Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo
    All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dl0711

join:2004-06-27
London, ON

3 edits

Geocities Web Space without Ads - Subthread moved

said by mordin:

said by spaterson:

If the webspace wasn't active when they did the switch, then it'll have ads. If it was active, it's ad-free. Since you just set it up, you got ads.
Wrong, Rogers original announcement was:

As part of our ongoing commitment to give you better control over your Internet experience, we are upgrading you to an ad-free Rogers Yahoo! GeoCities service and retiring the old WebSpace servers.

YOUR ROGERS YAHOO! GEOCITIES SERVICE WILL HAVE THESE GREAT FEATURES:

* More - WebSpace 15 MB instead of 10 MB
* 200% more bandwidth - 3 GB per month instead of 1 GB
* No pop-ups, banners, or ads of any kind!
your right mordin

Canter Siegel

@cpe.net.cable.rogers

Re: Rogers DISCONTINUING Usenet service as of Dec

Before this thread gets totally hijacked, let's put this one to bed: spaterson was correct. If you didn't have an active website on Rogers prior to the switch to GeoCities, you didn't get the ad-free webhosting. You can underline ad-free all you like in the above letter, but that only applied to those who had a page up prior to the switch.

dl0711

join:2004-06-27
London, ON
said by Canter Siegel :

Before this thread gets totally hijacked, let's put this one to bed: spaterson was correct. If you didn't have an active website on Rogers prior to the switch to GeoCities, you didn't get the ad-free webhosting. You can underline ad-free all you like in the above letter, but that only applied to those who had a page up prior to the switch.
Not true Not true at all..

i have 7 email address with rogers all 7 have an active webspace account and was active before the change over and 6 out of 7 of my webspace accounts that are now active on the Geocities have ads.

so if what you say is true then why are the ads still on 6 of my webspace accounts??

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile

1 edit
Arghhh ... never seen so much arguing over something so obvious.

Your *primary address* with its website is definitely going to be ad free and probably the secondary addresses were supposed to be ... but considering the botch job Rogers made of transferring email addresses to Yahoo! and that they didn't make the websites ad-free from day one, it's not in the least surprising that the secondary address related web sites would get botched.

MATA7

join:2005-05-29
Mississauga, ON

1 edit
what crap server rogers offer to us, what {modded for content} diferent make if you have you site active or no
--
I HATE ROGERS, THEY USE TERRORISM AGAINST THEY COSTUMERS

spaterson
Premium
join:2001-09-02
Gloucester, ON

2 edits
reply to dl0711
said by dl0711:

said by Canter Siegel :

Not true Not true at all..

i have 7 email address with rogers all 7 have an active webspace account and was active before the change over and 6 out of 7 of my webspace accounts that are now active on the Geocities have ads.

so if what you say is true then why are the ads still on 6 of my webspace accounts??
I had two active web spaces before the switch. I moved them to the Yahoo/Geocities space before the deadline and they continued to be ad-free. I activated one after the Yahoo/Rogers love-in and it had ads. (I knew it would, but I felt like complaining.. so I did)

I emailed and spoke to people at Rogers about the whole mess and they wouldn't budge. I told them I was paying for LESS than I got before. That's when they hit me with the line "You're not paying for the web space. It's a freebee and always has been. You're only paying for internet access" or something to that effect.

I dug through my old email for a reply that they sent me. This is quoted from the email and explains the other condition to qualify for ad-free space:

Customers who had active WebSpace account(s) prior to July 13th 2004 (in Ontario) and December 1st 2004 (in Newfoundland) are eligible for the ad free version of Rogers Yahoo! GeoCities.

However, all customers have access to the Rogers Yahoo! GeoCities service to create their own Website. Customers who were installed with the Rogers Yahoo! Hi-Speed Internet service after July 13th 2004 (in Ontario) and December 1st 2004 (in Newfoundland) will have access to the ad-supported version of the Rogers Yahoo! GeoCities service at no additional charge.

So there ya go. If you had the web space before July 13th, and you moved it over to the Yahoo space before the Feb 2005 deadline, it should be ad-free. If it's not, call and complain.

Scott

mordin
42 inches of 1080p
Premium
join:2005-05-28
Moncton, NB

1 edit
Another example of Rogers shafting it's customers. 1st you have new members getting a 6meg connection while leaving grandfathered members paying $44.95 at 5 meg to try force them to start paying more. Now if you had a webpage with Rogers your Geocities page is add free, if you didn't you get ads on you page - the same thing you'd get from Geocities even if you didn't have Rogers. Nice of Rogers to provide us with another FREE (for Rogers) service.
--
P4 2.8 800 fsb, Asus P4P800 MoBo w/1Gig PC3200 RAM, 256 Meg GeForce 5600, Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer, DVD-Rom/CD-R Burner & LG Duel layer DVD Burner, 2x 120 Gig Hard Drives

dcorban

join:2003-07-13
Newmarket, ON
reply to dl0711

Re: Geocities Web Space without Ads - Subthread moved

My sites didn't get migrated until they finally shut down the old web server. I have no ads on the two secondary sites I actually use. I haven't checked any of the others.