spc
Search similar:

uniqs

DownldThs
join:2003-10-26
Poughkeepsie, NY

DownldThs

Disable a specific Wireless Network?

My daughter's computer is connected to my home network wirelessly (She has a Wireless NIC in her PC, I've got the Wireless Router down here). Lately, We've been disabling the Wireless connection to curb her internet use when she has other things to do (chores, homework, etc...).

Anyway, it looks like she's picking up someone else's wireless network and connecting to it while our own is disabled.

I've gone into WindowsXP wireless settings and deselected "connect when in range", and made our own network #1 priority.
But, the outside Wireless network still appears in her Wireless network list and she can connect manually.

How can I hide this connection from her computer? Is there maybe a firewall setting I can create? (She doesn't currently have a firewall on her computer, as there's one built into my router).

I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

(I guess I could always log into the neighbors router and deny her MAC address, right? I mean, if their wireless network name is "linksys" then I'm sure the default username/password for that router hasn't been changed.
(I'd rather leave this as a LAST resort..)
DownldThs

DownldThs

Nevermind... I figured out who's Wireless network it was (admittedly, by logging into the router and looking at the computer names listed). I'm pretty cool with this particular neighbor, told him my situation, and had him enable security on his router (and lock out my daughter's MAC address).

I'm still curious to know of other ways to block a wireless network though, in case another neighbor puts one up.
Shootist
Premium Member
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA

1 recommendation

Shootist

Premium Member

Ok shoot me. Have a talk with your daughter and straighten her out as to stealing other peoples wireless signal and in stealing in general.
If that same neighbor leaves his keys in his car or in the front door of his house, or just leave the front door unlocked, is it OK for anyone to take his car or enter his house??? If it ain't yours don't touch it.

No there is NO setting in any OS that I know of to block this type of thing. More then likely there will be in the future because parent can't, or REFUSE to, discipline there children.

OK I'm done. Have a nice day.

AMDUSER
Premium Member
join:2003-05-28
Earth,

AMDUSER to DownldThs

Premium Member

to DownldThs
If you disabled the wireless card in the Windows XP - 'Device Manager' that would stop it from picking up any wireless networks entirely.

DownldThs
join:2003-10-26
Poughkeepsie, NY

DownldThs to Shootist

to Shootist
said by Shootist:

Have a talk with your daughter and straighten her out as to stealing other peoples wireless signal and in stealing in general.
she'd probobly be too stoned to listen.

click_310
Eat my shorts
join:2002-12-06
Savannah, GA

click_310

Ive been looking for a solution for a similar problem here, »Connect to AP with MAC address , no luck yet. Although you need to luck out our daughter, I am trying to use someone else's, every time my cable craps out.

SoonerAl
MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK

1 edit

1 recommendation

SoonerAl to DownldThs

MVM

to DownldThs
There was/is a long thread on this very same issue over on the Wireless Security forum...

»Hiding unsecured wireless networks

Personally I voted for the use of parental control software as a solution...

»Re: Hiding unsecured wireless networks