Premium
join:2004-11-17
Murfreesboro, TN

3 edits

2 recommendations

[FireFox] Forcing extensions to work

Click for full size
Click for full size
For those of you who don't want to wait for the developers to update their extensions, you can do it yourself, and this is how. Also, this is written from a Windows XP perspective, although I have done the same thing in Linux, I've only had to substitute the Windows programs for a Linux one. I have provided a couple of screenshots to help with some of these steps. Sorry I can't put them (the pics) in order.

Step 1.
Download and install an archiving program like 7zip »7zip.org

Step 2.
Select the extension that you want to update. Right click the extension and extract the contents to your desktop.

Step 3.
Select the install.rdf file and edit it in a text editor like notepad (windows) or emacs (unix/linux).

Step 4.
Search for the max version tag and change the version from the current one (which should be 1.0) to 1.6

Step 5.
Save the install.rdf file that you just changed.

Step 6.
Go back to your extension that you opened earlier and open it in your archiving program. You will then see the contents of the .xpi file, including the original install.rdf file. Now you will select and copy the install.rdf file that you just recently edited, and paste it (or drag and drop it) into the open contents of the .xpi file (that is opened in your archiving program.)

I hope that this was as clear as mud for everyone and if I left anything out, please let me know.
--
Forget 'em, Support the Indies.
»www.ind-music.com

King P
Don't blame me. I voted for Ron Paul
Premium
join:2004-11-17
Murfreesboro, TN

Let me know how this works out for you folks. Anyway we can add this to an FAQ area or something
--
Forget 'em, Support the Indies.»www.ind-music.com

mjf
" "
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-05
New Orleans, LA
kudos:3

Nightly Tester Tools does the same thing. »users.blueprintit.co.uk/~dave/we···tly.html

But for those who do not want another extension, your work around works great!
--
Smile!
Team Discovery

knightmb
Everybody Lies

join:2003-12-01
Franklin, TN
reply to King P

Thanks, this saved me a lot of time and trouble. I had a simple extension that just wasn't up to date yet, but it still works fine in 1.5 until they get the offical one in for my favorite extension. Certainly a good piece of information!!

Grail Knight

Premium
join:2003-05-31
Valhalla
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Time Warner Cable
reply to King P

Word of advice is to also let users know that this old trick does not work on some extensions so a user most likely will st come back asking why the extension does not work after trying this method.

Some extensions just fail to work with 1.5 no matter what tool or cheat is used and need to be updated properly.
--
Fx v1.0.7 Mmoy_Tb v1.0.7 Aviary

Konaguy
Live From Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Premium
join:2000-10-21
Kailua Kona, HI
reply to King P

I've run into two extensions when I migrated to 1.5 that would
not work at with 1.5. Even when I bumped them. But in most cases with the extensions I use, bumping them worked.

Konaguy
Premium
Kailua Kona, HI
reply to King P

This is really nice, in 1.5 you can "override the max version"
by checking the box when you install. I've tried it without any hangups.

Sir Raleigh
Premium,MVM
join:2001-07-31
Raleigh, NC

Where is this check box your mentioned?
--
I used to know all this stuff!

Konaguy
Premium
Kailua Kona, HI