spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

joedbq

@mchsi.com

Upgrading a modem: Do I need to call first?

Im currently on an SB3100. Its been flawless for me, but it cannot handle the speed upgrade. I find speeds are slower than they were before the upgrade. I would really like a newer Surfboard instead of something else (absolutely refuse to use anything from RCA).

Can I just go into my local Mediacom office here in Dbq (not far from me at all) and tell them to upgrade me (free of charge of course since it'd be a lease), or do I need to call and setup an appointment, and have a cable tech come to my house with the new modem (which isnt needed since I can do the install myself)?

I ask because the last time I had went to the office they wouldnt answer a single question, they just tell me to call the national service number. THanks!

ppcpunk9

join:2001-02-11
Davenport, IA

I recently had a bad modem and went in to a local mediacom office and just asked for a new one then called up customer service and had them register it.

Turbocpe
Premium
join:2001-12-22
IA
reply to joedbq

While you can call support, you can register the new modem yourself.

See this post. It's old, but still works.
»Having Problems getting online?

notsogood

@mchsi.com
reply to joedbq

No that doen't work. They updated from Sas to walledgarden.

If you change your modem it should gige you a 10 dot IP. When you open the browser it should take you to the Reg site. Use your account number and the last 9 of the same number as the password. It will ask if you want to replace the modem just click yes.

If for some reason your dns doesn't take you there the address is »walledgarden.mchsd.com

Turbocpe
Premium
join:2001-12-22
IA

1 edit

said by notsogood :

No that doen't work. They updated from Sas to walledgarden.

If you change your modem it should gige you a 10 dot IP. When you open the browser it should take you to the Reg site. Use your account number and the last 9 of the same number as the password. It will ask if you want to replace the modem just click yes.

If for some reason your dns doesn't take you there the address is »walledgarden.mchsd.com
I upgraded my modem just a few weeks ago and I thought I used the SAS website. But I could be wrong, perhaps I used walledgarden.

Though the rest of the information in that post is still valid.

Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-01
IA
kudos:2

1 edit

Even if you try that sas page it will take you to walledgarden.

Once you get your new modem and hook it up just restart your computer (if you have a router you will need to remove it so you can register the modem). If your network settings are set to default (ie no custom DNS servers etc) once you try to go to a website (any website) you will be redirected to the walledgarden page.

You will need to enter your account number (located on your billing statement) in the first field and registration code in the second field (note that *most of the time* this is the last 9 digits of your account number, if this is not the case you will need to contact tech support). Click on SUBMIT and after that click on Options in Mediacom Online section (unless you have Mediacom Phone service this will be your only available section).

Click on YES and after that click on HERE. Your modem should reset on it's own but if not reset it manually.

If you have a router hook it back up, reset your modem again and once you modem is synced up, reset the router. After that restart your computer.

It's really simple, but of course you can always request a service tech to replace your modem and he will do this for you. Or at least he should...