christcorp
Premium Member
join:2001-05-21
Cheyenne, WY

christcorp to disgruntled68

Premium Member

to disgruntled68

Re: Intermittent Disconnects and Lag, Qwest DSL

If your dsl drops every time the phone rings, there are usually 2 things that cause this.

1; a bad filter in your house. If a filter is bad or missing it can cause the dsl to drop either when the phone rings or if someone picks up the phone with the bad filter.

2; The other reason could be on Qwest's side. It's called a POTS splitter. You have one of these if you have BOTH phone and DSL. It's what sort of combines the 2 together. There are a number of problems that can occur with a bad pots splitter. i.e. DSL works - phone totally dead, Phone works-dsl - totally dead, disconnects, etc...

I suggest that you hook up the dsl modem by itself. DISCONNECT ALL PHONES IN THE HOUSE. Do NOT have anything connected at all except the dsl modem. No filters, phones, directv, digital cable, or anything else in a phone jack. Then when you are up and surfing, take your cell phone and call your house. Technically it should just ring and ring. Unless you have voice mail in which case it will go to voice mail after so many rings. Anyway, see if when the line is ringing in your cell phone if it is dropping you off. If it DOESN'T, then it's probably one of the filters, jacks, or wiring. If it still disconnects, it's probably the POTS splitter with Qwest.

There is a slim chance that it's the modem so if you have a friend with DSL you can borrow their modem and try surfing while calling in also. Later... Mike....

AthlGrond
Premium Member
join:2002-04-25
Aurora, CO

AthlGrond

Premium Member

Cool more fodder for the FAQ!

See: »US West/Qwest DSL »Why Does My DSL Drop When My Phone Rings?