saber11
Check Six
Premium Member
join:2000-06-09
Clayton, OH

saber11

Premium Member

[Tech] Anybody know how to replace mirror assymbly

My wife ripped the drivers side mirror off the car going into the garage.

It's a 2003 Grand Prix GTP.

I ordered a replacement mirror from GM, but need instructions for attaching it and hooking up the power for the mirror motor.

No other damage, I took it too a body shop and got an estimate of $475 to replace just the mirror.

The mirror itself was only $60 to order, I'm pretty handy, how hard can it be?

CrippleFight
join:2001-07-11

CrippleFight

Re: [Tech] Anybody know how to replace mirror assy

usually its just 2-3 bolts on the inside of the door. If there is a little plastic panel or tweeter take it off and you should see the bolts. Also if its power or has heat there is a connector you need to connect

mattmag

join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois

mattmag to saber11

to saber11

That one's a bit of a job. You'll need to remove the inside door panel first, and that can be a task if you're not familiar with the plastic retainer "trees" and where some of the fasteners are located.

There are two screws behind plastic plugs behind the pull handle area, and rest of the panel is secured by the push-in retainers. Start at the lower rear corner of the panel, and you'll need a long, flat thin tool to pull the panel away from the door frame. There is a special tool for the job, that resembles a fork you'd use for the barbecue grill. Matter of fact, I know someone that once used just that to get the panel off, and it worked fine.

Once the panel is free, you'll see the mirror mounting bolts, and the harness that comes out of the mirror that you'll need to disconnect. After that, it's "reverse procedure to install".

If you get stuck, let us know...

-Matt

Grumpy4
Premium Member
join:2001-07-28
NW CT

2 recommendations

Grumpy4 to saber11

Premium Member

to saber11
This panel tool may help to pop the door panel off. They cost around $6 or $8 at most auto parts stores.

mattmag

NW Illinois

mattmag

Nice one Grump. Definitely nicer than the BBQ fork!!!!

stltech
join:2002-01-27
Florissant, MO

stltech to saber11

to saber11
on my truck no fork was needed. after unbolting everything i lifted up on it, then pulled out. no goofy clips!

btw - 2002 Explorer.

mattmag

NW Illinois

mattmag

Yes, but we should try to stay on-topic, which is a 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. We could all post "alternative" situations, but that wouldn't do much for the original question.

-Matt

saber11
Check Six
Premium Member
Clayton, OH

saber11

Premium Member

I looked there doesn't seem to be alot of screws holding the door panel on, I won't be able to put it on till this weekend, so I'll let ya know how it goes.

mattmag

NW Illinois

mattmag

There's only two.

But they are behind those pesky little plastic plugs, so look close. From there it's easy with the plastic retainers.

TLS2000
Premium Member
join:2004-02-24
Elmsdale, NS

TLS2000 to saber11

Premium Member

to saber11

Re: [Tech] Anybody know how to replace mirror assymbly

Don't forget to have it painted before you put it on.
bgraham2
join:2001-03-15
Smithtown, NY

bgraham2 to saber11

to saber11

Re: [Tech] Anybody know how to replace mirror assy

go to the local library. They usually have all of the Chilton manuals which describe all of the prceedure with pictures. My wifes Buick has one screw buried under the door trim that is accessible only after you remove the interior lamp from the door. I would have never known this if i had not read the chilton manual.

Grumpy4
Premium Member
join:2001-07-28
NW CT

Grumpy4

Premium Member

said by Grumpy4:

This panel tool may help to pop the door panel off. They cost around $6 or $8 at most auto parts stores.
As you can see, a panel tool distributes the prying force over a wide area, as compared to a screwdriver, which often snaps the pried surface or gouges the surface underneath. Panel tools are very handy for dashboard work too, as in replacing audio heads and the like. That flimsy little broken $11 dash panel is often priced closer to $111, and is almost always a dealer item, unless the junkyard gods are smiling. I bought a panel tool for an audio install years ago. It was among the best $8 I've ever spent on tools.

saber11
Check Six
Premium Member
Clayton, OH

saber11 to bgraham2

Premium Member

to bgraham2
DUH!!! Never thought about that, thanks

eSteve
Yoiks and Away
Premium Member
join:1999-11-08
Alexandria, VA

eSteve to Grumpy4

Premium Member

to Grumpy4
That panel tool looks like a keeper... could have used it while changing out the head unit on my stereo this weekend.

I carefully used a wide putty knife, but having the cut-out in the center of the panel tool would make it extra easy to pry around those evil plastic retaining pins.

mattmag

NW Illinois

mattmag to bgraham2

to bgraham2
said by bgraham2:

go to the local library. They usually have all of the Chilton manuals which describe all of the prceedure with pictures. My wifes Buick has one screw buried under the door trim that is accessible only after you remove the interior lamp from the door. I would have never known this if i had not read the chilton manual.
The instructions I posted are for his specific vehicle. He can save the trip to the library this time...

-Matt

saber11
Check Six
Premium Member
Clayton, OH

saber11

Premium Member

I didn't know they were for my specific car. Thanks.