how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

chugger93

join:2005-10-06
Macomb, MI

Layer 3 Switches? Recommendations

Can anyone confirm if the Cisco 2970 switch is a true layer 3 switch? CDW.com told me it wasn't. Then they recommended the Cisco Catalyst 3560 for me, and told me it was a layer 3 switch. Of course its more money and my boss only wants to spend like 3 grand on a switch.

Can anyone tell me if there is a web interface to these switches? or just CLI? I want something thats relatively easy seeing as Ive never seen a cisco switch before.

Thanks guys

vipergg2

join:2003-12-17

2970 is a layer 2 only I believe , you would have to go into the catalyst 3xxx series to get layer 2 and layer 3 . Well if you have limited resources you may have to look at vendors other than cisco if you only have $3000 and you need layer 3 routing . Someone like Dell, HP or somebody might have something in that price range don't know.

aryoba
Premium,MVM
join:2002-08-22
kudos:4

2 edits
reply to chugger93

Maybe you still can get a new Catalyst 3550 for cheap?

Anyway, I found the following 3560 for under $3000 as your boss wishes:
»cgi.ebay.com/Cisco-WS-C3560-24TS···ViewItem

chugger93

Macomb, MI

1 edit

Thanks but we were looking for 10/100/1000

Does anyone know if these switches are hard to configure? Do they just have a CLI or web interface too? I dont really have experience with these switches so easier would be better for now, until I get more experience

Da Geek Kid

join:2003-10-11
::1
kudos:1

3550 24 EMI will give you 24 ports of 10/100 with routing capabilities. You can also choose the 48 port if you need more... they both support the WEB enabled configuration. I believe to make it fine tuned you'd have to use the command line.

GM85
Click, Click

join:2002-07-02
London, ON

2 edits

Click for full size
I agree with Da Geek Kid See Profile, in that if you want to get very specific things configured on this switch, you use the CLI

If you want a GUI, Cisco has a free downloadable program out called Cisco Network Assistant, with is designed for configuring switches. It can configure port settings, VLANS, QoS, Port Security and whatnot (That Screenshot I took is with a 2950, but with a 35xx, it will let you configure routing). For some reason, it seems that Cisco is moving away from the web-based configuration on some of their products.

I contacted TAC regarding this, since the web-based GUI wouldn't load since I had Java 1.5. They told me that they aren't designing the web GUI and that the Cisco Network Assistant application is taking over it's place.

chugger93

Macomb, MI

Wow thanks for the screenshot.

Do you see a need for us to even user layer 3 switching? I'm not sure of the major differences between layer 2 and 3 switches.

We only have 50 users, a few servers, a cisco router and a few switches. NO wan's or anything major. Just a medium size network

Da Geek Kid

Reviews:
·Callcentric

layer 3 gives you routing capabilities and multiple VLANs that can be routed between them. For example, you can have accounting work group have a certain IP address... You than put ACLs for others not to access accounting while Accounting can web browse and access all shared drives..

Layer 2 on the other hand will only give you simple access controls within a same VLAN..

Although there are ways to produce the same result with a router as a layer 3 switch, but a layer 3 switch will replace a router. Meaning a layer 3 switch is both a router and a switch in one box.

aryoba
Premium,MVM
reply to chugger93

The 3560 with 24 TX port like the one link I provided previously also has additional 2 Gigabit ports. Here is the Cisco link for more detail:

»www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/···d7d.html

As to the idea of replacing a router with layer-3 switch, it is not entirely proper for all occasions. Yes, there are things that should be done by layer-3 switch instead of a router. However there are also things should (or sometime must) be done by router instead of layer-3 switch.

Da Geek Kid

Reviews:
·Callcentric

said by aryoba:

As to the idea of replacing a router with layer-3 switch, it is not entirely proper for all occasions. Yes, there are things that should be done by layer-3 switch instead of a router. However there are also things should (or sometime must) be done by router instead of layer-3 switch.
Aside from the physical connectivity to the outside interfaces such as ISDN/T1/T3 etc interfaces what routing capabilities are there in a router that is not available on a L3 switch? (again we are not comparing a 7500 series routers to a 3550 switch)...

aryoba
Premium,MVM

In general, you want to use a router when most of the time the device does routing. Likewise, you want to use a switch when when most of the time the device does switching. This statement becomes more apparent when dealing with larger network like an ISP or large corporation.

Example in ISP is that they use router (at least 7600 series) to have full view of BGP (the edge router). As for their "internal network", they use layer-3 switches (usually 6500 series).

The idea of creating layer-3 switch basically to do inter-VLAN routing in "internal network" efficiently while keeping layer-2 features such as spanning tree and trunking. However to deal with "border" or "edge" of the network, a router is used since a router is basically designed to handle traffic across the border or the edge network.

Da Geek Kid

Reviews:
·Callcentric

ok, but this is gonna get offtopic real soon...

as for BGP, a 6500 switch does what a 7600 series performs Sup720 is identical in both 7600 and 6500 and therefore no gain in Routing capabilities. 6500 can handle the content switching module where 7600 cannot. 7600 can handle OCx cards and other physical cards that 6500 cannot. Those are the only difference.

I do agree that if the budget is limitless use the Hardware for its name. Buy a router for routing, a switch for layer 2 traffic.