2001-08-11
Ferndale, WA

Rfsjr2 to wxwest

Premium Member

to wxwest
said by wxwest:

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.
Damn fine effort, John.

seagreen
Mod
out there

seagreen to wxwest

Mod

to wxwest
said by wxwest:

Looks great. I think we need links to close radar for each site then we'd have the perfect page.

Rfsjr2
Shop on Top
Premium Member
join:2001-08-11
Ferndale, WA

Rfsjr2

Premium Member

said by seagreen:
said by wxwest:

Looks great. I think we need links to close radar for each site then we'd have the perfect page.
If you understand the image, it all makes sense. Learn to read the radar...

»www.wunderground.com/rad ··· help.asp

The dBZ values increase as the strength of the signal returned to the radar increases. Each reflectivity image you see includes one of two color scales. One scale represents dBZ values when the radar is in clear air mode (dBZ values from -28 to +28). The other scale represents dBZ values when the radar is in precipitation mode (dBZ values from 5 to 75).

blacksheep9
Aka Satguy
Georgetown, CA

1 edit

blacksheep9 to wxwest

to wxwest
I was under the impression that the cities identified in the earlier messages in this thread were the actual uplink locations. If someone can identify more specifically where those uplinks actually are, I can make those changes.

My mistake, I misinterpreted which map you used for the gateway locations. Everything looks great, a very nice tool for all.:D

jlester
N. Calif.

jlester

wxwest- Nice!
I think the close radar may be better but either way is great!
wxwest
Loyalton, CA

1 edit

wxwest to jlester

to jlester
Thanks for the compliments! I put the page together rather quickly, just to see if it was close to what everyone was looking for.

I'll spend some time tweaking it so it meets everyone's needs better. I'll add the close radar as well as a description of what is depicted. Perhaps the link that Rfsjr2 suggested, »www.wunderground.com/rad ··· help.asp should be added so the image maps are more meaningful.

Googled
Yay, I have FIOS
join:2001-08-13
Orchard Park, NY

Googled to jlester

to jlester

Weather At Syracuse NOC

There is a detailed weather map for Syracuse at:
»cctvimedia.clearchannel. ··· -res.jpg
(Linked to from »www.9wsyr.com/weather/De ··· ult.aspx)

A superpages.com search revealed a WildBlue Communications located at:
3182 Vickery Rd, Syracuse, NY 13212
This Google map of the address looks to be about the same scale as the doppler map. Assuming that I have the right address, the gateway is just above the 'c' in Syracuse on the detailed doppler map.
Googled

Googled to jlester

to jlester

Weather At Cheynne, WY Gateway

There is a more detailed doppler radar for Cheyenne at:
»www.crh.noaa.gov/radar/l ··· ys.shtml
The NOC appears to be situated just to the left of the 'C' in Cheyenne
460 Progress Circle, Cheyenne, WY 82007
Googled

Googled to jlester

to jlester

Weather At Laredo, TX

I couldn't find a very good doppler map for Laredo. This was the best I could find.
»www.srh.noaa.gov/radar/l ··· fx.shtml

superpages found the street address for WildBlue, but Google Maps couldn't find an exact match on the address
13611 Cabezut Drive, Laredo, TX 78045
13700 Cabezut Dr, Laredo, TX 78045

WBBeam28
@1dial.com

WBBeam28 to jlester

Anon

to jlester

Re: Weather At Wild Blue NOCs?

Click for full size
WildBlue is down for me right now (I'm on beam 28, Syracuse Gateway) -- found this thread doing a google search for wildblue gateway locations.

Great thread, lots of good info. I now know more than the NRTC tech support guy I spoke to an hour ago -- he didn't even know what a gateway was, let alone WHERE it was! ;^)

I fired up Google Earth to see if they had hires imagery of Syracuse, and, by dingey, they do! I pasted the address given above, and got a 15cm resolution image of the gateway address -- I've attached it here.

The three dots in the center of the image are probably satellite dishes -- you can get an idea of the scale by the car on the road to the right.

WBBeam28
Mr_DNS
join:2005-09-07
Laredo, TX

Mr_DNS

said by WBBeam28 :

The three dots in the center of the image are probably satellite dishes
I rather doubt it...they most likely are on South side of the building...and most likely, painted white.
Expand your moderator at work
Mike_27
Premium Member
join:2004-05-15
Gardiner, MT

Mike_27 to WBBeam28

Premium Member

to WBBeam28

Re: Weather At Wild Blue NOCs?

the three dots are trees ....