uniqs
share rss forum feed

Newegg
Comcast steals modems

join:2004-11-14
Norcross, GA

1 edit

The car shakes when I hit the brakes hard

I let the calipers hang when I changed the pads but the car goes straight but I do have brake problems when I brake hard.

The car shakes when I hit the brakes hard and it sounds like the calipers together with the brake pads skip off the rotors and hit against the rims making a rumbling noise. The steering wheel also shakes. Anybody know why that happens? I already checked them and there are no loose bolts. Maybe it's a problem with the ABS. I don't even know if the car has ABS.
It's been like this for months now.
Its a 2000 Hyundai Elantra. I just did tire rotation today.
--
Sunset Clause on the Y Chromosome - Believe it.

CrippleFight

join:2001-07-11
Chi-Town
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·AT&T Southeast

Re: Alignment question

said by Newegg:

I let the calipers hang when I changed the pads but the car goes straight but I do have brake problems when I brake hard.

The car shakes when I hit the brakes hard and it sounds like the calipers together with the brake pads skip off the rotors and hit against the rims making a rumbling noise. The steering wheel also shakes. Anybody know why that happens? I already checked them and there are no loose bolts. Maybe it's a problem with the ABS. I don't even know if the car has ABS.
It's been like this for months now.
Its a 2000 Hyundai Elantra. I just did tire rotation today.
the shaking is because your rotors are warped, you need to get them turned/machined or get new ones if they dont have enough material left. If you take it to Pep-boys it is $8 a rotor to get them machined smooth.

imrf
Premium
join:2002-06-06
Utica, MI
reply to Newegg

said by Newegg:

The car shakes when I hit the brakes hard and it sounds like the calipers together with the brake pads skip off the rotors and hit against the rims making a rumbling noise. The steering wheel also shakes. Anybody know why that happens?
Sounds like warped rotors.

Newegg
Comcast steals modems

Norcross, GA
reply to CrippleFight

said by CrippleFight:

the shaking is because your rotors are warped, you need to get them turned/machined or get new ones if they dont have enough material left. If you take it to Pep-boys it is $8 a rotor to get them machined smooth.
said by imrf:

Sounds like warped rotors.
Thank you both. Chances are I wont have them machined since I can still brake hahahah
--

Muscles
Premium
join:2003-08-09
The Gym
kudos:3

having warped rotors can also cause other damage, i had warped rotors and it just cuased a mess with the wheels and suspension

i had that feeling for a couple years and just thought it was normal

if its 8bucks, its not much.....it'll save you a lot of trouble later

Lou_n_Di
Everyone Needs A Hero
Premium
join:2001-01-18
Seymour, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T DSL Service
reply to Newegg

Re: The car shakes when I hit the brakes hard

Inspect them first- look for obvious things--
Loose fasteners, worn pads...In most instances it's an issue with pad deposition on the rotor and not a warped condition....
You can try to re-bed your pads-
A few hard stops from say 40 mph should yield a difference in the pedal feel.
PS it wouldn't be a bad idea to have your dealer inspect them if you're not to sure of what you're doing

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18

2 recommendations

reply to Newegg

said by Newegg:

Chances are I wont have them machined since I can still brake hahahah
When it wears out more expensive parts over the $16.00 dollars cost to true the two rotors, I'm saddened.

You are literally shaking the front end to an early death. Bushings, bearings, shocks/struts, caliper slide pins and bushings are all being worn at an accelerated rate. Not to mention, your brakes are up to 30 percent less effective since the pads are literally being bounced left to right in the caliper which will over time egg-hole the caliper bore making the caliper piston cock sideways and stick in the bore. Then you are looking at much more than $16.00 dollars.

Please be careful and reconsider.

Regards,

Doctor Olds
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?
Expand your moderator at work

MrClean132
Sassy 'Medic
Premium
join:2000-08-28
Toronto, On
reply to Newegg

Same thing happened on our Voyager when we did the brakes on them.

It's much better for 16$ to get it smoothed, then to drive like that. Shaking brakes on a front heavy van is not an idea of fun for me

mph300
Two Thirds The Way There

join:2000-11-09
reply to Muscles

said by Muscles:

having warped rotors can also cause other damage, i had warped rotors and it just cuased a mess with the wheels and suspension

For just a little more than the 8-10 dollars you will spend on machining each of the rotors, you can have brand new rotors instead. Most later model cars do not have enough metal on them to be machined and stay above the minimum thickness requirements for the specific rotors.

After 20 years in the automotive industry, I have found that new rotors are the best bet with most late model, front drive vehicles.

Check the rotors for your car out here for 19.99

Mike
--
CH3NO2

chmod
Premium
join:2000-12-12
Lockport, IL
reply to Newegg

Most places around here refuse to turn them because of lawsuits. You can still find places that will but its becoming less common.
--
Knowledge is your best defense.

MikeKolo
Premium
join:2002-03-03
reply to Doctor Olds

said by Doctor Olds:

said by Newegg:

When it wears out more expensive parts over the $16.00 dollars cost to true the two rotors, I'm saddened.

You are literally shaking the front end to an early death. Bushings, bearings, shocks/struts, caliper slide pins and bushings are all being worn at an accelerated rate. Not to mention, your brakes are up to 30 percent less effective since the pads are literally being bounced left to right in the caliper which will over time egg-hole the caliper bore making the caliper piston cock sideways and stick in the bore. Then you are looking at much more than $16.00 dollars.

Regards,

Doctor Olds
Doc I get this constantly. I tell my customers what it's going to take to repair their brakes correctly and I always seen to get someone that has had a friend or neighbor that is a "mechanic" telling them that all they need t do is replace the pads/shoes and that's it.

To do a proper brake job the rotors/drums have to be machined. It not only helps the pads/shoes to seat properly but also trues the braking surface they mate to. It's sometimes hard to deal with but in the end I refuse service unless I'm allowed to do the job correctly.

Muscles
Premium
join:2003-08-09
The Gym
kudos:3
reply to mph300

said by mph300:

said by Muscles:

For just a little more than the 8-10 dollars you will spend on machining each of the rotors, you can have brand new rotors instead. Most later model cars do not have enough metal on them to be machined and stay above the minimum thickness requirements for the specific rotors.

After 20 years in the automotive industry, I have found that new rotors are the best bet with most late model, front drive vehicles.

Check the rotors for your car out here for 19.99

Mike
yeh wahts what i did, 50 bucks for new front rotors, but the stopping power was increased so greatly i was really surprised.

MikeKolo
Premium
join:2002-03-03
reply to Doctor Olds

said by Doctor Olds:

said by Newegg:

Regards,

Doctor Olds
Oh and the other thing that've you mentioned about stress to other parts of the vehicle. You are so correct. Pulsating front brakes will cause suspension parts to be stressed to unbelievable limits. As those calipars are trying to stop the vehicle with out of true rotors the havoc it's causing to the steering and suspension is unthinkable.

Newegg
Comcast steals modems

Norcross, GA

1 edit
reply to Newegg

It does not happen in normal day to day braking only when I have to stop suddenly. The car needs other things done. A timing belt is at the top of the list as well as an oil change and a fuel filter and maybe new spark plugs also.
--

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to Newegg

I need to ask... is it the whole car that "shakes" or are you just experiencing the pedal feedback when the ABS kicks in? I ask that because you say under normal braking everything's okay... that you only notice a problem under hard, or panic, stopping. If you're not ready for it, the pedal feedback can be quite disconcerting. Not only does it feel like the car is shaking apart, but it can be pretty noisy, too!

If it were warped rotors I would think you would experience some shake all the time. It's very easy to warp the rotors anytime a wheel is mounted, due to excessive or uneven torque applied to the lug nuts, so that is still a good possibility.

My gut feel is that you're just experiencing ABS brakepedal feedback. Best bet, though, considering the safety aspect of a possible problem, is to get a qualified mechanic to check things out.
--
"...this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."

Glenn
I'D Rather Be Skiing
Premium
join:2000-10-05
Wallingford, CT
reply to Newegg

I read a great article about how rotors don't actually warp, but it's more of an uneven wear or built up of material on the rotor faces. I'll see if I can dig it up again, it was a very interesting read.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18

I'd love to see that as they do warp from the heat. They also can have the parallelism out of sync. I've never seen anything "build up" on a rotor surface (except rust when not in use or from a junk yard set of rotors) as they are actually wearing out as they are used.

Regards,

Doctor Olds
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?