uniqs
share rss forum feed

state
stress magnet
Premium,Mod
join:2002-02-08
Purgatory
kudos:6

[request] New feature: Automatic Topic Tracking?

Just noticed this tonight, and haven't seen it posted anywhere else so I'll assume it's new.

If you go to the "About page" for a forum (this one for example: »Forum Feature Requests) there's now a new option:

new topics in this forum will automatically appear in your updated-followed list

I like!
--
"To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research." --Steven Wright

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire
kudos:13

Re: New feature: Automatic Topic Tracking?

Well spotted! I like it too

Cudni

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
join:1999-05-28
kudos:15

1 recommendation

reply to state

it is designed for quiet forums - to save you checking them every day or more just in case someone posted a new topic there.

sashwa
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
kudos:17

I like also because I may be able to scale my favorites down some. The real quiet forms I have and do subscribe rather than put them in my favorites.

Thanks Justin.

MorWired
Premium
join:2001-03-03
reply to justin

said by justin:
it is designed for quiet forums - to save you checking them every day or more just in case someone posted a new topic there.
It's a feature I like very much, but am finding it to be a bit spotty in performance -- some threads will pop up in updated followed, and others won't. So far I haven't worked out a rhyme or reason -- is there a period of time that passes before a thread shows up? or, if this is not by design, what info would help to troubleshoot it?
--
Get your daily dose of wonder from the Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD).

justin
..needs sleep
Australian

it shows up for me ok. The only thing I can think of is that if a topic is started that is "held" (not approved) it will not show up even later when it is approved. This goes for the new features forum especially where all topics are like that.

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
Premium,MVM
Someshire

Would that affect this forum, where all new post are held for approval, the worst?

Cudni
--
....nothing but a well informed optimist
Help yourself so God can help you

justin
..needs sleep
Australian

well by definition this forum would not be one that new topic tracking would do any good for.

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
Premium,MVM
Someshire
reply to justin

said by justin:

This goes for the new features forum especially where all topics are like that.
Thanks. You did say that previously, i missed it big time

Cudni
--
....nothing but a well informed optimist
Help yourself so God can help you

MorWired
Premium
join:2001-03-03
reply to justin

said by justin:
it shows up for me ok. The only thing I can think of is that if a topic is started that is "held" (not approved) it will not show up even later when it is approved. This goes for the new features forum especially where all topics are like that.
That's likely it then -- no bug, just a variance in perceived usefulness. GREAT feature, thanks much.
--
Get your daily dose of wonder from the Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD).