Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Ronnie1055
Premium
join:2004-06-25
Carrollton, TX

[TV] HDMI Connection to HD/DVR Box - FIOS TV

Guys please note this... this answers my question.

This is directly from Verizon FIOS Fiber Solutions:

If you use the HDMI you will NOT be able to utilize Digital Coax or Optical. This is a hardware limitation of the STB and has been sent to Motorola. If you want true DD and to use your Home Entertainment Center and/or AV Receiver... you must use the Component Video and Digital Coax or Optical. No word on when Motorola will get this resolved.

Happy Holidays...
Ronnie

HaloBox

join:2002-01-10
How on earth does Verizon approve the MOT unit without this as a core requirement?

Ronnie1055
Premium
Carrollton, TX
said by HaloBox:

How on earth does Verizon approve the MOT unit without this as a core requirement?
I agree... this has been the most frustrating few days I have had in a long time. I cannot believe I have gone through all of this only to find out it is a limitation of the STB. PLUS... the cost of the HDMI cable. I only had an HDMI to DVI.

Ronnie1055
Premium
Carrollton, TX
I really wish they had been wrong about this, However, I just went home and tested the Component Video and Optical... my blue light came on immediately and it is decoding just like it should... would really like to use the HDMI... but guess that isn't going to happen for a while.

I am not mad at Verizon... cause these guys have been busting their butts trying to resolve my issue. I agree with HaloBox in that this should have been caught when they were testing the STB's. I am a little upset that I have spent three days pulling my hair out trying to find out what was going on... oh well... it's kept me busy.

nhey
Premium
join:2005-11-19
Trenton, NJ
Can't you get DD5.1 using the HDMI output PLUS the optical output?

HDMI does NOT carry DD5.1. It is not part of the current specification.

I have the DTC-6412 box, version III, supplied by Comcast, and I use the HDMI directly to my Qualia 006 and Optical output to my receiver.

nhey
Premium
join:2005-11-19
Trenton, NJ
Ronnie,

Just saw your other thread. Try connecting the HDMI directly to your set and not through your receiver, and the optical to your reciever. If that doesn't work then the box does have a glitch, which is surprising since the sister model, the DTC-6412 is fine with Comcast.

Ronnie1055
Premium
Carrollton, TX
said by nhey:

Ronnie,
Just saw your other thread. Try connecting the HDMI directly to your set and not through your receiver, and the optical to your reciever. If that doesn't work then the box does have a glitch, which is surprising since the sister model, the DTC-6412 is fine with Comcast.
Thanks nhey... it is a glitch with the box. Thanks for your input.

HaloBox

reply to nhey
said by nhey:

Can't you get DD5.1 using the HDMI output PLUS the optical output?

HDMI does NOT carry DD5.1. It is not part of the current specification.

It's interesting that Dolby isn't mentioned anywhere in the HDMI v1.2 spec down-loadable from »www.hdmi.org/download/HDMI_Speci ··· _1.2.pdf

But, the Dolby guys mention HDMI quite prominently at »www.dolby.com/consumer/technolog ··· lus.html

I guess I was under the impression the preferred distribution method was HDMI from the STB to the AV receiver then loop the audio and video back to the HDTV to avoid any lip sync issues. I guess that's still a pipe dream right now.

NOCMan
MadMacHatter
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Colorado Springs, CO
reply to Ronnie1055
I think there's a inexpensive HDMI switch that has a optical output to the receiver..

Swear I seen it.
--
»www.silentbrouhaha.com

NOCMan
MadMacHatter
Premium
Colorado Springs, CO
reply to Ronnie1055
Bleh it's a reciever 999 and up..

Nice features such as analog to hdmi conversion so I guess a dvd player could be switched through the receiver to the hdmi port..
--
»www.silentbrouhaha.com

Temp banned from BBR more then anyone

join:2002-10-02
PwnZone
though this is probably the wrong thread to say this, but whats the big deal about hdmi? full 1920x1080 resolution can easily travel across component with the same quality

Ronnie1055
Premium
Carrollton, TX
CoxCable4...

All comments and opinions are welcome. I think it is more the point of the matter. We should be able to use whatever we choose. I wouldn't have purchased a HDMI cable if I knew it wouldn't work with my A/V system.

DMS1

join:2005-04-06
Plano, TX
reply to 53059959
said by 53059959:

though this is probably the wrong thread to say this, but whats the big deal about hdmi? full 1920x1080 resolution can easily travel across component with the same quality
HDMI is digital whereas YCbCr component signaling is analog. When connecting a digital source such as an MPEG decoder in an STB to an inherently digital display device such as an LCD, a D-to-A conversion followed by an A-to-D conversion is bound to add undesirable artifacts. Therefore, I would have thought that HDMI would be highly preferred over component.

chaser7016

@68.34.x.x
WHy does everyone want this damn HDMI crap? Hidden under the better picture quality is a copyright scheme, that will enable Hollywood to further dwindle our fair rights. Google....define:HDMI

Temp banned from BBR more then anyone

join:2002-10-02
PwnZone
reply to DMS1
said by DMS1:

HDMI is digital whereas YCbCr component signaling is analog. When connecting a digital source such as an MPEG decoder in an STB to an inherently digital display device such as an LCD, a D-to-A conversion followed by an A-to-D conversion is bound to add undesirable artifacts. Therefore, I would have thought that HDMI would be highly preferred over component.
I know that, but every tv (including mine) that i've looked at I see 0.0 difference in the type of cable used

DMS1

Plano, TX
reply to chaser7016
said by chaser7016 :

WHy does everyone want this damn HDMI crap? Hidden under the better picture quality is a copyright scheme, that will enable Hollywood to further dwindle our fair rights. Google....define:HDMI
They want it for the reason I gave above - to keep the signal path from source to screen as pure as possible.

Given that some form of rights management will be inevitable in the future, I would much rather have a well-defined out-of-band signalling system such as HDCP (used by HDMI) than some botched-together system that can actually effect the picture quality such as Macrovision.

danclan

join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA
reply to 53059959
I'm trying to figure out why anyone is complainig about DRM interface not working? Seriously?

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27
reply to 53059959
I've seen some subtle differences from Component vs HDMI. I thought HDMI was for Digital and protected content. I should read up on it. I would love one cable, preferably small and not limited in length, and contains both video, audio and any other information.

Still, how did VZ miss this? Or is this like the Motorola Phones that VZW sells: crippleware. Pay to unlock the feature...

Hope Motorola fixes this, fast. I want my FIOS TV

Coolpplse

join:2005-09-21
reply to Ronnie1055
Why do ppl want HDMI So much? I rather prefer suing the industry for closing the analogue hole and instead make them provide a Digital Connection without any copy protection

cbs96463

join:2004-07-21
Keller, TX
reply to Ronnie1055
I hope the DD out works when you use the 1394 connection. Thats how I would like to hook FIOS tv up to my Mitsubishi HDtv. Crawling into my home theater cabinet and only plugging in one cable would be extremely nice for a change.

HaloBox

reply to Coolpplse
said by Coolpplse:

Why do ppl want HDMI So much?
For me, it's a matter of choice. I have five HDTV components to connect. HDCP aside, I would prefer HDMI for all of them to simplify cable management. However, the reality is that I'm stuck using component for some of them.

ajricaud

join:2002-02-04
91745-2638
reply to DMS1
Not all TVs keep the HDMI signal in the digital domain. Many, including Mitsubishi DLPs and Sony LCDs convert HDMI to analog immediately.

biggbrother
Premium
join:2001-11-07
Providence, RI
reply to Ronnie1055
With all due respect to the parties affected, it must have been a slow news day to put this on the front page of BBR. I am assuming this is an annoyance for those customers who want to get their SDTV and HDTV programming in Dolby Digital (DD)since you want to connect the HDMI from Verizon's set-top box to your receiver, and then the receiver to the TV?

However, I wouldn't be affected if I just connected the HDMI from the set-top box to the HDMI port on my TV correct? I'll just get sound from my TV speakers though.

When I first read the headline I thought no HDMI port was included on the set-top box. That would have screwed me because I am literally running out of inputs on my TV.

Anemone1

join:2005-07-26
Billerica, MA
reply to Ronnie1055
1 that has to be fixed asap, but I'm sure Verizon knows that. No HDMI these days is a big issue. There is often a serious improvement in using HDMI (often, but not always).

Secondly, they should be figuring out a way to get on the Cablecard 2.0 bandwagon. Yes I do realize the competitive issues on what "cablecard" stands for, but the spec should be supported by providers of digital television imo. This spec has been a far too long in getting here as it is. And it's way past time to be rid of the boxes that aren't DVR.

$.02

HaloBox

reply to biggbrother
said by biggbrother:

With all due respect to the parties affected, it must have been a slow news day to put this on the front page of BBR.
Well, the editors placed it on the front page and created a misleading title.

Regarding the issue, in this day and age, Dolby Surround across HDMI should be a default, not the exception. The FIOS TV platform should have it, plain and simple.

amdmaxx

join:2005-08-05
Fair Lawn, NJ
reply to 53059959
HDMI keeps it in digital realm without converting to analog and back to digital like component does..

Coolpplse

join:2005-09-21
reply to HaloBox
quote:
For me, it's a matter of choice. I have five HDTV components to connect. HDCP aside, I would prefer HDMI for all of them to simplify cable management. However, the reality is that I'm stuck using component for some of them.
Not that I want to argue with you but while Cable Management is so much better... I think we should rebel use of HDMI unless they totally strip off HDCP...

NOCMan
MadMacHatter
Premium
Colorado Springs, CO
reply to Ronnie1055
Anyone hear a update from Verizon on this. I have 2 component connections for the DVD Player and the HD DVR. Now I cant run my Xbox over component and that's annoying.

I dont see how this is a hardware limitation. When HDMI is running over the box you still get PCM audio just not the dolby signal. It could be a non issue since most things I see that have dolby are 3/2 not full 5.1.

I hope they nail it. I'm now looking at a component hub to manage all that mess. Some good ones out there but they're expensive.
--
»www.silentbrouhaha.com

DMS1

Plano, TX
said by NOCMan:

Anyone hear a update from Verizon on this. I have 2 component connections for the DVD Player and the HD DVR. Now I cant run my Xbox over component and that's annoying.
It looks like people are seeing the same problem with Comcast. For example, »Can Someone Confirm This?. Comcast uses the DCT6412 phase III which is very similar to the QIP6416 used by Verizon.

Ronnie1055
Premium
Carrollton, TX
reply to Ronnie1055
I never did receive an update on this... but really didn't expect it to be resolved this quick. I know they (Verizon) are working with Motorola and reported this as a priority.

But then again... I work for a telco myself... and sometimes non-service effecting priorities are not always top on the list.