Badger3k
We Don't Need No Stinkin Badgers
Premium Member
join:2001-09-27
Franklin, OH

Badger3k

Premium Member

[Info] Ghost Sysprep

we're testing Ghost out at work to use for our deployment needs. I'm working on getting an image setup using Sysprep, but I can't get it to read my sysprep.inf file.

Where does the inf file need to be?

NyQuil Kid
8f The Nyquil Kid
join:2001-01-06
Brick, NJ

NyQuil Kid

It is my impression that when you use Sysprep, there will be a folder called "Sysprep" on the C:\ drive (C:\sysprep), with sysprep.inf inside. After the machine completes the mini-setup, that entire "Sysprep" folder disappears.

Have you checked the file properties to ensure it isn't read-only?

[8F] The NyQuil Kid

Badger3k
Premium Member
Franklin, OH

1 edit

Badger3k

Premium Member

I have the sysprep files in another folder, not in C:\Sysprep.

This file needs to be on the Model PC, or on the server?

NyQuil Kid
8f The Nyquil Kid
Brick, NJ

2 edits

NyQuil Kid

Needs to be on the model PC and I believe in the C:\sysprep folder for it to be effective:

»support.microsoft.com/de ··· &sd=tech
»service1.symantec.com/SU ··· osv_lvl=

Mind if I ask you what model PC you are using? Are you creating an image for multiple hardware platforms?

[8F] The NyQuil Kid

Badger3k
Premium Member
Franklin, OH

Badger3k

Premium Member

said by NyQuil Kid:

Needs to be on the model PC and I believe in the C:\sysprep folder for it to be effective:

»support.microsoft.com/de ··· &sd=tech
»service1.symantec.com/SU ··· osv_lvl=

Mind if I ask you what model PC you are using? Are you creating an image for multiple hardware platforms?

[8F] The NyQuil Kid
Right now we're just testing it in our lab, so we're using same hardware for the model & test machines. We're trying to see what all we are able to do. I think our end goal however, would be to have 1 image for all equipment, which I believe can be done with sysprep.

NyQuil Kid
8f The Nyquil Kid
Brick, NJ

1 recommendation

NyQuil Kid

Yeah, you can do that, albeit not very easily. When I created images, I used Qualystem's Ubiboot program (since merged with Neoware, who completely suck at customer service - too bad). You may want to check out the UIU, which allows the creation of a universial image for different hardware:

»www.bigbangtraining.com/ ··· age.html

Here are some additional sysprep resources that may help:

»www.uea.ac.uk/itcs/softw ··· rep.html
»students.fct.unl.pt/~cer ··· ing.html
»www.experts-exchange.com ··· 969.html
»www.windowsitpro.com/Art ··· tml?Ad=1
»www.novell.com/coolsolut ··· 671.html

Let us know how it goes...

[8F] The NyQuil Kid

Badger3k
Premium Member
Franklin, OH

Badger3k

Premium Member

Thanks a ton for the links. They helped out a ton, and I've managed to get an functional Sysprep'd image.

Now, what is the best way to maintain, update, make changes to the image? Do I have to keep machine on hand to make changes? Would something like Virtual PC work? Basicly we support 2 Models of PC's. 1 Laptop & 1 Desktop. So I'm looking at 2 images to keep current, and add any addtional applications too over time.

NyQuil Kid
8f The Nyquil Kid
Brick, NJ

2 edits

NyQuil Kid to Badger3k

to Badger3k
Here's what I did when I maintained images (keep in mind that I used the Ubiboot program instead of using Sysprep, so you may have to modify the following a bit to reflect your environment). VMWare/Virtual PC would work, but you would want to test any image that is updated there on a real machine.

1) We had five machines, all Dell's ranging from GX110 to GX280 models. While the Ubiboot program allowed me to update and maintain an image on just one machine, I liked having the others there for testing.

2) I would update my images at least once a month, to account for updates to WinXP vis MSFT - we later adopted an SUS server, but I still followed the "once a month" policy. This allowed me to make sure any updates to WinXP went smoothly. Also, if new applications/updates to pre-existing apps were available, I would update the images on a when needed basis. What I don't believe in doing is creating an image and letting it stay "static" without applying OS updates. Before updating an image, I would rename the old one so that it didn't get overwritten. Once the image is updated, I would apply it to any of those five machines at random.

3) Have you applied that Sysprep image to both the desktop and laptop? If not, you can edit the Sysprep inf file to account for additional drivers for each machine. That way, the image can work on both platforms, yet you can update the image on one machine.

However, if it were me, I would occasionally apply the image on both machines to ensure it continues to work on both.

If you don't mind me asking, how are you handling the configuration of user profiles? Will multiple people be using one PC at a time? If you think it may help, I have some documentation I can provide that may help with tweaking out your image.

[8F] The NyQuil Kid

Badger3k
Premium Member
Franklin, OH

Badger3k

Premium Member

How does VMWare/VPC handle the different hardware? Testing the image on each of the machines isn't a problem, it's being able to keep 2 machines in my hands. We tend to have a lot of rogue "So and so started 2 weeks ago, here is all is hire information we need equipment now." so it's hard to keep any stock of machines for very long. We also have a lot of dated(pre-2000) machines that are slowing dying, which results in them being replaced.

So, what I'd like to do is if possible, create all of the images using VPC/VMware type problem on my machine, and then testing them isn't an issue, as I can grab a new machine for a few hours to verify it works. We aren't really into any solid imageing procedure right now, which is why I'm trying to get all of this straight.

For profiles, only 1 user per PC, but within the next few months we're switching to roaming profiles so I don't think that is going to be an issue.

We'll probably stick with a laptop and desktop image, just because the laptop's get different software then the desktops do. VPN, wireless cards, etc for the laptops that the desktops just don't really need. However, does adding the drivers to Sysprep slow down the setup process any? Right now we're at about 15-minutes to have a basic machine up and running(just the time it takes to blow down the image and configure Outlook), so I would be afraid to add too much more time to the setup process.

I would absolutely love anything you can provide to help. This is my first undertaking dealing with image management. =)

Thanks!

Kilroy
MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

Kilroy to Badger3k

MVM

to Badger3k
What OS?

You need to run the Setup Manager before you Sysprep, every time, to create the Sysprep directory that is deleted on the install. The SYSPREP.INF file needs to be in the same directory that you are launching SYSPREP.EXE from.

NyQuil Kid
8f The Nyquil Kid
Brick, NJ

1 edit

NyQuil Kid to Badger3k

to Badger3k
If the management expects you to maintain images, they need to understand that having the equipment to do so goes hand in hand with the responsibility of image creation/maintenance (I wouldn't be surprised at all if management _didn't_ comprehend that, since most IT managers are complete morons).

That being said, you can use VMWare for image testing/maintenance. Given you have a laptop with additional equipment and software, placing it on VMWare may not prove to be ideal, since you wouldn't be able to update any wireless software/drivers (since it won't show up in VMWare AFAIK). Your best bet, IMO, is to _insist_ that you keep a desktop and laptop for your images.

Check your earthlink email for some documentation - if you have any questions, feel free to email me.

[8F] The NyQuil Kid

Badger3k
Premium Member
Franklin, OH

Badger3k

Premium Member

Haven't gone to management about anything, so I am just exploring all of my options. If I have to have equipment, then that is what I will tell them.

Thanks for the docs, I'll give them a good reading tonight/tomorrow.
Badger3k

Badger3k to Kilroy

Premium Member

to Kilroy
said by Kilroy:

What OS?

You need to run the Setup Manager before you Sysprep, every time, to create the Sysprep directory that is deleted on the install. The SYSPREP.INF file needs to be in the same directory that you are launching SYSPREP.EXE from.
We're using XP. Yeah, I figured out you had to have that directory each time you want to take the image. Only took me 2 tries to realize I need to save my .inf file someplace other then the test machine.

Kilroy
MVM
Saint Paul, MN

1 recommendation

Kilroy

MVM

You can store the SYSPREF.INF file on the machine, just make sure it is out of the created Sysprep directory. For instance my company's standard is to store IT files in C:\Windows\System32\ITS. Inside of that folder I keep a Drivers folder with separate folders for each driver, a Sysprep folder with Sysprep and Setup Manager, a change log, and some other things. I have a batch file to launch the Sysprep. Here are the contents of that file.

sysprep -reseal -mini

After I Sysprep the machine I make an image and then verify the image. If there is a problem I fix the problem, rename SYSPREP.INF, run Setup Manger (you can't short cut it, you have to put in all of the information), delete the SYSPREP.INF and rename my previous SYSPREP.INF, Sysprep, and reimage. (I have an OemPnPDriversPath line that points to the drivers directories and it is just easier to keep reusing that SYSPREP.INF rather than redoing it every time.)

Things I have learned:

You can delete the page file and defragment the drive before you Sysprep, a new "default" page file will be created after going through the mini set up. This will make your images smaller.

Certain things will be turned back on, no matter how you had them set in your image, System Restore will be on for all drives and Start up and Recovery settings will reset to the defaults. I'm sure there are more, but these are the ones I've noticed.

Badger3k
Premium Member
Franklin, OH

Badger3k

Premium Member

said by Kilroy:

You can delete the page file and defragment the drive before you Sysprep, a new "default" page file will be created after going through the mini set up. This will make your images smaller.
I think there is an option you can set in the sysprep.inf file that will automaticly skip the page file. It's in one of the links NyQuil Kid See Profile posted. I think it's KeepPageFile=0 or something to that extent.

This probably gets into whole nother topic, but do you guys have any sort of Deployment packages? If say a user needs Application XYZ, that isn't part of the standard image, you just install from a Rip stored on a network share or do you use something like Ghosts AI Package builder?

Kilroy
MVM
Saint Paul, MN

Kilroy

MVM

We use Novell NALs for most of the non-standard loads, some manual for the really off the wall stuff.

The real bite is trying to keep the images up to date. You figure Microsoft releases every second Tuesday and then any other software that is part of your standard, i.e. Java, Adobe, etc. It can be a full time job.

NyQuil Kid
8f The Nyquil Kid
Brick, NJ

NyQuil Kid to Badger3k

to Badger3k
At my previous position, we also used Novell for a great deal of the post image app installs. However, in my experience I preferred to manually install and configure.

For example, our end users were given limited user level rights - there was a program that required some changes in user permissions to work properly; the only way we knew that was to install it manually on an imaged PC and play with it.

[8F] The NyQuil Kid

Badger3k
Premium Member
Franklin, OH

Badger3k

Premium Member

Well I just tried to sending the image down to a different model/hardware configuration, and it totally bombed out. In my sysprep.inf I have the Mass Storage Sections.
[Sysprep]
BuildMassStorageSection=Yes

[SysprepMassStorage]

I was deploying it to an older machine, and all of the hardware is supported in XP without any drivers needed.(Yeah, its that old). What did I miss?

NyQuil Kid
8f The Nyquil Kid
Brick, NJ

NyQuil Kid

How old is the machine? If for example, your first machine was a Pentium4 with ACPI, and this "bombed out" machine is a Pentium 3 or 4 that has APM, that may account for the problem. Even when I used Ubiboot, I had to build my images from the oldest machine to the newest, testing each one as I went along.

[8F] The NyQuil Kid

Badger3k
Premium Member
Franklin, OH

Badger3k

Premium Member

It's probably a good 4-5 years old. It's a Dell Inspiron 3800. I didn't even think about that.

NyQuil Kid
8f The Nyquil Kid
Brick, NJ

NyQuil Kid

Yeah that would be my guess then - if you have the time and inclination, I would make an Sysprep image on that 3800 first, make the modifications you mentioned in the INF file, then see if it boots to a newer platform.

Good luck.

[8F] The NyQuil Kid

Rxdoxx

join:2000-11-03
Middle River, MD

1 recommendation

Rxdoxx to Badger3k

to Badger3k

(topic move) [Info] Ghost Sysprep

Moderator Action
The post that was here, and all followups to it, were moved to a new topic .. »[Info] Ghost Sysprep