Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

BIG b
Premium
join:2002-11-23
Connersville, IN

[Connectivity] What router and modem ?

I am planning on buying a new router and Modem.

Are the linksys modems any good? I would like to get the linksys modem and router so they stack nicely on top of each other ...

I also really like the Motorola SUrfboard 5120 but would you still go with a liksys router or something else?

ANy suggestions ?

Thanks
--
Visit my site @ www.n9dvd.com

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:10

1 edit

My opinion: the Linksys BEFCMU10 v4 modem & the WRT54G or GS v4 router.

Ref.
»Got New Modem- It the New LINKSYS MODEM VERSION!!

»Extreme & BEFCMU10 v4
--
Write me up for 125.......I Can't Drive 55 »redrocker.com/ »cabowabo.com/

BIG b
Premium
Connersville, IN

It is DOCSIS 2.0 then ?

Also what exactly do I have to do to get it activated with comcast ?

What was the cost?

Thanks
--

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley

Yes it's DOCSIS 2.0 & will work with 1.1 & 1.0.

BestBuy has it for $75.99 now.
You can shop around. Make sure you find a v4 & not a v3. The v3s are mostly DOCSIS 1.1 with some being DOCSIS 2.0.

To activate modem:
Start with all gear off.
If you have a router, leave it disconnected for now.
Connect modem to PC.
Power up modem(wait for sync)
Power up PC.
Bring up Internet Explorer. You will be auto directed to Comcast's activation page.
Have your account info. handy and your modem's MAC address from bottom written down.
Follow prompts to activate modem.
--

BIG b
Premium
Connersville, IN

Thanks for the reply!

I will probably go tommorow and see if Wal Mart has any.

So I don't need to call Comcast at all ?

Will they automatically stop billing me the $3 a month?

Thanks again
--

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley

1 edit

To avoid any mistakes in billing, you may want to call Comcast and do the modem activation while on the phone. You still have to return the modem before your lease agreement is done.
--

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:23

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to BIG b

When I swapped modems, I did this much:

To activate modem:
Start with all gear off.
If you have a router, leave it disconnected for now.
Connect modem to PC.
Power up modem(wait for sync)
Power up PC.
Bring up Internet Explorer. You will be auto directed to Comcast's activation page.
I followed the prompts to download the software (planning to uninstall it after getting connected), but nothing happened.
I had an IP, gateway and DNS servers, but couldn't go any further.
Called Comcast, gave my MAC address, did the requested power cycle and reboot and never needed to install their software.

It's easier for them, I think, if you get to the part where the IP is assigned before calling them.
--
Team Helix Dec 2005 Roll Call - Team Helix Forum - My F@H Farm - Join Us?

BIG b
Premium
Connersville, IN

1 edit
reply to BIG b

OK a couple more questions before I venture out and pick up the modem and router today .. If I have to order it online how can I tell it is version 4 ?

Also can the version 3 modems display the provisioned rate ? I am very intrested in this !

If for some reason I decide to get the Motorola will they display the provisioned rate?

KNow any good source where I can get a Linksys Version 4 router and modem online ?

I am going to Wal Mart in the next town over this afternoon. I have called and checked. They have them there I am just not sure if it is the Version 4 or not.

»www.walmart.com/catalog/product.···=1711518

Also look at this link it looks like it is only 2.4 GHz ? Is this wrong ?

»www.walmart.com/catalog/product.···=2470125

DOES THE LINKSYS MODEM LOOK LIKE IT IS DOCSIS 2.0 ? It only says 1 is that right ?

Thanks
--

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley

4 edits

1 recommendation

"If I have to order it online how can I tell it is version 4 ?"
You can't. The pics online are often not updated.

"Also can the version 3 modems display the provisioned rate ?"
I don't believe they can. I will ask a friend who has one and confirm.

"If for some reason I decide to get the Motorola will they display the provisioned rate?"
No, they do not.

"Know any good source where I can get a Linksys Version 4 router and modem online ?"
Newegg is a good source but dicey which version. If you decide to order online, call and talk to a rep. and ask about their return policy if it's not a v4.

The pic. of the modem from Walmart is a v3. This doesn't mean they will ship you a v3, only that they may not have updated the picture.

The pic of the WRT54G router is an older version.

Some ref:

You can differentiate the befcmu10 version 3 from befcmu10 version 4 through the lights on the front panel of the device. With the version 3 under the Internet you have 2 LED lights labeled cable and activity. With the befcmu10 version 4 under the Internet you have 3 LED lights indicator (DS, US and Online).

You are supposed to be able to see this light configuration on the picture of modem on the box.
»Re: Linksys BEFCMU10 Modem

Here is a link on how to identify different WRT54G versions: »Re: WRT54G - Wireless-G Broadband Router V5.0
--

BIG b
Premium
Connersville, IN
reply to BIG b

Click for full size
WEll just got back from WAl Mart and aside from the guy in Electronics trying to sell me a 15 foot cat5 Cable thinking that it was what I wanted I walked away happy!

I ended up with the Version 4 cable modem and the version 4 router. I think there is a version 5 but all they had was 4 for the router and all I really cared about is the version 4 modem ..

Thanks for all the help! The box was not labeled with a version for the modem ... but I looked at the picture and made sure it had 6 lights on the front wich it did and sure enough it was a version 4 ...
--

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
Happy Valley

You did well. Congrats! It's good you did get a WRT54G v4 and not v5. The v5 has been having problems.
--

BIG b
Premium
Connersville, IN

1 recommendation

reply to BIG b

I am happy so far it seem slike hte connection even though still a tad slow in the evenings is pretty constant it does not move all over the place while downloading ...

ALso uploading is greatly improved as far stability too !

Thanks for the advice ....
--