flavoredair
join:2005-10-23
Rockville, MD

flavoredair

[Wired] WRT54G very slow downstream

Quick info:
Router: WRT54G v.5 firmware
ISP: Comcast High-Speed Internet

For the last few years, I've used a Linksys BEFSR41 router for my home network, and it ran quite well. Last week, I replaced it with a Linksys WRT54G so I could have a little freedom (and enjoy my PSP's wireless features).

Problem is, there's a considerable slowdown using the WRT54G. Spent an hour with Comcast folks and an hour with Linksys folks, and they couldn't figure it out. We ran speed tests with the WRT, the BEF, and with no routing, and everytime it came out that the WRT was 1/2 the downstream speed of the BEF or an unrouted connection. So, obviously the router is the issue.

I can't return it to Best Buy 'cause I already sent the UPC in for a rebate, so, I'd like to know if there's any way to possible fix this problem. Remember, it's an issue with the speed of the WIRED connection.

Thanks guys.
flavoredair

flavoredair

Please note: Router is v.5, firmware is 1.0.0. Sorry bout that.

Tokidoki
Premium Member
join:2002-08-26
South Richmond Hill, NY

Tokidoki to flavoredair

Premium Member

to flavoredair
Can you disable wireless on the router? Turn it off and do a speed test really quick. I know you are connected with an ethernet cable but I want to see if its anything like the issue I had with the BEFW11S4
flavoredair
Rockville, MD

flavoredair

That didn't help. Speed test before and after were pretty close (less than 50k downstream difference).
mvpposada20
join:2003-12-07
East Brunswick, NJ

mvpposada20 to flavoredair

to flavoredair
update firmware?
flavoredair
Rockville, MD

flavoredair

Firmware version is 1.0.0. Same version is available for download. No changes.

volumen1
Premium Member
join:2002-10-11
Missoula, MT

volumen1

Premium Member

I have this exact same unit and the exact same problem. The location has Earthlink DSL. With the WRT54G out of the picture (connecting directly to the DSL modem) I get roughly 1200k/768k (down/up). When I connect the WRT54G and then connect to it, either wired or wirelessly, I get 60k/768. Yup, you are reading that right. 60 freaking k.

I don't see any updated firmware on Linksys's site and I'm about to call support now. God help me.

DorkFaceOne
@dnvtco56.dynamic.cov

DorkFaceOne to flavoredair

Anon

to flavoredair
Same exact problem here. Had to go back to the old BEFW11S4. I am on earthlink here and my DSL is showing 60 down and 380 up. I have tried everything from different NIC's, cables, bios flash, etc.

The upstream is the same on either router but the down is cut to 60.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh
rpellegr
join:2002-09-22
Haledon, NJ

rpellegr to flavoredair

to flavoredair
same problem here. i just received my new router from Amazon. It is much slower than my old SMC 7004wvbr. This is a WRT54G v5 running the latest firmware v1.00.00.

I'm also disappointed that i cannot run the DD-WRT firmware. Apparently the WRT54G v5 actually has less memory than the earlier versions.

HELP.

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Winchester, CA

2 edits

viperm to flavoredair

Premium Member

to flavoredair
Sounds like a WAN port speed negotiation problem we see this all the time. Linksys uses cheap compnenets that dont Auto negotiate very well with other devices. If you have the option to force your modem and or router to 10 meg 1/2 duplex try that.. We run a WISP (wireless ISP) and force all radios to 10 meg 1/2 duplex when connecting to Linksys routers because most dont support 100 Meg on the wan ports from what we have seen.

Here are the speeds I get on my WRTG54G with wireless on etc..
Firmware Version: Alchemy-V1.0 v3.37.6.8sv

»lax.speakeasy.net

Last Result:
Download Speed: 2588 kbps (323.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1026 kbps (128.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
rpellegr
join:2002-09-22
Haledon, NJ

1 edit

rpellegr to flavoredair

to flavoredair
called Linksys last night and was pleasantly surprised.

It is an MTU issue. I had to change mine from AUTO to 1485. Works fast now.

I am an Cablevision / OptOnline customer.

Mark Perry
@dsl.irvnca.pacbell.n

Mark Perry to flavoredair

Anon

to flavoredair
I have the exact same problem. Just bought mine today, hooked it up and bingo, slow internet. My normal downstream speed is 1272 with 319 up. Now I get 168 down and 315 up. I tried the MTU fix but no go. I have the most up-to-date firmware v5 1.00.00 but I reflashed it anyway at the request of linksys. Still have the problem. They now want me to take it back to the store claiming that its a defective unit. I have my doubts about that from reading all these posts but I will give it a try. I'll update when I get a new unit to see if it fixes the problem.
Mark Perry

Mark Perry

Anon

Oh, btw. I forgot to post. I also have the wrt54g v5 with SBC global and Windows XP SP2. Dont know if that matters but I might as well post everything.

evilzyx
@comcast.net

evilzyx to flavoredair

Anon

to flavoredair
Try setting to your MTU to 1468.
evilzyx

evilzyx

Anon

The above number (1468) is for cable. Try 1452 for DSL.
pj714
join:2005-11-01

pj714 to flavoredair

to flavoredair
Try lowering down the MTU value of your router.

For DSL connection, try 1482 and decrement it by tens.
For Cable connection, try 1400 and decrement it by tens also.

To access the setup page of the router, try to go to your command prompt or the DOS prompt.
For XP&Win200:Click start, hit run and type "cmd" and hit ok
For Win98&ME: Click start, hit run and type "command" & hit ok.

In the command prompt, type "ipconfig/all" and hit Enter
Get the value of your default gateway and type this in the address bar in your internet explorer. It will be asking you for a username and password. Just leave the username as blank and type "admin" in the password. Note: admin is the default password for the linksys routers.

Hope this will help you guys. Good Luck.

Mark Perry
@dsl.irvnca.pacbell.n

Mark Perry to flavoredair

Anon

to flavoredair
Ok, here is what I've found. I went back and exchanged the router for a new one. Got home and set it up. Same problem. So I re-flashed the firmware. No help. I tried changing the MTU from 1492 and then decreasing by 10 all the way down to 262 before I gave up. Each time it only made a very slight difference. +/- 40 kbps. Then the "senior tech" at linksys wanted to check my pings. We did several pings and I had a ping of 16 to yahoo. So he said "sounds good to me. Must be just an error in the speed test your using" I couldnt believe that they would have the nerve to try that with me. After a little arguing and a little verbal berateing on my part, he finally admitted that the WRT54G v5 has issues with DSL. He says that it works well with cable but they have not been able to get it working well with a lot of DSL services. He recommended that I go back and try to get a v4 unit as it works well with DSL. I dont know how much faith to put in what they are telling me anymore though. But I've liked linksys in the past and dont think I will let one bad experience change my mind yet. So just a warning, if what they say is true, dont get a v5 if you have DSL. I'm going to try to find a v4 or possibly a totally different model all together. I'll update if I can get one to work.

peter_m
Premium Member
join:2005-07-13
Canada, QC

peter_m

Premium Member

Makes sense Mark Perry. V5 is using a different type of firmware, they are writing it from scratch and it's not unusual for "bugs" to creep in. Also not surprising that you where given a "Must be just an error in the speed test your using", all these wifi router manufacturers tend to not admit their faults. Great that you got an honest answer when you argued. We should never take there answers at face value.

Peter
TalkRadio
join:2004-06-23
Valrico, FL

TalkRadio

Geez, I'm reading the problems with the new V5 - and so many have chimed in with the same problem! It makes one wonder how in the heck this thing ever got past even preliminary testing at the factory. Somebody has to notice that the DL speed sucked.

I'll hang onto my V2 model! It's at the stock firmware level and it works like a charm with FIOS. 14900 > 15300 routine DL speeds. These new WRTs can't cost too much to buy now and any kind of warranty repairs/replacement would slash Linksys' profits on this model. Does anybody know just exactly *WHY* they changed? I guess I'm of the belief that if it ain't broke, why fix it? Why make the V5?

Mark Perry
@dsl.irvnca.pacbell.n

Mark Perry

Anon

Well, I just got back from the store. The place I bought it from (will remain nameless since not their fault) didnt have anything but v5. So I went to another store and found a v2.2 and bought it. Came home, hooked it up, and bingo, worked perfect. So, it seems that it IS indeed a problem with the v5 units. This v2.2 worked with only minor config. I left the MTU on "auto", put in my username and password and off it went.

So a warning to anyone with DSL. The v5 system does have issues with DSL according to linksys.
CyberTrip
join:2004-11-22
Ridgecrest, CA

CyberTrip to flavoredair

to flavoredair
I am a cable modem installer and I have had numerous issues with the WRT54G V5 on our cable system. There is firmware v1.0.2 but no fix. IMO Linksys should recall these models from retail stores and fix it ASAP. Right now i'm just telling people to return it and get a Netgear router.
ppotter10
join:2005-11-06

ppotter10 to flavoredair

to flavoredair
Have the same problem here. 4Mbit down to 0.5Mbit Strangly enough when I connect to the university via VPN the speed increases a lot but it's still 2/3 of the maximum.
VikenB
join:2002-01-28
Anaheim, CA

VikenB to flavoredair

to flavoredair
I have the same exact problems with a newly installed WRT55G. The MTU tweak doesn't even work below 1482. I have less than half the download speed on my wired desktop and less than 300 Kbps on my wireless notebook. I guess it is time to return the router. Linksys tech support was helpless too.

ISP: SBC/Yahoo DSL Pro

meatball15
@co.riverside.ca

meatball15

Anon

Just "upgraded" from Buffalo WBR2-G54 a WRT54G v5 from Amazon.com. Yup slow downloads. Went from approx. 2.5Mbps to 1.4Mbps. Gonna just send it back until Linksys gets their act together or try to find a v2.
doug6949
join:2004-02-03
Lagrange, GA

doug6949 to flavoredair

to flavoredair
I've been doing quite a bit of research on the WRT54G lately. The firmware was Linux-based up until version 5. The V5 units use VxWorks firmware. I also read somewhere that version 5 has significantly less flash and ram memory but cannot confirm this.

It appears that Linksys decided to switch to proprietary software to prevent users from tweaking cheap routers to make them work like expensive routers. The Linux GPL required Linksys to make the firmware open-source.

The people over at wrt54g.net recommend against buying the version 5. Version 4 serial numbers begin with CDFA whereas version 5 serials start with CDFB. This is visible on the box near the UPC.

Staples has the WRT54G for $39.99 after easy rebate but all the local store had in stock was V5. I found one V4 left at the local Walmart for $49.99.

FYI, there are homebrew firmware tweaks (V4 and older) that can triple the output power and increase speed. See the above mentioned URL.

Doug
jwelhouse
join:2002-07-30
Solon, OH

jwelhouse to flavoredair

to flavoredair
I have the same problem with 2 v5s, one on Comcastr cable and one on Adelphia. Very diappointed in Linksys.
stuntcow
Mooo
join:2001-08-09
Bay Area

stuntcow to doug6949

to doug6949
They seem to be just re-arranging things... Cheaper WRT54G v5 for people who just want a router, WRT54GS for those who want a little bit more speed, and a new WRT54GL for those who want Linux. But it is kinda sneeky how they just basically downgraded the hardware of WRT54G and GS without renaming it something else.

KyleC
Nikon Guy
Premium Member
join:2001-12-13
Dallas, TX

KyleC to flavoredair

Premium Member

to flavoredair
I have this same problem with my mediacom cable...

I changed the MTU on the router, do i have to change it on my computers as well?

i changed it on router, and it is no difference...

I had the same problem with my befws11s4 v4 so i got a wrt54g and i have the same problem...pos linksys

hwertz
@avalon.net

hwertz to rpellegr

Anon

to rpellegr
I'd just return it and get a v4 or below, or some other brand. I have a v5 right now at my parent's house.. it's sitting unused on a shelf while I get more use out of an old BEFW11S4. With 1.00.0 *or* (current) 1.00.2 firmware this thing's a real jalopy. Speeds were OK for the little I used it, but they have several B cards, and compatibility is very poor. I had to set it from "Auto" to "B-Only" mode for them to work at all, and then 1 still acted up trying to associate. Also, if you disable SES (the Secure-EZ-Setup) it randomly reenables itself which is no good since I already have WEP keys etc. setup.

The hardware's certainly willingly, so here's hoping 1.00.3 or whatever will fix it up.
join:2005-11-15
Davis, CA

to flavoredair
I have the same DSL speed issues as well as stability problems with the v5 router. One speed test gives me my 300kb just fine, another gives only 60kb. General internet browsing and my online games are slow. Even just the browser interface to control the router responds slow. Over time the speed of EVERYTHING gets slower and slower and eventually crashes. Upon restart it is a terrible pain to reconnect it to my DSL. I have on occasion restarted it two dozen times or so before it finally connected. All of these problems even with the firmware updated to 1.00.2.

I am returning router this ASAP.