uniqs
share rss forum feed

gwion
wild colonial boy
Premium,ExMod 2001-08
join:2000-12-28
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1

Introducing... Verizon Direct... our new forum.

It's my pleasure to announce the latest addition to the Verizon forum family, "Verizon Direct" - »Verizon Direct. Verizon Direct is a dedicated forum where Verizon users can get one-on-one help from a ... yes, a real... Verizon tech. This forum functions a little differently from our regular fora. It's only for the purpose of pursuing individualized technical support. Before posting, there, please acquaint yourself in detail with the forum purpose, rules and format: »Posting Rules -

First of all, threads will not be visible for browsing. That's not what the forum's for, it's for opening a private session with a support technician, which will involve discussing personal information about your account. Nor is group participation solicited... the main fora are still the place to informally discuss issues and possible solutions. Secondly, it's not a place to discuss policy issues, to complain or to suggest ideas. That, too, belongs here. The Verizon representatives in the new forum are technicians, not managers or policy makers.

When you post, your post will be read by a Verizon support technician, who will be the only person responding to you in the thread. You will be the only person responding to them. It will amount to a genuine, private, one on one discussion of your issue. For more information and detailed instructions for getting help in the new forum, I strongly suggest reading the forum rules, and browsing the mainpage.

I'm also pleased to welcome the new members from Verizon, who'll be assisting us in Verizon Direct. I wish them... and you... all the best. Their presence is deeply appreciated, and helps round out our solutions-oriented theme, by providing a forum for resolution of those issues we just can't tackle in the forum. It's all yours, now... the gangway's down, and Verizon Direct is open for business.
--
Semper Eadem

Sir, I have been through it from Alpha to Omaha, and I tell you that the less a man knows the bigger the noise he makes and the higher the salary he commands.
- Twain, "How I Edited an Agricultural Paper," 1870

JohnA
Premium
join:2003-09-16
Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Introducing... Verizon Direct... our new forum

Excellent idea! People are always hesitant to provide the private info required for these techs to obtain specific information and possible solutions to their problems. Is there any specific guidance on the particular issues or types of issues best referred to »Verizon Direct

BBR_InsUW
NF or CoH thats my Game
Premium,Mod
join:2000-04-22
La Mesa, CA

1 edit
said by JohnA:

Excellent idea! People are always hesitant to provide the private info required for these techs to obtain specific information and possible solutions to their problems. Is there any specific guidance on the particular issues or types of issues best referred to »Verizon Direct
The best thing to do is to use the Public forum for everything, EXCEPT where you are going to exchange private info that is needed to the tech for an INDIVIDUAL issue or Problem
--
[BBR]Clan Leader

TWL Admin

AA BETA TESTER

anyonethere2006

@ny5030.east.verizon.
reply to gwion

Re: Introducing... Verizon Direct... our new forum.

This IS simply put GREAT NEWS!!!!

altermatt
Premium
join:2004-01-22
White Plains, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to gwion
A great idea with one caveat: it would be very helpful if a synopsis of the problem AND the eventual solution were posted here by the OP once the issue is resolved. We learn a great deal from seeing others' issues, which often aren't as unique as we think . There would probably be a few issues that are so specific to one account that they are not of use or interest, but I think overall, it would be great to share info. (And cut down on the repeat questions as well!).
--
The truth of a thing is the feel of it, not the think of it. -- Stanley Kubrick

cobo6

join:2002-02-18
Willingboro, NJ
reply to gwion

This is a good idea, it beat the waiting on the phone. I wish i saw this yesterday, but the wait time on the phone wasn't long in the morning. (like 5 mins or less)

dsldan

join:2001-11-06
Forest Hills, NY
reply to gwion

Y'know, it's funny, 'cause whenever a Verizon tech would tell me something that's so blatantly, outrageously WRONG, I would say in frustration, "Have you heard of the Verizon forum at dslreports.com? Well, I've seen posts there ..."

Well it's great to know that not only have they heard about the forum... they are actually using it!!!

Kudos to everyone involved in setting this up. Great job!

gwion
wild colonial boy
Premium,ExMod 2001-08
Pittsburgh, PA

1 recommendation

reply to gwion

A few housekeeping remarks. First, the policy for the Direct forum is going to have to be that, once you post, nothing will move outside of the forum into a public forum without your permission. The simplest approach is to start a new thread in the public forum, I think. In a complimentary sense, that gave me pause to think of something else, and I think it better if we as hosts move nothing into the direct forum, either, without permission. Again, in most cases, it's best to start a new thread in Direct, I think. While you can't refer to a thread in VZ Direct in a public post, you can always post a reference back to a public thread, if you think it can help the techs deal with your issue.

I think these simple policies will help maintain the integrity of this system, overall.

Now, one other housekeeping matter. VZ Direct is decidedly not the place for asking questions about deployment, or, as it's come to be known, informally, around here, "researching a cure for mad FIOS disease"... nor should it be used for general questions. Please, again, read the instructions carefully before using the Direct forum for the first time. Most general questions still belong here, where they can be of use to everybody. Remember, the support personnel are just that, support personnel, not policy makers or corporate management. They don't have any "secret lists" we can't get hold of that list neighborhoods and streets and dates for FIOS or anything like that. Check the Google map, search the forum, and check your telephone number at »www.verizon.com/ if you're wondering... and visit the news center, there, it's very well managed and easy to use, and contains a lot of releases that directly answer some of our general deployment questions... and that's info that we all like sharing, so -- wink, hint... if you find anything really useful, regarding deployment and all, you might even want to give us a link in forum news ...

I think the easiest way we can describe the forum is to say "think of it as a call to tech support". If it's not something you would consider dialing the 800 number for, it's probably not something that belongs in the Direct forum... if it's not something you need to share your user info to work towards a solution of, it probably doesn't belong in Direct...

One of the problems in asking general questions in the direct forum is that, aside from the fact that the rest of us don't get the benefit of the discussion, we would be taking up the time of a tech to regurgitate something we can find out, ourselves, asking the same questions over and over, since nobody sees anybody else asking, while all the while people with real issues that need the attention of a tech sit waiting while the people who can help are occupied with general questions that still belong in our mainstream fora. Hopefully, that's understandable...
--
Semper Eadem

Sir, I have been through it from Alpha to Omaha, and I tell you that the less a man knows the bigger the noise he makes and the higher the salary he commands.
- Twain, "How I Edited an Agricultural Paper," 1870

Aria73
Rapier Wit
Premium,Mod
join:2001-07-04
Berthoud, CO
reply to gwion
Wonderful! I never thought I'd see this happen. I'm glad I did though.
--
If God dropped acid, would She see people?

lgkahn
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Londonderry, NH
reply to gwion

whtat is the point of making these postings visible.. if you cannot read them they are a waste of time and should not be visible to the general public

Insder
There never was a second I in my name
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Salem, MA

They're not public, you can't read the posts.

gwion
wild colonial boy
Premium,ExMod 2001-08
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to gwion
... and they'll never be, so it isn't even open for discussion. It's for technical support, and you need to know your personal info isn't publicly readable if you're going to get technical support... you're always free to post about your problem, here. There's one and only one function in the direct forum, and that's technical support...

Perhaps you would prefer to post your telephone number or logon info into the general forum??? That's what it's all about. User interactive support is still handled here... sans personal information. Think of it as an "at your convenience" way of "calling tech support", and being able to work in a forum environment, instead of on the telephone.

-- FYI, too, and to reiterate a good observation posted by a user in the FIOS forum, speed upgrades are handled by billing, not by tech support, so you will still have to call if your requesting a package upgrade... again, FYI...
--
Semper Eadem

In the middle of the journey of our life I came to myself in a dark wood where the straight way was lost...
Dante, Inferno, Canto I

mb

join:2000-07-23
Washington, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to gwion
said by gwion:

I think the easiest way we can describe the forum is to say "think of it as a call to tech support". If it's not something you would consider dialing the 800 number for, it's probably not something that belongs in the Direct forum... if it's not something you need to share your user info to work towards a solution of, it probably doesn't belong in Direct...

Why not just call in then? Don't get me wrong, I'm an original member here and have seen first hand how dslreports and this forum have matured over 6 years, but I don't understand the benefit of a "forum" that is not a forum...
--
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security" Benjamin Franklin

Insder
Premium
Salem, MA
Because often times when you call you get a Level 1 Tech that is scripted to tell you it's your problem. When you go to Verizon Direct I assume you have computer knowledgeable techs who will try and fix it instead of placing blame.
--
The one, the only, the Insder. :: Verizon Online DSL (2793/719) and Deer Alpha Firefox!

mb

join:2000-07-23
Washington, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL
said by Insder:

I assume you have computer knowledgeable techs who will try and fix it instead of placing blame.
If your assumption is correct, it is a worthwhile venture. The last issue that I had that required high level technical intervention to resolve was dealt with by an individual who was part of a very small group of techs. He explained that there were a dozen or so people in his group and they were ultimately responsible for millions of customers. Consequently, they were not easy to get access to. He had direct access to an MCO engineer who manually programmed my card in the ASAM at the CO in real time and rectified the issue. In this case the card was mis-configured for ADSL2+ and that caused the automated system that completes the install to repeatedly reject the job. Bottom line is that it is a good thing to have access to higher level techs!
--
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security" Benjamin Franklin

Insder
Premium
Salem, MA
Let's hope some of these techs are computer saavy then.

JFitch
Premium
join:2001-03-21
Pineville, WV
reply to gwion
I had a very good experience with the tech that handled my forum post. She was very professional, courteous, and knowledgeable. Her name is VZ_TanyaR. She is the best Verizon tech I have ever had the pleasure of working with on an issue.

steve6966

join:2000-06-08
Mahopac, NY
I had the misfortune of chatting with techs the past 2 days before realizing I needed to ask for a BBR agent. The techs the past 2 days pretty much said sorry can't help.. the second one I think was downright rude.

Today, after asking for the BBR agent, I spoke with VZ_DebbieH. All I can say is WOW!! Courteous, professional, knowledgeable and even took the time to teach me a few things. Kudos!! on the new service. I'll never call regular tech support for anything again.

devicenull
Premium
join:2002-12-01
Old Bridge, NJ
reply to mb
There's already a SBC Direct forum, which has helped me with my DSL so many timse

It is honestly the only way I would ever consider getting tech support for SBC, so it's nice to see other providers following along

jap
Premium
join:2003-08-10
038xx
reply to gwion

Well now this is a cool service.

I'm browsing the VZ forums as I just ordered 3000/768 today. And a voice line. This direct access to tier-2 VZ techs is a great thing. Going through any ISP's tier-1 hurts the brain.

I'm looking forward to having a VZ connection.

Kerrith
Kerry

join:2003-04-18
Pahoa, HI
reply to gwion
I'd like to see a rule stating that all comments about poor and good service from Verizon Direct include the name of the tech. "They said..." and "They wouldn't..." and, "the Verizon tech told me..." doesn't help the rest of us much because the feedback doesn't get back to his/her supervisor. It supports complete, accurate, and courteous service for a tech to know that we'll include his/her name in our feedback.

I would like to have seen Verizon set up their own forum, now that would be super cool genuine service. It would impress me greatly. Seems like using BR.com as a portal will only increase the load here and slow down things a bit.

Kerry

Hel
Goddess Of My Own Little Universe
Premium
join:2002-04-11
Washington, DC
reply to gwion
I was helped by Debbie H and Karen P, and both were very knowledgable and helpful. I MUCH prefer this method of resolving issues over calling in.
--
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag, carrying a cross."-Sinclair Lewis 1885-1951

alex6500

join:2006-03-31
Newport News, VA
reply to gwion
How do I post if I am only a customer who is still waiting for Verizon DSL to activate my dsl phone line?I am not
connected to dsl,yet, and have not been able to set up an account until my phone line is dsl activated.

Jodokast96
Stupid people really piss me off.
Premium
join:2005-11-23
Erial, NJ
kudos:2
Verizon pretty much won't offer support until it is activated.

Dennis C

@sprint-hsd.net
reply to alex6500
If you don't have the service yet, what possible question could you ask? Once DSL has been provisioned onto your line, don't worry, you'll have questions.

bevross

join:2004-09-10
College Park, MD
reply to mb

said by Insder:
... The last issue that I had that required high level technical intervention to resolve was dealt with by an individual who was part of a very small group of techs ...
Doesn't mean VZ Direct people have that level of knowledge? I still think it's a waste not to let other people see responses (with provisions to let some info be private).

Insder
Premium
Salem, MA
For some reason your quote came out wrong, I believe mb See Profile said that. The reason is that numbers are exchanged often, and it's for the user's privacy.
--
The one, the only, the Insder. :: Verizon Online DSL (2793/719) and Deer Alpha Firefox!

gwion
wild colonial boy
Premium,ExMod 2001-08
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to gwion

No, the forum will remain, as it is, for the reasons outlined in the post in »Introducing... Verizon Direct... our new forum. (FIOS posting) --- as stated there, it's perhaps time these threads closed, having served their useful purpose of introducing the forum?
--
Semper Eadem
--

the violets in the mountains have broken the rocks.