uniqs

fire100
Premium Member
join:2001-11-21
Twin Lake, MI

fire100

Premium Member

MA111 Configuration Utility Limited Account

I reformatted my kids computer yesterday and wanted to make them use a Limited Account under XP SP2.

The problem is the utility will not launch under a limited account. I even went in and assigned the user name Full NTFS permissions to the NETGEAR folder.

It launches the minute I tell it to run as an Administrator account, but it does not save these settings.

Any other ideas other than running their accounts as Admin?

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

Install the Utityly in your admin account -- then once it is installed all other Limited Account under XP SP2 will be able to connect using the MA111.

fire100
Premium Member
Twin Lake, MI

fire100

Premium Member

Did that, the problem is the utility in the Start menu under all other accounts will not launch under the limited accounts. Once you log in as the Admin account, it launches fine.

mozerd
MVM
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

said by fire100:

Did that, the problem is the utility in the Start menu under all other accounts will not launch under the limited accounts. Once you log in as the Admin account, it launches fine.
After installing the USB adapter drivers the Limited Account holders do not need to use that utility --- all you should care about is that they can gain access to the Network via the USB network interface.

Only the admin should work with the setup utility.

If you want everyone with Limited Account privileges to have access to configuring the wireless settings for the MA111 then forget the utility Netgear provides [un-install it] and use Windows Zero Configuration system instead.

fire100
Premium Member
Twin Lake, MI

fire100

Premium Member

I don't want them to have to change the configuration, but the network does not go on, until the utility shows up in the system clock and goes "green".

This does not happen unless they have Admin rights. There was even a post at the Netgear forums with a person have the same trouble, I was hoping someone here ran into the same thing and had a fix.

The Windows wireless icon does not go on line, until at the point that Netgear icon shows up in the task bar.

Without using the Netgear utility, the Windows Zero configuration does not work with the WPA-PSK settings.

mozerd
MVM
Nepean, ON

1 recommendation

mozerd

MVM

said by fire100:

Without using the Netgear utility, the Windows Zero configuration does not work with the WPA-PSK settings.
Under Windows XP/SP2 if you use the Windows Install Wizard to install the drivers for the MA111 USB network adapter you should then be able to use WPA-PSK without any problem.

First un-install the Netgear Utility and remove the MA111 then make sure that WZC service is turned on

Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services
scroll down until you find Windows Zero Configuration and make sure that its set to 'Started' and Startup Type is set to 'Automatic'

Close the Services window and then reboot the computer .... after the computer reboots and Windows is up and running now plug-in the MA111 ... the Windows Install Wizard should announce that its found new hardware

Now select the option that LOOKS for the Drivers on the CD and allow the Wizard to install the drivers from the Netgear CD .... after the Install Wizard has finished and you get a balloon tip that tells you your Hardware is ready to be used THEN proceed with the WZC to configure your wireless settings that should also include WPA-PSK.

fire100
Premium Member
Twin Lake, MI

fire100

Premium Member

I finally got a chance to try this today, and it worked great. Thanks for your help!