All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
dzr
join:2004-10-12

dzr

[Other] QoS Compusa 333628 /Edimax br-6204WG

I have a WRT54G -- but when I saw the Compusa 333628 on sale( which is the edimax br-6204WG) which has QoS, I decided to pick one up for my brother, who uses VOIP too. So far, QoS tests haven't been working too well.

I have my TA set as a static IP, outside of the DHCP range. I have Two QoS rules defined, one as Upload and the other Download.

1.40 firmware

I have 128 kbps Guarantee with Protocol UDP. The Local IP address,
start of range, is the static IP set on the TA. No end of range. (If I put an end of range, it deleted it. Anyhow, the static IP is above the DHCP provided IPs).

Traffic Type None

Yet, when I do a speakeasy upload test, I hear breakups of my voice on my PSTN line that I call with the VOIP line.

Anyone have better luck? Any ideas?

jdong
Eat A Beaver, Save A Tree.
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Rochester, MI

jdong

Premium Member

Re: [Other] QoS Compusa 333628 /Edimax br-6204WG

»CompUSA wireless g $2.99 a/r - 2days only

This is a thread split from the thread above, previously a bit more discussion about QoS occurred, as long as a surface analysis of the router (Realtek, Linux 2.4, iptables)
ms59
join:2005-09-20
Beverly Hills, CA

ms59

I don't suppose anyone has gotten the bridge or WDS functions to work in conjunction with a WRT54GS running HyperWRT?

I know the WDS works when you've got two of these routers, but as I have only one and the Linksys, I'd like to get bridge mode working at least.

I've messed around with settings on both routers for most of today, with no success. Though this did lead me to install the newest version of HyperWRT Thibor, so at least something productive got done today.

I read the post about adding each routers wireless MAC addy to each others list, but that did not lead to a working setup.

I'll continue researching this on my own, but if anyone has any experience with using this router along with a WRT, I'd like to hear about it.
czc587
join:2005-05-23
Avondale, PA

czc587

darthmandeep, curious to hear you results, I just installed mine (bought at 2.99 AR) and so far works ok as a wireness router, but range is not as good as the linksys BEFW11S4 it replaced. Now what to do with the spare BEFW11S4 ??
ms59
Beverly Hills, CA

ms59

I've put aside the quest to get WDS working for now, as I've got plenty of other small tech problems and jobs to deal with.

I also have a BEFW11S4 laying around and while I have no real use for it at the moment, I'll be keeping it just in case.

For your network, if the CompUSA AP doesn't have enough range, why not plug the BEFW11S4 into it and use it for clients that are too far to use the G AP? You could also try foil reflectors, I've had great success with them.

I'll be getting back to working on this router's bridge mode eventually, but for now I'm having a wonderful headache resolving the slow speed of my Linksys WPC54GS.

Isn't technology fun?
skornn
join:2002-01-13
Cleveland, OH

skornn

I've gotten WDS to work using WEP successfully with a WRT54G v1.0 using DD-WRT v23, but I have not been successful using WPA or WPA2.
ms59
Beverly Hills, CA

ms59

As I understand, WDS simply will not work with anything greater than WEP.

Still, great news. I'll have to try again. If I still can't get it working, it'll give me an excuse to try out Brainslayer's new release.
dzr
join:2004-10-12

dzr to jdong

to jdong
Although at this point, I'm still waiting for their tech support to get an answer from the manufacturer: Someone called me from Ferris Marketing (the ones who do tech support for these routers) asking if I received an solution to my issue yet. When I said "no", they had another techie call me back a couple hours later!

I don't know the last time I've heard a tech support line call me asking if I was satisfied! (I've heard of Sales depts asking such questions). Of course, I should've replied, "No, the problem isn't resolved, but they're waiting for a response from the manufacturer" - as a techie calling me back wasn't going to help me in this case.
dzr

dzr

said by dzr:

I have 128 kbps Guarantee with Protocol UDP. The Local IP address,
start of range, is the static IP set on the TA. No end of range. (If I put an end of range, it deleted it. Anyhow, the static IP is above the DHCP provided IPs).
As mentioned in the previous thread, if I made the QoS parameters limiting ("max"ing) the bandwidth of the machines other than the VOIP TA, it does limit the bandwidth. It limits the bandwidth of the other machines all the time, not just when the TA is being used.

I still haven't heard an update from tech support and still don't have a solution to being able to do QoS on the TA itself, versus negating everything else. I am also hoping doing a "guarantee" wont be a hard bandwidth limit, like the "max" is.

I tried something else, to no avail.

I changed TAs/providers, to a SIP TA with a provider from whom I know the SIP servers. I then tested other criteria, such as entering in the destination IPs and ports (seperately and together). That still did not work.
dzr

dzr

This is the response I received from FMI, (originating from edimax):

"> If customers want to reserve bandwidth, they need to configure their
> bandwidth completely. For example, if I have 384kbps upload bandwidth
> and I want to reserve 128kbps bandwidth, then two rules are needed: The
> first one is "guarantee 128kbps upload" and the second one is setup
> other traffics to "maximum 256kbps upload" "

I followed up with two comments/questions for them to send back to the manufacturer:

A) Just doing "Maximum" for the 'other traffic' limits the bandwidth. Adding the "Guarantee" for the TA doesn't change the behavior already specified by the "Maximum" rule.

B) Is the logic of the QoS just supposed to create a "hard limit" or is it supposed to do smarter traffic shaping than that. (They use the language "reserve bandwidth", so it seems that there is not supposed to be real traffic shaping.) Oh well, I'll keep my eye out for firmware updates...

==
Lastly, someone posted that the project at the below URL, is an alphatest for third party firmware for the chipset of this router:

»rtl8181.sourceforge.net/

This is for the RTL8181. This router has the newer RTL8186. Reading posts, it doesn't seem like you can just use the same firmware for both of them.
dzr

1 edit

dzr

FMI has actually been very quick (next day) in turn around time for replies from edimax... (Other than the first time, where it seems they didn't have my email address entered correctly.)

Here is their description of the QoS situation - as a reply to my questions to them (I haven't corrected grammar):

A) First of all you have to set up both rules,
³guarantee for VoIP [High Priority] upload² and ³maximum for other traffics upload²

B) ²Guarantee² only make sure that a certain amount of bandwidth is reserved for a certain application. Let¹s say that the user has 400Kbps of bandwidth and want to reserve 100Kbps for VoIP, he or she will have to
set 100Kbps for the VoIP with ³Guarantee² and 300Kbps ³Max² for the rest of the application. This has been proven working yesterday, but in a scenario that the internet connection has become unstable and the total bandwidth has dropped to 200Kbps, there will still be 100Kbps for the VoIP and the rest of the application will have 100Kbps of bandwidth instead.

But in a scenario that the internet connection is even more unstable and that the total bandwidth drops below 100Kbps, neither the ³Guarantee² nor ³Max² will work because the total bandwidth is already violating these
settings in the first place. It should work as long as there is enough resource given to the router.

C) If you have set up both "guarantee" and "maximum", then this router will do bandwidth limitation and the PCs will never have access to the bandwidth which has
reserved for the VOIP TA, even if you are not using the VOIP TA.
===

I know that the "Max" by itself works -- but they keep on telling me that you need to do both "Max" and "Guarantee".
I can't really test to make sure that the "Max" / "Guarantee" setup, makes sure that enough bandwidth is guaranteed when the WAN bandwidth drops...
==
Since this router doesn't have static DHCP, I'll have to set the VOIP TA a static IP address, via the TA's configuration.