share rss forum feed

i347i

join:2003-11-13
Bayside, NY

Wireless-B Router BEFW11S4 Constant DIsconnects

Wireless-B Broadband Router BEFW11S4
Firmware Version: 1.50.14
My ISP is verizon dsl

Is this due to the router or the modem, before i used the router i never had a problem.

ZOverLord
Premium
join:2003-10-20
Minneapolis, MN
Well, it could be two things based on the following.

1. Who is your ISP? If it is a cable ISP and you are using a modem, you will need to CLONE your MAC address, in most cases, when a cable modem sees more than ONE MAC address it will freeze. So read your router manual and set a CLONED MAC address.

2. You need to check ALL your Media players and disable UDP and multi-casting on ALL of them, this router does not handle UDP and multi-casting well. Make sure this is done for ALL computers on your network.
--
Black, Grey and White Hats Unite here -> »testing.OnlyTheRightAnswers.com

i347i

join:2003-11-13
Bayside, NY

1 edit
reply to i347i
where would i disable these things, i dont run any media players at startup so that shouldnt be a problem but thanks for the heads up about it

edit
When I forward my ports I can't access my workgroup computers and that is when drops occur. (I just unforwarded my ports for a bit and I saw the differences)

RussC

join:2005-10-20
Ravenna, OH

1 edit
reply to i347i

Re: Wireless-B Router BEFW11S4 Constant DIsconnect

This is a post I made on another forum. This thread is the closest one to the problem I'm having. The SBC tech told me to come here and post. The game I'm talking about in the post is Dark Age of Camelot. It's an online rpg.

This is going to be long, but hopefully someone out there can help me with this since SBC and Linksys can't. I'll try to shorten it as much as possible.

What I have:
-SBC Speedstream 5100 DSL Modem w/3mb down 512mb up
-choice between 2 Linksys routers 4 yr old 4 port vs (befw11s4)Wireless-B w/4 port hub built in (just bought for like $5, 2 weeks ago)
-3 pc's, all WinXP w/AMD 3000,1600, and a P4 2.8ghz HT

Been using the old router, all 3 machines running internet and DAoC fine. 2 weeks ago I got a good deal on the wireless router and decided to give a try (so I could browse the web in the living room with my laptop). So anywho, I set up a SSID and WEP key inside the router and turned off broadcast of the SSID. I'm a systems admin so I have a general knowledge about setting up wireless, but home is different than work, since we setup LEAP vs WEP at work.

Back to the problem, after configuring my new router everything was fine until we had a brief power outage. After that it went downhill fast. I tried to get online after the power came back up and nothing came up. After fiddling with everything, I reset the router back to the default settings. I called SBC and the automated system did a line check and boom I was on. I couldn't figure out if it was me going back to the defaults on the router that had anything to do with it or not. So all 3 machines were up again. Later in the week I was on my laptop and realized I needed to set up my wireless again. (i must've forgotten what happened last time I did this) Well it ran fine for a few days and I think I kicked the power cord for the modem and it reset, yaahoooo, back to being down again. This time it's worse. I can connect my modem to my pc and it works. I think it still has issues but it works. Reset the router to defaults, plug in the modem and I have internet, but now I get spikes/disconnects. Might be fine one minute, then it locks internet/daoc for like 20 seconds. Might go 5 minutes before it locks again or may be 30 seconds. Varies. I've hooked the old router back up and it's having the same issues also.

Even when the internet seems fine, daoc is horrid. I could log 2 characters in a central city, and stand them next to each other but can't see each other, can see other people standing around. They can't autofollow because one or the other will lag. (yes it's on 2 different comps) It's like they take turns lagging.

I've tried setting up the modem to log in w/ router on dhcp, and I've also tried setting up PPoE on the router vs the modem. Either way I can get online, but have the horrid lag spikes on internet and daoc. It's messed up. I've been running speed tests on toast.net and sometimes the page will load and say I have a 2mb connection, the next time it won't load at all. Have to wait 20 seconds and try again.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it. SBC says it's not an issue with my modem, and Linksys says it has to be the modem.

I did notice that I had Kaspersky.exe running in my processes. Looked it up and found out it was a worm. I deleted it and the registry files associated with it. Still have the same latency issues, even with kasper not in my processes. Wife played daoc last night, and was still on this morning when I woke up (leading raids). She said she dropped connection a few times and had to restart her pc completely. We've never had an issue with disconnects until this. Wish I never woulda messed with the wireless router. DOH!

Thanks.

loli
Premium
join:2002-08-26
South Richmond Hill, NY
reply to i347i
I have the same problem. The semi-fix I have to resort to is to turn wireless off in the router settings. The spike, drop of connections goes away.

When its on however, it is total crap and cant get online 90% of the time.
--
Seti @ Home || Team Discovery || Team Helix ||

ZOverLord
Premium
Minneapolis, MN
reply to i347i

Re: Wireless-B Router BEFW11S4 Constant DIsconnects

said by i347i:

where would i disable these things, i dont run any media players at startup so that shouldnt be a problem but thanks for the heads up about it

edit
When I forward my ports I can't access my workgroup computers and that is when drops occur. (I just unforwarded my ports for a bit and I saw the differences)
Not running any Media players at start-up does not mean anything. Here is a great example to prove this theory.

Go here:

»video.search.yahoo.com/search/vi···=g&x=wrt

Try playing these file types;

.avi, .wmv, .mpg, .mov

Each media player has config options, you need to locate them and disable muti-casting and UDP in all of them and on all computers using your network both Wired and Wireless because this router will HANG and FREEZE when a computer on your network attempts to PLAY these file types.

Media Players are invoked AUTOMATICALLY so they are not required to be started at startup in all cases, if a web page senses that you are BROADBAND that web page may attempt to launch one of these media players based on what file extensions are assigned to it.
--

loli
Premium
South Richmond Hill, NY
reply to i347i

As good as a fix that could be, there should be no need for it Zoverlord. Really appreaciated the idea of this as it helped out for a few days before it crapped out again.
--

ZOverLord
Premium
Minneapolis, MN
said by loli:

As good as a fix that could be, there should be no need for it Zoverlord. Really appreaciated the idea of this as it helped out for a few days before it crapped out again.
Did you try the different Media types, and did you Lock up? Because if you did it proves that it is a Media Player on one of your computers causing the problem.

Yes I agree there SHOULD be no need for doing this, but the only other solution is to buy a new router, for the moment this seems like a cheaper solution.
--

loli
Premium
South Richmond Hill, NY
said by ZOverLord:

said by loli:

Did you try the different Media types, and did you Lock up? Because if you did it proves that it is a Media Player on one of your computers causing the problem.

Yes I agree there SHOULD be no need for doing this, but the only other solution is to buy a new router, for the moment this seems like a cheaper solution.
What router would you recommend? the WRT54G?
--

Moody_Blue

join:2004-01-21
Portugal
Go to linksys site at install firmware 1.52.02. I had 1.50 and the router was extremely unstable at the time. I don't remember my experience with 1.50.14, I remember that it was better than 1.50.

Also disabling DHCP and setting MTU at 768 (the same for fragmentation and RTS thresholds) kept it very stable for 3 concurrent wireless computers.

ZOverLord
Premium
Minneapolis, MN
said by Moody_Blue:

Go to linksys site at install firmware 1.52.02. I had 1.50 and the router was extremely unstable at the time. I don't remember my experience with 1.50.14, I remember that it was better than 1.50.

Also disabling DHCP and setting MTU at 768 (the same for fragmentation and RTS thresholds) kept it very stable for 3 concurrent wireless computers.
After changing the Media Players and the MTU size to 1,500 this router has been ROCK SOLID for months. With 2 wired and 3 wireless computers.
--

ZOverLord
Premium
Minneapolis, MN
reply to loli
said by loli:

said by ZOverLord:

said by loli:

What router would you recommend? the WRT54G?
I would recommend keeping this one, and just doing the changes, unless you need more speed as in 802.11g
--

Moody_Blue

Portugal
reply to i347i

Re: Wireless-B Router BEFW11S4 Constant DIsconnects

Well, I have UDP and multicast activated in my video players and I can play the following video without problem (the others in the yahoo test site also work, but are too slow to load):

»pwp.netcabo.pt/0163818101/maridocreativo.wmv

I was not aware of this udp/multicast limitation of the BEFW11S4 and, to be honest, I have never experienced it, is there a paper or article that explores this further ?

ZOverLord
Premium
Minneapolis, MN
said by Moody_Blue:

Well, I have UDP and multicast activated in my video players and I can play the following video without problem (the others in the yahoo test site also work, but are too slow to load):

»pwp.netcabo.pt/0163818101/maridocreativo.wmv

I was not aware of this udp/multicast limitation of the BEFW11S4 and, to be honest, I have never experienced it, is there a paper or article that explores this further ?
What version do you have hardware wise of the BEFW11S4?
--

Moody_Blue

Portugal
reply to i347i
I have V4 with 1.52.02 firmware.

ZOverLord
Premium
Minneapolis, MN
said by Moody_Blue:

I have V4 with 1.52.02 firmware.
See that's what's so TWISTED, maybe there were 2 versions of V4 or there were some Hardware mods done during production, because it seems some have this problem and some do not.
--

TechKnow_nd

join:2005-12-07
Indianapolis, IN
reply to RussC

When your describing your re-hookups after you loose connection, your not mentioning that your re-configuring the router for PPPoE and inputing your DSL service user name and password. If you don't do this, your connection will never stay up for more than a few minutes because you are not authenticated to the DSL network.
Another good thing to do with SBC DSL is to clone your PC's MAC address onto the router, in some areas the service may not give out an IP address to a router.
If you configure your router for PPPoE and input your settings, you should be good to go, but you have to do that every time you hard reset the router via the button on the back.
One more secret I will tell you about that router is that is is an old model, and I have had issues with several of this model on the wireless side. It works great for awhile, but then it either drops you or you can never connect to the wireless side even though you can see the network. My advice would be to upgrade to a new Wireless-G router when you can -- that will give you much faster speeds and better (standardized) security and encryption.

TechKnow_nd

join:2005-12-07
Indianapolis, IN
I've done even more research on this issue, an YES it IS the router. SAVE YOUR SANITY, GET A NEW ROUTER!

Read this:

»www.virtualtravelog.net/entries/···nce.html