join:2004-08-05

1 recommendation

[PAP2] New useful utility for UNLOCKED PAP2's

Click for full size
Main Application ScreenShot
downloadVuckFonage 1···ease.zip 641,739 bytes  
Introducing VuckFonage 1.0.0 Release!

What does it do?
1) Downloads encrypted configuration files from a TFTP Host and decrypts those files (provided a valid encryption passphrase has been supplied).

2) Stores "profiles" of configuration settings and their respective "last received" and "last decrypted" configuration files. (It is recommended that profiles be named based on the MAC Address of the particular profile).

3) The downloading / decryption functionality above is already doable via third party programs: a TFTP client and the freely available (command-line driven) OpenSSL utility. VuckFonage merely provides an easy to use Windows interface combining both of these functions (and adding in profiles). That said...

*** Use this software at your own risk!!! ***

Installation / Setup:
1) This program is written in Microsoft .NET (under .NET Framework 1.1). Thus, ensure that you have the MS .NET Framework v1.1 installed on your computer. Any Windows OS w/ an available .NET Framework should be able to run this program. (It has been successfully tested under Windows XP & Windows 2003).

2) Unzip the attached file, run the "Setup.exe" program, and follow the prompts.

When prompted whether the program should be installed for "Just Me" or "Everyone," it's recommended to select "Everyone." (The .NET Installation Wizard defaults this selection to "Just Me").

3) After the program has been installed, an icon will be placed on the Desktop and a VuckFonage folder (w/ associated icons) will be created underneath the "All Programs" menu. Feel free to delete either set of icons you don't want.

4) Review the VuckFonage documentation. A shortcut to the documentation (in Adobe PDF format but w/ generic icon) will appear in the "All Programs\VuckFonage" folder.

5) Run the program and enjoy!

Note: VuckFonage accesses the internet (i.e. it performs UDP socket connectivity). Firewall software running on your computer will likely alert you that VuckFonage is trying to access the internet (or will simply block the program from doing so). If you want the program to work in full, you'll need to configure your Firewall Software to permit it internet access. (It can perform UDP connectivity on any port you select, so it's up to you to choose which ports to allow through your Firewall).

If you're only interested in maintaining profiles of configuration values (i.e. MAC Address + GPP_K values) w/o the corresponding remote encrypted/decrypted adapter configuration files, feel free to block internet access to the program.

Answers to questions you may have:
Q1: Does this program help in unlocking an adapter which has never been unlocked?
==========================================
A1: NO!!! This program is only useful for those who've already gone through the unlocking process of their adapters.

Q2: How much does this software cost?
A2: Somewhere between $0.00 and $FREE.

Q3: Why not pre-populate Provider XYZ's TFTP server settings in the "<Default Configuration>" profile that's included w/ the software?
A3: This program is purposely "generic" in nature so as to not target any one provider. It can be configured to download any file off of any TFTP server. It is however geared towards providers whom encrypt their TFTP files. Furthermore, you the user of the program can update your "<Default Configuration>" profile to include whatever default TFTP server you want.

Q4: How do I know this program is SAFE TO USE (i.e. that it's not spyware, scumware, adware, etc.)?
A4: This program was written to help the user community, not screw it. Until and unless the source code gets released, I can only offer you my word that this program contains no spyware, scumware, adware, etc. That said, if you're at all concerned about this application and/or my integrity, either don't run the program or run it in a test environment (such as a Virtual PC). Hopefully those who Beta Tested this program will chime in on whether the software is "safe."

Q5: Will the source code get released?
A5: The majority of the code for this software is uncommented. If/when I get around to commenting it, I'll consider releasing the source. Until then, it'll remain closed source.

Please use this thread to discuss any bugs/issues with the program

Please DO NOT use this thread to ask questions on how to unlock a particular adapter. Other more appropriate threads exist for that.

Rizzo

jfgnet
12 Step Program
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
Limbo
downloadPAP2.zip 16,819 bytes
(PAP2.doc)
DOC file

GTFan

join:2004-12-03
reply to rizzo2dial
said by rizzo2dial:

Introducing VuckFonage 1.0.0 Release!

Q3: Why not pre-populate Provider XYZ's TFTP server settings in the "<Default Configuration>" profile that's included w/ the software?
A3: This program is purposely "generic" in nature so as to not target any one provider. It can be configured to download any file off of any TFTP server. It is however geared towards providers whom encrypt their TFTP files. Furthermore, you the user of the program can update your "<Default Configuration>" profile to include whatever default TFTP server you want.
LOL, 'not targeting any one provider' doesn't jibe with the choice of program title.

Thanks Rizzo!

gatzdon

join:2002-10-25
Lake Zurich, IL
Sure it does??

I haven't tried it yet, but I bet it would work to get the configuration file off of Callpacket's servers.

meh123

join:2005-09-22
U.S.

4 edits
VF is great! Plugged in ls.tftp.[that crappy VoIP company from Edison, NJ that sounds a lot like Fonage].net and I was on my way...

Vuck-You Fonage!

Oh, and the program didn't even include any assware! I loved the program icon too.... great choice!

rizzo2dial
Premium
reply to rizzo2dial
Hopefully over the next week or so I'll test out the feasibility of enabling the web interface and gaining admin access to an initially unlocked PAP2 provisioned and (re-)locked to "Fonage".

Since I'm not a "Fonage" customer, I have limited opportunities to conduct such tests. Of course I'll use VuckFonage to obtain the data for the tests.

Has VuckFonage been useful/helpful for anybody besides me?

Rizzo

P.S. WTF is "assware?"

david_gruenb

join:2004-01-27
Los Angeles, CA

2 edits
I think it would be useful to me and I am grateful that you have written it, but I have yet to find detailed, step by step instructions on how to use it, save these, »voxilla.com/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t-6639.html. Maybe I need too much handholding or I am not the target audience for this software, but when I start fooling around with code and firmware, I like to have links to everything rather than hoping I located the right file only to find out later it was the wrong one. The PAP2 unlocking guide is 55 pages for example.

I'm sure this is real easy once you know what to do and I'm just dumb or scared, but for example, where do I find the XML provision encrypted file for Vonage (ie. what is the link)? Where is the GPP_K value located? How many characters is it supposed to have?

I am assuming someone will write the Dummies Guide to VuckFonage. Until then I will lurk. Thanks again for writing this. I wish I could use it.

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA
kudos:4
said by david_gruenb:

... where do I find the XML provision encrypted file for Vonage (ie. what is the link)?
Look at the back of your PAP2 unit and there is a MAC #. The way Vonage composes the XML provision file is by prefixing spa to the MAC # and ending it with a .xml. Thus, the XML provision file of your PAP2 unit is spa$MAC.xml. If your PAP2 MAC # is 001234567890, then its XML provision file name is spa001234567890.xml. You can retrieve the XML provision file of your Vonage PAP2 unit from its TFTP server as follows (assuming your PAP2's MAC # is 001234567890):
tftp -i ls.tftp.vonage.net -c get spa001234567890.xml

Perhaps, you should use this VuckFonage utility to retrieve the file by just entering your PAP2 MAC #, Vonage TFTP server, etc.

Where is the GPP_K value located? How many characters is it supposed to have?
The link you provided explains this very well. AFAIC, the steps mentioned in the link are very logical, simple, and very delicate, but they don't necessarily mean easy. You may need to go back to read it again and again until you understand the process and know where to find the GPP_K values as well as its length. If you can't comprehend the process, please don't even attempt to proceed to perform such a provision mainly because you may end up rendering your PAP2 unit(s) provisioned and locked by their previous (or factory default) VoSP. BTW, if you do a search in this forum, I believe you will be able to find the Admin Guide that was at least once posted here, perhaps in one of the posts on the PAP2 Unlocking Guide thread.

Good luck.

rizzo2dial
Premium
reply to david_gruenb
said by david_gruenb:

I'm sure this is real easy once you know what to do and I'm just dumb or scared, but for example, where do I find the XML provision encrypted file for Vonage (ie. what is the link)? Where is the GPP_K value located? How many characters is it supposed to have?
Did you take a look at the documentation included w/ the program? See STEP #4 in the OP for the location of the documentation.

As for the location of the XML provision encrypted file of your VoSP, that's what this program grabs (and decrypts) once you've populated the various REQUIRED input boxes.

Rizzo

P.S. The GPP_K value is located inside your unlocked PAP2. See the "Provisioning Tab" (under "Advanced Settings").

david_gruenb

join:2004-01-27
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks for the reply. I am using a unit from Staples originally designed to be used with Vonage. I unlocked it and now use Broadvoice and Callpacket.

I got your program to download a file from tftp.vonage.net port 69, but it says "decryption failed". I am using the GPP_K value from the Provisioning page and the MAC address from the Info page located inside my unlocked PAP2. I tried "Decrypt Last File Received" too. I saw something about editing the downloaded file and trying decryption again, but how? Thanks.

rizzo2dial
Premium

3 edits
I'd be curious to know where you saw something about editing the ENCRYPTED FILE to attempt re-decrypting. That sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

At any rate, if you're using the MAC ADDRESS located within your PAP2's Info Page (i.e. the web page which appears when you go into your PAP2's web interface), and if you haven't populated a TFTP Directory (i.e. GPP_D) value, then you may have mis-typed the GPP_K key (or didn't COPY/PASTE it in its entirety).

To make sure you grab the GPP_K passphrase IN FULL, do it as follows:

1) Within your PAP2's web-interface, click the mouse inside the GPP K input box so that you have a flashing cursor inside that box
2) On your keyboard, Press and release the Home key (to bring the cursor to the beginning of the box)
3) Press and hold the Shift key
4) Press and release the End key
5) This will SELECT the entire GPP K value. (You can now let go of the SHIFT KEY)
6) Hit CTRL+C (i.e. hold down CTRL then press and release 'C') to COPY the selected value to the Windows Clipboard.
7) Go into the VuckFonage GPP_K passphrase box (so that there's a flashing cursor in that box) and hit CTRL+V (i.e. hold down CTRL then press and release 'V'). This will PASTE the copied value.

Try re-decrypting again. If it doesn't work, IM me w/ your e-mail address so we can discuss this a bit more w/ the ability to send file attachments to one another.

Rizzo

kcyyk

join:2005-11-02
Scarborough, ON
reply to rizzo2dial
Why I got this message "Socket Error #10054(ConnectionResetByPeer)

Anyone can Help

rizzo2dial
Premium
It simply means the socket connection was closed by the "peer" you were connecting to (i.e. the TFTP Server on the other side).

In simpler terms: The TFTP connection abruptly dropped.

This could potentially be a firewall issue on your end, so make sure you've configured any firewall software to allow UDP access on whatever port(s) you're attempting to communicate on.

If the connection was genuinely reset by the peer, re-attempting the TFTP transmission at a later time (or on another valid TFTP port) usually works. In my experience, re-attempting the transmission immediately usually works too.

Rizzo
Expand your moderator at work

mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA
kudos:4

1 edit

Re: How to use openssl to make myown xml file

Mod note: There will be several deleted posts following this one, due to some clean-up to help keep the topic and instructions clear. -Macy

beachhobo

join:2005-11-27
Murrells Inlet, SC

How do I determine the VoIP TFTP address for VuckFontage...
I have gotten my config file from Vontage with no problem...

The other two I looking for are:
(1) CallPacket (TelePacket)
(2) ViaTalk

Can anyone help ???

rizzo2dial
Premium

1 edit
reply to papuser

said by papuser :

I understand that, I have got the GPP_K value, what I want to do is to make my own provision file and use the same GPP_K value to reencrypt it , but don't know how to encrypt it with openssl.
Somewhere in the gigantic PAP2 Unlocking Guide Thread is a post containing the proper openssl syntax for re-encrypting; however, I anyway intend to update VuckFonage so that you can re-encrypt right inside the program itself.

I've been pretty busy the last few weeks; however, I may have some time this week to resume coding.

Rizzo

pap2user

@ntscanada.com

any update to this utility

rizzo2dial
Premium
Sorry, not yet. I will post here @ BBR though once there are updates available.

trevi55

join:2004-09-09
reply to rizzo2dial

Re: [PAP2] New useful utility for UNLOCKED PAP2's

Really a great utility... No way to use it with linux? Or to make an application like this for linux users?
I've tried using it with linux, but .NET framework installs with warnings, and the application get the same problems, so it can't run

Any suggestion?

Bye and thanks for your work!
--
Motorola WR850G 6.14 Firmware Powered!Send me a private message to get it!

rizzo2dial
Premium
I guess I'd need to setup a Linux .NET development environment and try to compile the program under that.

So long as the Linux .NET environment contains ported versions of the MS socket & cryptography libraries, the rest of the code doesn't do anything overly special.

Rizzo

trevi55

reply to rizzo2dial
Good...!

I Hope you could do it!

I'm waiting for that...

CU!

rizzo2dial
Premium
reply to rizzo2dial

Re: [PAP2] New useful utility for UNLOCKED PAP2's

said by rizzo2dial:

Please use this thread to discuss any bugs/issues with the program

Please DO NOT use this thread to ask questions on how to unlock a particular adapter. Other more appropriate threads exist for that.
Friendly reminder from the OP.

edison303

join:2006-02-06
Denver, CO
reply to rizzo2dial
Hey rizzo2dial,

How about a file-open option? Would be handy for those of us who want to take a look at a config that we've already nabbed while we're offline.

The re-encrypt would be a cool feature, BTW.

rizzo2dial
Premium
said by edison303:

Hey rizzo2dial,

How about a file-open option? Would be handy for those of us who want to take a look at a config that we've already nabbed while we're offline.

The re-encrypt would be a cool feature, BTW.
It already (somewhat) has that capability using the SAVED PROFILE. Granted, it only lets you view the most recently downloaded/decrypted file for a given profile.

Rizzo

trevi55

reply to rizzo2dial
No news about linux version?