Times Square can't shine as bright
Premium Member
join:2001-12-04
Huntington Station, NY

2 recommendations

Oxygen

Premium Member

The New Datacenter

Alright, so I posted these pictures on the [H]ardForums to beta-test them, so it looks like they qualify for the public, so I shall post them here.

Well, I finally moved into my new about 3 months ago and now I can say that I am pretty much all finished with the datacenter that I have in the basement...

It took a long time and many late nights, but it's all finished. The day of the move, I had to drag all the stuff from my old house here and slap it all together to make sure it was working for Monday. As time went on, I organized it more and more... But enough talking, let's begin the tour!

This is the main shot of the server room, anti-static lenolium floors for the server room floor, epoxy coated concrete for the rest of the area. The ceilings are not done yet, but will be very shortly. We have 3 seperate 20A circuits feeding power to this area:

This is our corporate portal Sun Enterprise 220R Server. It has all the front ends for the Oracle 10g database. It is a dual 450MHz UltraSparc with 2GB RAM and 2x 36GB SCSI Hard Drives:

This is a Sun D1000 StorEDGE JBOD drive array, there is only 2 72GB drives in there for now, but I am looking to expand the storage in the near future as our Oracle DB grows:

Next down the line is our HP ML350 Server which is running Windows Server 2003 Standard w/ Exchange Server 2003. It's our main mail server as well as message store for Cisco Unity Voicemail:

This is our WAN equipment in the same rack as the servers mentioned above. From the top down... First is the Marconi TNX-210 ATM Switch/Router from our carrier Cablevision Lightpath. The fibers on the left are the Single Mode fibers coming in from the demarc (seen later on in the tour) and the fibers on the right go to our switch router (seen later). Next is a Cisco 3662 Router which is maxed out with Flash and DRAM. It serves as our data router as well as our voice gateway to the PSTN for the Cisco CallManager system. Below that is a Cisco PIX525-R Firewall/VPN Server which is used to aggregate our other remote sites into this one. Below the PIX is our Cisco 2600 Dial In Router for remote access and below that is a Cisco VG200 PSTN voice gateway that is used for local POTS lines (911 Calls, Alarm, Etc...)

Next rack over is my switching rack. The patch panel ontop connects all the data cables in my house. Our central switch/router is a Cisco Catalyst 5509 with dual power supplies, RSM routing module, 3 10/100 Baldes, ATM Blade and a 9 Port GigE GBIC blade.

Here is a close up of the switch. I forgot to mention that it has dual supervisor engines:

Below the Catalyst 5509 is two Siecor fiber patch panels and also a patch panel that has cross-connect going to the server cabinet:

Next, we go to the server cabinet. In the lower half of the cabinet, you will find a nice array of servers. Here is the types and their purposes:

IBM X330 - Network Monitoring Server (Debian)
IBM X300 - Media Storage (Windows 2000 Server)
Dell 2650 - Windows 2000 Server - Cisco CallManager
Dell 2650 - Windows 2000 Server - Cisco Unity Voicemail
Dell 2650 - Windows 2003 Citrix MetaFrame Presentation Server
Dell 2500 - Windows 2003 DC + DNS + DHCP + WINS
Dell 2500 - Windows 2003 DC + DNS + DHCP + WINS + FTP + TFTP

KVM:

The rest of the Solaris Cluster. 3x Sun Netra X1 front end servers and another Enterprise 220R Server. This is our primary Oracle 10g server:

Now we can take a look at the wall behind the racks that has all of the telco equipent:

This is the Cablevision fiber demarc that I mentioned earlier:

And we can open up the access panel... top 2 fiber pairs go to the TNX-210 and the last pair goes to a Fiber-Copper T1 converter for our PRI:

SmartJack for the PRI T1 and also punch blocks for Lightpath and Verizon:

The temperature:

These are my punch blocks for the Cat3 phone cable runs for the house and the office:

My desk:

Love, Oxygen.

USAOwnz
RIP dadkins
Premium Member
join:2003-11-15
P.R.C.

USAOwnz

Premium Member

Damn!

cow116
Cisco Kid
Premium Member
join:2003-03-10
Indianapolis, IN

cow116 to Oxygen

Premium Member

to Oxygen
u host lan parties with that stuff... or do u not have the time

AbBaZaBbA
Premium Member
join:2002-07-10
Wildomar, CA

AbBaZaBbA to Oxygen

Premium Member

to Oxygen
just curious about the power side of things. I'm assuming you have ups's/generators do you have some pics?
53059959 (banned)
Temp banned from BBR more then anyone
join:2002-10-02
PwnZone

53059959 (banned)

lol that computer is sticking out under the desk. where do you put your feet?
dmacburry
join:2004-10-23
Bath, PA

dmacburry to Oxygen

to Oxygen
Great datacenter!

Now, why do you letter your servers?

Omega
Premium Member
join:2002-07-30
Golden, CO

Omega to Oxygen

Premium Member

to Oxygen
Good lord that is impressive!

Nice cable management too!

boethius
Boo-Yah
Premium Member
join:2002-01-28
Winters, CA

boethius to Oxygen

Premium Member

to Oxygen
Your *house*?

I don't want your electric bills. 'Course if you saw mine in the California summer, you wouldn't want mine either.

Tight setup. I've often dreamt of something similar but don't have that kind of room. Basements are very rare in Cali.

And it takes nerve to hang an E220R off a 2-post rack. That's nearly 29" deep. Best of luck but I'd get a center-mount shelf a la racksolutions.com.

DaMaGeINC
The Lan Man
Premium Member
join:2002-06-08
Greenville, SC

DaMaGeINC

Premium Member

Yea, thats not good to hang that server like that. But im sure you have something figured out already. Sexy setup like usally Chris.

Oxygen
Premium Member
Huntington Station, NY

Oxygen to boethius

Premium Member

to boethius
There is a shelf under the ML350 that supports all 3 of those boxes, but it kind of sags, so I have to pick up some shelves from work.

Rich72
Premium Member
join:2002-11-13
Colchester, CT

Rich72 to Oxygen

Premium Member

to Oxygen
I'm curious about UPS and generators as well.

Also, on the internet connection - It sounds like you have 2 companies providing service (cool) but I'm curious how that service gets to you. Does it come in underground? Does it travel down the road on poles or underground, and most importantly do you have service from one company coming down the street from one direction and service from the other company coming down the street from the other direction?

Sweet setup - best one I've seen here.

Oxygen
Premium Member
Huntington Station, NY

Oxygen to AbBaZaBbA

Premium Member

to AbBaZaBbA
said by AbBaZaBbA:

just curious about the power side of things. I'm assuming you have ups's/generators do you have some pics?
The power situation is really bad at the moment. There is ONE UPS that holds up the Marconi, 3662, Sun 220R, D1000 and the ML350. Everything else gets fed raw power.

There is a nice APC UPS solution in the works though... should be buying it soon.
kenjamin
join:2005-02-23
Norwalk, IA

kenjamin to Oxygen

to Oxygen
I'll take 2 please....here's my 2 first born. j/k.

Sweet setup, how long did it take you to get everything in and setup to this point?

DrewY
@66.5.x.x

DrewY to Oxygen

Anon

to Oxygen
That phone system you have has me quite curious. I have seen these in businesses before, and have always wanted a system exactly like that for my office. Can you share the details on how that works and how you have it setup?

Drew
angryjohn5
join:2004-11-05
Chicago, IL

angryjohn5 to Oxygen

to Oxygen
All I can say is...wow

So why do you need all that stuff in your house? What is it used for?

Erwin_D
join:2003-06-30
Netherlands

Erwin_D to Oxygen

to Oxygen
Wow... Don't you think you should have finished the ceiling before putting all the equipment in?

DaMaGeINC
The Lan Man
Premium Member
join:2002-06-08
Greenville, SC

1 edit

DaMaGeINC

Premium Member

That is the finished product... Its not a bedroom, its a datacenter. It needs easy access to the house's infostructure.

Id like to see a shot of the back of the cisco's tho.
frost203
join:2005-09-17

frost203 to Oxygen

to Oxygen
Damn thats one hell of a home setup!!!!

packetpusher
Premium Member
join:2005-03-22
Oakville, ON

packetpusher to Oxygen

Premium Member

to Oxygen
That's beautiful man, just beautiful.

Oxygen
Premium Member
Huntington Station, NY

Oxygen to Erwin_D

Premium Member

to Erwin_D
You should get on the next flight to New York and help me put a ceiling in!

But in all seriousness, I will put in a ceiling in very shortly, I am just deciding between a drop ceiling or to have some one drywall it.

iqsr
Afflicted With T.A.S
Premium Member
join:2003-12-16
Abernathy, TX

iqsr to Oxygen

Premium Member

to Oxygen
I would go drop for easy access. If you are careful you can install it without moving any of your equipment.
jayman2004
join:2004-12-07
Victoria, BC

jayman2004 to Oxygen

to Oxygen
i say drop also due to a fue main reason's eazy access for running new wireing and cableing and also a lot less dust as if you went drywall cutting it theres dust then mudding it sanding it it makes a load of dust so all the server and any thing with fans would need to be covered. my buddy found that out the hard way well doing some drywall at his work the server ended up getting full of dust and overheated due to the heatsinks getting filled up wasent cheap to fix thoes suns cost a lot.
celtron
join:2005-12-15

celtron to Oxygen

to Oxygen
Yeah... drop would be one of the most versatile. Gee... now this is what I call a Data Center.

I'm currently stuffing my server rack in a bomb shelter somewhere in South East Asia, and am thinking of getting in sufficient cooling later to support the boxes and peripherals. Will post later.

Oxygen
Premium Member
Huntington Station, NY

Oxygen to DrewY

Premium Member

to DrewY
said by DrewY :

That phone system you have has me quite curious. I have seen these in businesses before, and have always wanted a system exactly like that for my office. Can you share the details on how that works and how you have it setup?
I will try to dig up some circuit path Visios for you guys...
tvjay
join:2005-12-15
Perrysburg, OH

1 edit

tvjay

How about a network map/diagram?

hayabusa3303
Over 200 mph
Premium Member
join:2005-06-29
Florence, SC

hayabusa3303 to Oxygen

Premium Member

to Oxygen
Love those suns.

i would hate to know how much your power bill is a month. OUCH.

cow116
Cisco Kid
Premium Member
join:2003-03-10
Indianapolis, IN

cow116

Premium Member

probably gets written off as a business expense

Oxygen
Premium Member
Huntington Station, NY

Oxygen to tvjay

Premium Member

to tvjay
said by tvjay:

How about a network map/diagram?
Sorry, still have not had the chance to pull those up and edit them and stuff. Before 10PM tonight, promise.
bilbusb
join:2003-04-10
Tucker, GA

bilbusb to Oxygen

to Oxygen
how many locations you got? i saw the call manager server, so i know its more then one =)

Oxygen
Premium Member
Huntington Station, NY

Oxygen

Premium Member

said by bilbusb:

how many locations you got? i saw the call manager server, so i know its more then one =)
3 survivable sites, 8 remote users with soft and hard phones connected via VPN. Soon to install phones in the Bronx and opening up a walk-in store in Manhattan.

123 Registered Phones, 92 UM Mailboxes.