uniqs

reub2000
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Evanston, IL

reub2000

Premium Member

Distrowatch?

Distrowatch is just showing their PHP code. Does anyone know what's going on with distrowatch?

firephoto
Truth and reality matters
Premium Member
join:2003-03-18
Brewster, WA

firephoto

Premium Member

Click for full size
Looks ok here.

reub2000
Premium Member
Evanston, IL

1 edit

reub2000

Premium Member

Click for full size
Huh, this is what it looks like for me.

I loaded it in konquror, and it works. Weird.

PetePuma
How many lumps do you want
MVM
join:2002-06-13
Arlington, VA

PetePuma

MVM

Try clearing your cache.

reub2000
Premium Member
Evanston, IL

reub2000

Premium Member

said by PetePuma:

Try clearing your cache.
Okay, now the site works. What happened? Some type of server upgrade?

PetePuma
MVM
Arlington, VA

PetePuma

MVM

I used to have this problem with Firefox and firefox-based stuff, though I haven't seen it happen much since FF 1.0.7.

rjackson

join:2002-04-02
Ringgold, GA

rjackson

There's no way it could be a browser problem. If the server is sending unparsed PHP code, something's borked on their end.

yock
TFTC
Premium Member
join:2000-11-21
Miamisburg, OH

yock

Premium Member

said by rjackson:

There's no way it could be a browser problem. If the server is sending unparsed PHP code, something's borked on their end.
Indeed, rather it's likely they read the browser agent and one of their variants didn't work quite right.

PetePuma
MVM
Arlington, VA

1 edit

PetePuma to rjackson

MVM

to rjackson
said by rjackson:

edit:
I respectfully disagree -- at least in previous vers of FF, I'd sometimes get certain sites to render correctly and other times get the dump of the underlying code. Clearing the cache *always* resolved the issue.

yock
TFTC
Premium Member
join:2000-11-21
Miamisburg, OH

yock

Premium Member

said by PetePuma:
said by rjackson:

I respectfully disagree -- at least in previous vers of FF, I'd sometimes get certain sites to render correctly and other times get the dump of the underlying code. Clearing the cache *always* resolved the issue.
Browsers just don't handle PHP, so there's something stranger afoul.

rjackson

Ringgold, GA
Netgear R6400
Switches Trash Bin
Apple AirPort Extreme (2011)

rjackson to PetePuma

to PetePuma
I'd like to know how then. PHP is a server-side processing language that is parsed by the server before any content is sent to the client. There's no way in your browser to see the script that generates the page.

I have witnessed certain times when a page is sent with an incorrect Content-Type of text/plain, rather than text/html. In that case, Firefox will usually spit out un-rendered HTML, because it's doing as it thinks it should. That's not what is happening here though. Something server-side had gone wrong.

PetePuma
MVM
Arlington, VA

PetePuma

MVM

That's what I get for not looking at the full-size screenshots. I assumed this was the generated HTML with client-side embedded code; I see that it's actually the server-side PHP. I retract my earlier statement in this case.

rjackson

Ringgold, GA
Netgear R6400
Switches Trash Bin
Apple AirPort Extreme (2011)

rjackson

No problem I think I do know what you are talking about though. If an HTML document is sent with a Content-Type of text/plain Firefox renders as such. If it's a temp server snafu reloading it usually gets the right Content-Type sent and the page renders.