All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

JWFokker
@rr.com

JWFokker

Anon

[Hardware] Belkin Pre-N V2 access point

After several days of fiddling with my 8230-4 V2000, and many failed attempts to get it to run in access point mode, I've finally got it working. Just connect your main router to the Belkin's WAN port. No other configuration needed. I'd been entirely confused over the last few days, because every time I tried to use the Use as Access Point mode, I then could no longer connect to it (though Windows could still detect it), even to the configuration screen, thus requiring a manual reset.

Running it as a router wasn't an option because it was too unstable, dropping connections and all. I've seen posts that you're supposed to use a LAN port for V2's instead of the WAN port, but this didn't work for me. To get it to work, I did a manual reset, connected my main router to the WAN port of the Belkin and BAM! everything works properly.

I guess this means the Use as Access Point button in the configuration does nothing, except make the router completely non-functional. I thought guys with V2's might want to know. It's caused me a few headaches.

jsimmons
MVM
join:2000-04-24
Falls Church, VA

jsimmons

MVM

I don't have the V2000 unit, but there have been numerous posts here about the fact that the docs are WRONG for V2000. I believe you can actually can select the use as access point setting AND set a unique IP address for the unit thats compatible with your existing ROUTER/LAN, and it will work fine and can still be managed thru the web interface at the address you set.

But, unlike the V1000, you MUST connect it to your LAN via one of the LAN ports, not the WAN port.

Belkin needs to either fix the firmware, or change the documentation for the V2000.

JWFokker
@rr.com

JWFokker to JWFokker

Anon

to JWFokker
I realize the manual is out of date, but you don't use a LAN port as I've heard and tried several times. To run in access point mode with the V2000, just plug it into the WAN port and you're done. No configuration necessary.
vinnie97
Premium Member
join:2003-12-05
US

vinnie97 to JWFokker

Premium Member

to JWFokker
complete opposite here with my V2, connecting it to the WAN port afforded me no functionality but trying a LAN port (as suggested by mozerd) brought success.

JWFokker
@rr.com

JWFokker to JWFokker

Anon

to JWFokker
Strange. Both the label on the router and the firmware indicate that I'm running V2000 hardware. Has anyone else with a V2000 tried doing a reset and running ethernet between their router and the WAN port? I didn't even have to tell the router to run in access point mode. It just works without any configuration. If I actually do tell it to run in access point mode, it stops functioning properly.
vinnie97
Premium Member
US

2 edits

vinnie97

Premium Member

Hmm, then it sounds like you're not actually in AP mode and might explain why the WAN port is functional?

If I was still feeling adventurous, I could try your method with a router reset but I've had flawless operation across my SMC/Belkin for 3 days, so I'm not very inclined to rock the boat. The one thing I can suggest is resetting to factory settings (assuming you haven't already, which you probably have), making sure you have the latest firmware and try setting it in AP mode again...

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd to JWFokker

MVM

to JWFokker
said by JWFokker :

Strange. Both the label on the router and the firmware indicate that I'm running V2000 hardware. Has anyone else with a V2000 tried doing a reset and running ethernet between their router and the WAN port? I didn't even have to tell the router to run in access point mode. It just works without any configuration. If I actually do tell it to run in access point mode, it stops functioning properly.
The F5D8230-4v2000 has 2 modes of operation.
[1] Normal mode : in this default configuration the device acts in a dual capacity concurrently; as a (a) router and as a (b) access point
[2] AP mode: in this configuration the AP device must be connected to an external router; now the AP acts exclusively in serving wireless clients and depends on the external Router to route and provide other services.
[3] Regardless of which mode -- both modes have access to an internal LAN switch for wired devices; IF the 4 port LAN switch is used then the device acting as a ROUTER will do the Routing for the AP + any clients that are attached to the switch and provide NAT services plus Stateful Packet Inspection [another type of firewall] for both; The AP provides wireless security; the AP does not provide firewall services – the AP relies on the ROUTER to provide firewall services as well as routing services.

JWFokker
@rr.com

JWFokker to JWFokker

Anon

to JWFokker
Yes, I'm well aware of how the Belkin is SUPPOSED to work. Perhaps I wasn't specific enough in my previous post. I have a cable modem connected to a Linksys broadband router (forget which model) connected to the Belkin via the Belkin's WAN port. If I try to configure the Belkin for AP mode, it ceases to respond. It's still broadcasting a wireless signal, but nothing can connect to it. The IP address and subnet are both configured correctly. The wireless adapter can see the signal, but can't connect to the network. And I've tried using both the WAN and LAN ports on the Belkin. However, if I do a hard reset, connect the Linksys router to the WAN port of the Belkin rather than the LAN port (as I've heard the V2000's use), everything works fine. I made some small, inconsequential adjustments with the ACK and channel settings, but this configuration is the only way I've been able to get it to function as an access point. DHCP assigns the adapter an IP address correctly and everything. Maybe someone else with V2000 hardware in AP mode can let us in on how they configured their Pre-N setup. Because mine simply doesn't work as it should when I tell it to use AP mode.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

1 edit

mozerd

MVM

said by JWFokker :

Perhaps I wasn't specific enough in my previous post. I have a cable modem connected to a Linksys broadband router (forget which model) connected to the Belkin via the Belkin's WAN port.
1.. Do a hard reset of your Belkin Router then power it down.
2.. Power Down your cable modem and your Linksys Router then disconnect the Linksys broadband router from the cable modem
3.. Power up your cable modem and after 2 minutes via Cat5e Ethernet cable connect the Belkin Router WAN port to the cable modem then power up your Belkin Router. Via a Cat5e Ethernet cable connect one of your PC's to the Belkin LAN port and go to the management interface via Browser at the 192.168.2.1 address
4.. Via the Belkin management interface Configure all your needed wireless security settings THEN select to use the Belkin Router in AP mode -- make a note of the IP address for the AP and change the AP IP address to the subnet that you will be using on the Linksys Router..
5.. After you are satisfied that you have all the settings done properly and have applied them then Power down the Belkin Router/AP and remove the Belkin from the cable modem. Power down the cable modem.
6.. Power up the cable modem and now connect your Linksys Router to the cable modem and wait 2 minutes .... Power up the Linksys Router and after 1 minute connect via Cat5e Ethernet cable the Belkin/AP LAN port to one of the Linksys LAN ports ... power up the Belkin AP and wait 2 minutes.

You should now be good to go from this point on to use the wireless AP system.

jsimmons
MVM
join:2000-04-24
Falls Church, VA

jsimmons

MVM

To add to what Mozerd recommended... Normally the Linksys router uses 192.168.1.1 as its default LAN address and 192.168.1.0 as the subnet for all local LAN devices. If you are sticking to the default addressing, my recommendation is to set the Belkin up with address 192.168.1.254 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0 on the screen where you set it for Access Point mode.

After you have recabled and gotten everything up and running in its final configuration, you should have no problems accessing the belkin AP at its new URL: "http://192.168.1.254"

This is the configuration I use and have never had a problem.
vinnie97
Premium Member
US

2 edits

vinnie97 to JWFokker

Premium Member

to JWFokker
I was having good success with my SMC/Belkin AP setup (1 PC wired, 1 wireless) until I also tried to connect my laptop wirelessly in WPA mode with a rather lengthy key. When I tried to connect with the laptop, I had success but couldn't access the router configuration pages OR any websites (no DNS). I then went to the PC that had been functional before and it was exhibiting identical behavior! I then spent hours experimenting with different settings (even going as far as hardcoding the ISP's DNS servers into the client PCs out of desperation and not realizing the gateway IP is all that's needed for primary DNS), finding that a shorter WPA key was all I needed in order to connect. Perhaps the Belkin has a problem with my Broadcom 802.1g laptop device and/or using b/g concurrently.

I'm also not using the SMC's DHCP right now because that also seemed to keep me from connecting altogether at one point (the wireless computers would simply be unable to connect after timing out on repeated attempts). This was done using Windows wireless config, btw. Maybe it's time for that Zywall.

Now Working
@mindspring.com

Now Working

Anon

Had the same problem using my new FD8230-4 V2000 in "Use as Access Point" mode. Contacted Belkin and they provided me with work around.

This work around was implemented by turning off the DCHP Server and plugging the network into one of the LAN ports. I also changed the LAN IP address to match my existing network.

However, after telling the support rep that this is BS and "Use as Access Point" mode should work as expected, they sent me an email with a link to new firmware for this unit. My firmware version is now 2.01.02 and everything seems to be working as expected. This firmware also added WPA2 support.
PaulRyan8
join:2006-01-04
Denver, CO

PaulRyan8

However, after telling the support rep that this is BS and "Use as Access Point" mode should work as expected, they sent me an email with a link to new firmware for this unit. My firmware version is now 2.01.02 and everything seems to be working as expected.
I confirmed this experience just now. Installed latest V2 firmware and voila, router plugs properly into WAN port just as it should. Found it in this area: »ftp://216.67.12.46/DISK%201/Fi ··· e/Belkin (not a direct link).

Thanks for the tip, Now Working! Too bad I had to "waste" many hours working around the strange Belkinisms (RTFM a poor substitute for head-banging in this case, I must say).
PaulRyan8

PaulRyan8

Umm, wrong again! Re: Belkin Pre-N V2 AP

said by PaulRyan8:

I confirmed this experience just now. Installed latest V2 firmware and voila, router plugs properly into WAN port just as it should.
Silly me. It was the LAN port that succeeded for AP-only functionality, not the WAN port. Bleary eyed and dark late at night at last plug-in, I stumbled on success by plugging into LAN port 4 (next to WAN port), just after upgrading to 2.01.02. I've no explanation for why WAN port does not work in AP mode on my unit, as one would expect it should.
CudaWuda
join:2006-02-07
Northville, MI

CudaWuda to JWFokker

to JWFokker

Re: [Hardware] Belkin Pre-N V2 access point

I just bought the same v2000 and spent days trying to get the access point function working. After seeing the msgs here I swithed the connection from the wan port to one of the lan ports and it now works.
I also have a v1000 belin router acting as an AP and it requires it be connected to it's WAN port. They both use the same Dlink DI-624 router. I have to use the dlink router because it allows me to set up static Ip address. The belkin keeps changing the ip address and messes up the port fowarding settings. The BELKIN sure does reach further but their software sucks IMO
CudaWuda

CudaWuda

My v2000 came with the latest firmware and even after getting it from their support site and redoing the firmware I still had to use the LAN port for it to finally work.