spc
Search similar:

uniqs

AnonGuyHere
@67.54.x.x

AnonGuyHere

Anon

Bittorrent suddenly NOT working

got installed yesterday, was working great, as of this afternoon suddenly BT does not work AT ALL. I can connect to other peers, but my ul and dl speeds are zero. On the phone with support now. They insist that no ports are blocked.

HTML works fine
FTP works fine
1500 kbs all the way
uploaded 1 gb, dl'd 2 gb since yesterday
now P2P doesnt work at all.
If I hookup to my old sbc dialup connection, it works fine.
Azureus shows ports 6881-6889 as blocked, these are the typical ports. even if I manually change my listen port to a good port number, it still doesnt work

They tell me 'we dont offer support for peer to peer' and suggest its because of latency issues(which, IMO is impossible, I was d/ling at 1500 kbs, and uploading at 250 kbs all last night with the same latency. I am at a fraction of my FAP, I see no reason why they should restrict it, theres nothing in their agreement or usage policy preventing p2p of legal files within bandwidth limits. I spoke to a supervisor, who thinks they might have seen heavy traffic and put a block on it to protect against viruses. I'll report back here, as I know more.

jm8
join:2003-09-21
Graceville, FL

jm8

said by AnonGuyHere :

I am at a fraction of my FAP, I see no reason why they should restrict it, theres nothing in their agreement or usage policy preventing p2p of legal files within bandwidth limits.
Actually there is.
»www.wildblue.com/legal/a ··· licy.jsp
Prohibited Uses and Activities
(xiv) run programs, equipment, or servers from the Premises that provide network content or any other services to anyone outside of your Premises LAN (Local Area Network), also commonly referred to as public services or servers. Examples of prohibited services and servers include, but are not limited to, e-mail, Web hosting, file sharing, and proxy services and servers;

randyvsatus
Premium Member
join:2005-03-03
Monument, CO

randyvsatus to AnonGuyHere

Premium Member

to AnonGuyHere
I've been told by folks who can affect things that when WB sees heavy-steady activity they will limit it...whether it's voip or p2p.....guess we will have to wait to see if that is going to become widespread or not. I think the same thing is going on over at Dway as well.
Providers have discovered that if they stop the steady heavy use (users), they can better deliver promised speeds.

wolfridge
Premium Member
join:2003-03-01
Manson Creek, BC

wolfridge to jm8

Premium Member

to jm8
I have had Ka band less than 24hrs but have noticed that my Emule does not work on Ka. On Direcway it functions normally but on Ka nothing.

While watching my DU meter upload jump up to 14KBS and level off then after a few seconds they plummet to zero. After a few seconds at just above 0 they again go to 14KBS. This cycle keeps repeating with longer and longer stints of being throttled down to 0.

When I use a upload throttling program to limit upload speeds at under 2KBS then uploads remain level. Above 3KBS and the up down cycle kicks in.

I haven't had time to run at a throttled speed for long and probably won't for some time as I have VOIP to test first. With Direcway I always throttled my uploads to 1KBS otherwise I would hit FAP too soon. On Direcway unthrottled I would run uploads of over 200kbs normally.

jm8
join:2003-09-21
Graceville, FL

jm8

I too have noticed the same thing with emule. My Bittorent seems to continue to work, but emule dies out. This just started happening in the past week. I thought it was my sat connection, because I have had a very flaky connection lately.
joebob423
join:2005-11-07

joebob423 to wolfridge

to wolfridge
said by wolfridge:

While watching my DU meter upload jump up to 14KBS and level off then after a few seconds they plummet to zero. After a few seconds at just above 0 they again go to 14KBS. This cycle keeps repeating with longer and longer stints of being throttled down to 0.
You may be seeing the effects of the modem buffering data to transmit... to check this watch the Tx light on the modem; if it continues to show transmit activity even when your PC meter is at 0, then you're seeing the buffer effect.

Also, keep in mind, WB and Telesat run independant gateway systems, so their treatment of P2P traffic may differ.

wolfridge
Premium Member
Manson Creek, BC

wolfridge

Premium Member

You could be right as the transmit light remains about the same. I quess then it would have a much smaller buffer than Direcways modems?

AnonGuyHere
@67.54.x.x

AnonGuyHere to AnonGuyHere

Anon

to AnonGuyHere
thats odd that it's in their acceptable use policy, when I spent an hour on the phone last night with tech support, and explicitly worked thru p2p issues. it was sporadic throughout the night, and is working ok now. I dont know what (if anything), they changed. Still that acceptable use scares me, I dont want to commit to 2 years and then have them block file sharing support right after my 30 days is up.
BlitzBoy
join:2005-10-30
Portsmouth, VA

BlitzBoy to AnonGuyHere

to AnonGuyHere
I agree. Wildblue has great customer satisfaction and everything, but they need to quit with this banning port crap, it's getting ridiculous. It's the government's problem if people want to download illegal stuff.

AnonGuyHere
@67.54.x.x

Anon

to AnonGuyHere
its been working fine all day, I hope they have it resolved for good now.
AnonGuyHere

Anon

to AnonGuyHere
ok, some thoughts. It seems to be intermittent, I think once the port gets blocked if I change the port number and reboot the modem, it goes again. May be coincidence. I'll report more info when I can put my finger on it. They definitely have some way of blocking ports, when I look at my profile on a tracker, it shows my port as being blocked. Normally, you would get around this by port-forwarding your router, but obviously I dont have access to their router.

Guest33
@67.54.x.x

Guest33

Anon

Which spot beam are you on?

AnonGuyHere
@67.54.x.x

Anon

to AnonGuyHere
Beam 21.

it is intermittent, sometimes the tracker shows my ports as 'connectable' and if flys, other times, the are blocked, and it slows to a crawl.

Running 5 or 6 torrents at a time, I honestly had to reboot the modem/watched the modem reboot 5 times in the last 24 hours.
Mr_DNS
join:2005-09-07
Laredo, TX

Mr_DNS

said by AnonGuyHere :

Beam 21....I honestly had to reboot the modem/watched the modem reboot 5 times in the last 24 hours.
If your Modem self-reboots, this may be due to the wrong cable, or maybe bad connections...etc.

AnonGuyHere
@67.54.x.x

Anon

to AnonGuyHere
well, its ~70 feet of rg6 from the WB installer, connections are tight at both ends. I personally think heavy traffic had more to do with it, but maybe thats only when I noticed the reboots.

Jonathann
@cox.net

Jonathann to AnonGuyHere

Anon

to AnonGuyHere
I was thinking on ordering the wildblu dish network. They claim to have a usage/consumption cap of 3000 download (about 2-3 gig?)and 10000 upload. Does anyone know how much usuage is used up sitting in one chat room for the whole day, and is it upload or download, or both??

Also anyone know how to check your own current usage status?? Is it on the bill or can you check the isp website and log in to find out...any ideas?
Headtalk
join:2001-08-17

3 edits

Headtalk

FAP Link

»my.wildblue.net/content/ ··· name.asp

Type in your userid

Please sub with Direcway if you want to run p2p.

Please read how P2P does effect Network performance in a shared bandwidth environment.

»www.ct-magazine.com/arch ··· p2p.html

»www.ct-magazine.com/arch ··· ure.html

FYI

viii) restrict, inhibit, interfere with, or otherwise disrupt or cause a performance degradation, regardless of intent, purpose or knowledge, to the Service or any WildBlue (or WildBlue supplier) host, server, backbone network, node or service, or otherwise cause a performance degradation to any WildBlue (or WildBlue supplier) facilities used to deliver the Service"

"(v) upload, post, publish, transmit, reproduce, create derivative works of, or distribute in any way information, software or other material obtained through the Service or otherwise that is protected by copyright or other proprietary right, without obtaining permission of the owner;"

»www.wildblue.com/legal/a ··· licy.jsp

FYI

Posted 9/16/2004
Contact Person Human Resources
Fax
E-mail HR3@wildbluecorp.com
Salary Range
Location Denver Tech Center

The Abuse Technician, working as a functional component of the NOC, monitors and investigates instances of excessive bandwidth utilization in violation of the acceptable use policy. When violations are discovered, the Abuse Technician performs corrective actions as prescribed by standardized process and procedure. The Abuse Technician also augments the Tier 2.5 and Tier 3 NOC staff when conditions warrant.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.

- Monitor and track violations of bandwidth utilization standards

- Execute standardized procedures for managing bandwidth utilization violations

- Document and communicate mitigation activities via NMS tools and systems

- Perform timely escalations and notifications when appropriate

- Assist the Tier 2.5 and Tier 3 NOC Technicians as needed

QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:

To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.

- Three years of customer support experience performing maintenance, monitoring or configuration work in a 7x24x365 technical operations environment (preferably UNIX or Windows server administration)

- Experience with traffic shaping and performance monitoring

- Experience with bandwidth utilization analysis or monitoring

- Must have basic level understanding of IP networking

- An attention to detail and consistent follow-through on work assignments are essential

- Must be able to effectively communicate complex concepts and follow procedural direction

- The ability to collaborate and function as part of a team is essential

- Must be organized and capable of tracking/managing multiple issues simultaneously

- Previous experience in a start-up environment is a plus

- Experience at creating and defining processes and procedures is a plus

- Associates degree from college/trade school in computer science, engineering or related technical discipline is preferred or equivalent experience

dl_dood
@67.54.x.x

dl_dood to AnonGuyHere

Anon

to AnonGuyHere
P2P DOES IN FACT WORK! PERIOD!
For those who think it doesn't, I guess you'd best check your router/firewall/p2p software settings.
Because BT,LM,MD,and others all work fine and always have.
20 gig this month downloaded this way proves it!:D

wolfridge
Premium Member
Manson Creek, BC

wolfridge

Premium Member

I am glad yours is working for you but mine sure does not. I am running Direcway SOHO and Ka side by side same settings computers, firewalls, routers. Direcway will hit FAP in 3 hours or less and on KA some of the same torrents will work at a very slow rate. Most will not work. Emule will work at a extreme low rate (not worth it)
patroni6
join:2005-11-27

patroni6

My WB was installed Nov 2 -- p2p apps worked fine for ten days or so. Suddenly, they started no longer working! Torrent downloads no longer work, either. WB must have blocked these apps, at least on some beams or modems . . . could be selectively blocking after seeing large files downloaded. This can be leading to a large loss of business for WB, don't you think? I don't know if this situation will resolve after the beam problems are fixed . . . what good is the FAP limit if we can't download and upload files? There's more to life than just browsing! What think?
davidjneff
join:2005-09-19
Stevenson, WA

davidjneff

I'm a bit torn on this matter. One part says they shouldn't block anything, let the FAPs kick in. But I also know how ISPs work and set pricing on average expected use, not worse case.

I read the terms of use before I bought. I agreed not to run P2P as a part of the terms of use. I really need fast speed to work at home over a VPN, and don't want things to slow down for me. That is, if P2P users are hurting my ability to do my job, and violating the terms of use, well, shut them off. Thats the other, selfish, part of me.

When I owned and ran an ISP in the old days, and Napster came out, I traffic shaped that protocol to insure the maximum bandwidth that Napster could use would be controlled, but I did not block it.

wolfridge
Premium Member
Manson Creek, BC

wolfridge to AnonGuyHere

Premium Member

to AnonGuyHere
I agree I signed up thinking P2P would not work and thought that this may be a good thing. Canada is soon to pass legislation making it illegal anyway.

But they should be honest and upfront about block certain types of transfers so that people can make informed choices. I also do not believe in censorship of any except extreme views or data.

BT never worked for me since the begining (ten days ago) and I have tried every variation I can think of.

in_the_know
@67.54.x.x

in_the_know

Anon

try limewire. it works just fine. just tried it. fastest i got was over 1 mb down. turn off share bandwidth settings.
seems some people have problems they invent for themselves or they are puter challenged and should educate themselves on use?
or maybe they just turn off abusers and copywrited music and film downloaders and other poo poo head types? nothing wrong with p2p for legal file sharing, but most use it to steal. a rotten apple can spoil the whole barrel.
Mr_DNS
Laredo, TX

Mr_DNS to Headtalk

to Headtalk
said by Headtalk:

FAP Link....The Abuse Technician
Thanks for the info...my question is,
(1) what percent of P2P is not legitimate?
I've stated this before, I have no bones with legitimate
P2P stuff...but during off-hours.
I've stated further, why couldn't NOC download/store the top 95% of this legitimate stuff, and allow off-hours downloading...have one of those companies modify their P2P software so you could set hours of operation...etc.
Of course, if 95% of P2P is on the side-lines...then a different matter.
Expand your moderator at work
davidjneff
join:2005-09-19
Stevenson, WA

davidjneff to Mr_DNS

to Mr_DNS

Re: Bittorrent suddenly NOT working

Its no surprise P2P works for some and not for others. Look at the job posting someone put up earlier. Somebody monitors this and applies policies. Its not going to be perfect. Some may be P2Ping below the radar screen.

I don't P2P, and never been close to the FAP. From an honesty standpoint though, I'd prefer a reasonable FAP, maybe even lower, and then let people do whatever they want -- as long as its not illegal.

I think WB is winging much of this.
Mr_DNS
Laredo, TX

1 edit

Mr_DNS to Anon

to Anon
said by Headtalk:

P2P went out with the 90's...
I never had an interest in P2P...but I do know some folks do legitimate downloads, like Linux stuff.

Jonathan Again to AnonGuyHere

Anon

to AnonGuyHere
Thanks

randyvsatus
Premium Member
join:2005-03-03
Monument, CO

randyvsatus to AnonGuyHere

Premium Member

to AnonGuyHere
I love to read these posters who emphatically state that p2p is working for them...but they too will be found in time
Said it before...those running the show(s) have told me they are going to put a stop to p2p and voip in all probability. Dway made rumblings today that they are coming out with a voip "deal" in January (a fee?)...we'll see what that means then I guess.

wolfridge
Premium Member
Manson Creek, BC

wolfridge

Premium Member

Maybe they are finally releasing the DW6040 in North America. It was officially to be released May or June of 2003 I believe.