American V
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-28
Flippin, AR
kudos:2

1 edit

3 recommendations

[Info] A reminder.

Just a little reminder, for the folks who have been folding awhile, and a word of caution, for the new folks to folding.

My shop on base just got spanking new computers,(20) nice, new Pentium 4 HT 3.0 GHZ machines. I asked our Commander if I could install the FAH client on them. I explained what the client did, and all about the Stanford project. His answer was a firm, and resounding "NO!" (I knew what the answer would be, before I asked, but I just wanted try again).

He said: "Russ, I have no doubt your software is for a good cause, and does precisely what you say, but if I allowed that, I would have to allow anyone else with similar wishes to do the same. Not only that, also after the "IT" guys come to inspect, and clean up the machines, they will find this and you and I would be out of a job! We don't want that, now do we?" (U.S. Gov policy 'bout this sorto thing is spelled out, in clear terms, even I can understand.) I said "Sir, no sir!")

Now, I am not suggesting, no one shouldn't at least ask, if they wish to install the FAH client on their work computers, I say YOU HAD BETTER ASK!! If you get permission, that's GREAT!!
Get it in WRITING!!

Stanford, and Team helix, would much appreciate the extra CPU cycles, but not if by fraudulent means.

This has been a public service announcement. Thank you, and please come again.
--
Beagan agus a ra go maith

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:21

2 recommendations

Thanks for the reminder, Russ.

Having served as a sysadmin for a U. S. federal agency for a number of years, I think I would go a step further. One really should not even ask about using government computers for DC projects, even if you think you might get a "yes." The only exception might be if you are making your request to the President him/herself. Or presenting it to the U. S. Congress.

Why? Because that is the only way you can get a legal answer from true authority in this matter.

What if you were to convince some clueless IT Manager and then someone who knows the law reported that person to the press and a series of news articles were written about it? In such a case the F@H project would likely be muddied in the process, not to mention the possible consequences for the one who dared to "authorize" it. I don't think any of us would want to see that, certainly not worth adding 20 or even 1,000 additional clients for a period of time, IMO.
--
Team Helix November 2005 Roll Call - Team Helix Forum - Join Us?