Brian V.
Premium Member
join:2005-12-23
UK

6 recommendations

LordV

Premium Member

3-D cross-eye stereograms- howto

bostechie asked me to explain how I do 3-D shots such as these.
»/showp ··· &1=1&1=1

»/showp ··· &1=1&1=1

They are in fact easy to do.
basically you take one shot of the subject and then move the camera sideways approx 1/30th of the subject distance (for macro shots this around 1-2cms) and take another pic. For flowers I use a tripod to do this and just move the tripod but you could do it on a macrostage if you have one.
You may need to recentre the subject after moving. Take the shots into PS and crop and align them - I normally crop one, copy it and paste it on the other and adjust the opacity of the layer so I can see both shots- and crop around the layer- then delete the layer.
You can then check the stereo content by putting the pics side by side- remember to create a cross-eye stereogram you have to swap over the L&R pics as taken so they are on R & L side. You can in fact do all of this in a neat piece of freeware called stereophotomaker (just google for it). It's handy to have a pair of anaglyph glasses for this (those coloured stereo pic viewer glasses).
Frequently when I'm doing flower closeup shots I also use focus stacking to increase the focus depth. This just means I take several shots to cover the focal depth of the subject for each half of the stereo pic and then use combinez5 (again freeware) to stack the images before starting the alignment process above.

The more aligned you make the shots (size, rotation and vertical alignment) the easier they are to view and the less likely to give you a headache trying.
The other "rule" which I frequently break is that if you imagine you are looking at the 3-D picture through a window (the frame around the edge) you should not have any objects touching the frame as this makes it difficult to view. You are allowed to have things coming through the window as long as they don't touch the sides- the 2nd pic is an example of this. You adjust this apparent behind the window depth in stereophotomaker but it's to do with the pic spacing and view overlap.
If you can actually view the pictures they are great fun to do yourself.
Brian V.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

Nezmo

MVM

Thank you.

rcroning
D700 Rocks
Premium Member
join:2005-05-21
Winnipeg, MB

1 edit

rcroning to LordV

Premium Member

to LordV
WOW!!! Nice 3D shots!!! The second one seems to jump right out of the frame. But ouch, my head hurts:(

EDIT: Would anyone here have plans on how to build a handheld stereogram viewer like in the old days? And I wonder if pics like these could be printed and viewed in such a viewer? Because not everyone can do a defocus/crosseye/relax successfully.
35375105 (banned)
join:2002-11-20

35375105 (banned)

said by rcroning:

But ouch, my head hurts:(
lol agreed.

1 edit

35375105 (banned) to LordV

to LordV
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Yep fun to do. Here's some I did about 6 months ago. But they don't even come close to popping out as much as LordV See Profile's.

MikeG
Premium Member
join:2004-10-02
Hamilton, ON

MikeG to LordV

Premium Member

to LordV
said by rcroning:

Because not everyone can do a defocus/crosseye/relax successfully.
i cant

Edit This
Premium Member
join:2001-05-08

Edit This to LordV

Premium Member

to LordV
It's as if I can climb right into the image. Thanks very much for this Brian.

rcroning
D700 Rocks
Premium Member
Winnipeg, MB

rcroning to LordV

Premium Member

to LordV
Here is a link for post camera work in PS for Stereograms
»www.fotofects.com/tutori ··· reogram/

Catman
Coasting On Lifes Highway
Premium Member
join:2003-03-13
Pineville, WV

Catman to MikeG

Premium Member

to MikeG
said by MikeG:

said by rcroning:

Because not everyone can do a defocus/crosseye/relax successfully.
i cant
That makes two of us.

SurfTheSky
Flyingphotog
MVM
join:2001-08-26
Fairfax, CA

SurfTheSky

MVM

I've tried reducing the size of the image like some others have suggested, and I can't quite do it. Very fascinating method though.

rcroning
D700 Rocks
Premium Member
Winnipeg, MB

rcroning to LordV

Premium Member

to LordV
And here is a link on how to build viewers for prints and slides for those who may be interested.
»www.funsci.com/fun3_en/s ··· tscp.htm

aggiejy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-10
Wimberley, TX

aggiejy to LordV

Premium Member

to LordV
Awesome! Thanks!

LordV
Brian V.
Premium Member
UK

LordV to 35375105

Premium Member

to 35375105
Your 3-D shots work extremely well especially the waterfall.
Brian V.

Gemologist
Premium Member
join:2001-11-15
USA

Gemologist to LordV

Premium Member

to LordV
I can't see it..lol.. My eyes cross but I still see 2 images and get a headache..

LordV
Brian V.
Premium Member
UK

1 recommendation

LordV to SurfTheSky

Premium Member

to SurfTheSky
Not everyone can visualise these (I'd guess it's about 50% of people can). My son claims he saw an article somewhere that said intelligent people can't do them ( think that might be because he can't do them either ).
Brian V.

Gemologist
Premium Member
join:2001-11-15
USA

Gemologist

Premium Member

That explains it then

SurfTheSky
Flyingphotog
MVM
join:2001-08-26
Fairfax, CA

1 recommendation

SurfTheSky

MVM

Well there we go!

MikeG
Premium Member
join:2004-10-02
Hamilton, ON

1 recommendation

MikeG to LordV

Premium Member

to LordV
That must be true

HogRider
Premium Member
join:2002-01-16
Phoenix, AZ

HogRider to LordV

Premium Member

to LordV
I can't see it, but I get a headache.

McFly5
Premium Member
join:2001-09-03
Carleton Place, ON

McFly5 to LordV

Premium Member

to LordV
Cant really seem them. Hurts my eyes.

Chuck22
Premium Member
join:2003-11-10
Salt Lake City, UT

Chuck22 to LordV

Premium Member

to LordV
Works for me (but I wouldn't want to view a whole album of stereo images that way ).
Very nice stereo's though.

Dandy6
join:2001-12-30
Brooklyn, NY

Dandy6 to LordV

to LordV
I can't see it ?

MxxCon
join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
ARRIS TM822
Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I

MxxCon to LordV

to LordV
actually i think most people can't do it because posted images are rather large and it's hard to cross your eyes that far.
on LordV's flikr pool, you can size images smaller than here on DSLR...»www.flickr.com/photo_zoo ··· 8&size=s
i think it also depends if 2 images are of equal separation as your eyes.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

Nezmo to LordV

MVM

to LordV
said by LordV:

Not everyone can visualise these (I'd guess it's about 50% of people can). My son claims he saw an article somewhere that said intelligent people can't do them ( think that might be because he can't do them either ).
Brian V.
Must be why I can't see anything in those magic pictures either. You know the ones that are seemingly a random pattern yet an image is in there somewhere.

jfgnet
12 Step Program
Premium Member
join:2001-02-14
Limbo

jfgnet to LordV

Premium Member

to LordV
I can't see it on these yet, can do it on the stereo pix in the malls. Do you look at theses the same way ??

Sappertech
@harcourt.com

Sappertech to LordV

Anon

to LordV
I love doing this (and yes, it can give you a headache, but well worth it!) One of my favorite things to do with cross-eye viewing is looking at the pictures sent from the Mars rovers Spirit and Opportunity. Many of their pictures are stereo pairs, just open the 2 images side by side, but REMEMBER to swap left and right. That means, put the left image on the right side of the screen, and vice versa.

Hope he does not mind the link, but here is an amazing website with ALL of the images returned from the rovers. They are downloaded automatically, and some are auto-processed into red-blue stereo images (and from those, there are links to the raw black and whites that you can make your own stereo pairs from).

»www.lyle.org/mars
35375105 (banned)
join:2002-11-20

35375105 (banned) to jfgnet

to jfgnet
Make sure you are about 2 feet from your computer screen.

35375105 (banned) to LordV

to LordV
Everyone can do it when they understand how to properly do it. It's much easier to have it explained to you in person rather then read how to do it on the internet.

I had very much trouble getting this to work years ago when first saw these types of things. But after experimenting a lot I found the trick to it.

I'll try to make it sound more simple. You cross your eyes until you see 3 images instead of 2. You then hold your eyes there and focus on the middle picture.

aggiejy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-10
Wimberley, TX

aggiejy to jfgnet

Premium Member

to jfgnet
said by jfgnet:

I can't see it on these yet, can do it on the stereo pix in the malls. Do you look at theses the same way ??
I think the answer is no... at least for me anyway.

If you've been able to look at the weird clutter looking pictures where a pattern comes out: I think this is different.

On those they tell you to un-focus your eyes and stare through the image. I tried for about a day looking at these pictures with that method to no avail... and then I read the instructions LordV See Profile put before his pictures... I CROSSED my eyes a whole lot, letting them slowly come together. I had it down in 5 minutes. Now it's easy.

Hope this helps someone. It's worth it... very cool to look at.

rcroning
D700 Rocks
Premium Member
Winnipeg, MB

rcroning to LordV

Premium Member

to LordV
said by LordV:

My son claims he saw an article somewhere that said intelligent people can't do them ( think that might be because he can't do them either ).
Brian V.
WOW!!! So many intelligent people here:D