All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
morden
join:2005-06-13
Montreal, QC

morden

HD Superbowl: Simsub in effect

As of 3:13 PM, Videotron is substituting GlobalHD over ABC HD on channel 651.

Last year, the Superbowl was not substituted on Videotron. My understanding is that Videotron is not permitted to substitute HD channels because neither CTV nor Global have local HD transmitters.

Furthermore, the quality of the broadcast seems much worse on GlobalHD so far. Compared to ABCHD's coverage during the season, it's far worse. The yard lines on the field look "jagged". Perhaps this is because GlobalHD is converting the original 720p signal to 1080i, and we're losing quality in the process.

I heard on another forum that ABD HD from Buffalo is having problems with their HD transmitter. So this may be temporary. But it's a little too coincidental for my tastes.

I urge all of those who are dissastisfied with the PQ on GlobalHD call and complain the Videotron. I'm currently on hold. If we have any insiders on the forum, perhaps you could shed some light on the situation.

Gosimsub
@sympatico.ca

Gosimsub

Anon

I, for one, am ecstatic. I just can't get enough of those "ET Canada" commercials.

joeblow22
@151-200-24.mc.videot

joeblow22 to morden

Anon

to morden
those fu**ers videotoudecul. they just HAD to piss me off today. Well, I've had it. Cancelling my 200$+ month account with them and screw them and their simsub. Gonna take BEV. Simsubed also, but more HD selection.
smag
join:2004-11-11
Laval

smag to morden

to morden
WTF?? I think I'll give them a call as well...

joeblow22
@151-200-24.mc.videot

joeblow22 to morden

Anon

to morden
yeah, well.. everybone says they'll call videotron and complain.. but no one actually does.

ColdShuts
Cold As Ice
Premium Member
join:2005-08-30
Saint-Hubert, QC

ColdShuts to morden

Premium Member

to morden
said by morden:

My understanding is that Videotron is not permitted to substitute HD channels because neither CTV nor Global have local HD transmitters.
They are not only allowed, but they are obligated to substiture because Global has an HD signal broadcasting the superbowl.

It should be the same thing with BEV. The only way to get american ads is to get channel 420, wich is ABC Seattle.
smag
join:2004-11-11
Laval

smag to morden

to morden
I did call joeblow22. They gave me the speech that the CRTC blahblahblah.... Funny how there has been no substitution until today. The rep also told me that there was an internal communication at videotron confirming that there would be substitions about a week ago. The only way to get the commercials and not the ET Canada and Canadiantire commercials is to pay for channel 420, not in HD... Sounds like a scam to make more money to me. Hope no one subscribes to channel 420 today...
morden
Montreal, QC

morden

I called too. Got the same speech.

I understand that they have to follow regulations, but if anyone has seen ABC's picture quality during the season, they would clearly see that Global's signal is much inferior.

AnonReply
@49-80-70.mc.videotro

AnonReply

Anon

Really, really, really dumbass to call Videotron to complain about a federal law.

Nothing more interesting to do, like calling CRTC and filling complaint ont the CRTC website. It's the only way to change the law. Videotron can't change the law, this is a company, not the governement morons.

CRTC link about Super Bowl sub :
»www.crtc.gc.ca/frn/NEWS/ ··· 0123.htm

ColdShuts
Cold As Ice
Premium Member
Saint-Hubert, QC

ColdShuts

Premium Member

said by AnonReply :

Really, really, really dumbass to call Videotron to complain about a federal law.

Nothing more interesting to do, like calling CRTC and filling complaint ont the CRTC website. It's the only way to change the law. Videotron can't change the law, this is a company, not the governement morons.

CRTC link about Super Bowl sub :
»www.crtc.gc.ca/frn/NEWS/ ··· 0123.htm
Quoted For Truth. I second you 100%.
morden
Montreal, QC

1 edit

morden

I understand the law, and I'm not complaining about the law.

In very plain terms: Global's HD signal look MUCH WORSE than ABC HD's signal. This is why I'm angry.

As for the commercials, just tune to ABC Seattle on 420. It's not being substituted.

But I'm really upset that my government is making me watch a much worse signal.

PKP - HQ
@82-82-70.mc.videotro

PKP - HQ to ColdShuts

Anon

to ColdShuts
Pourquoi alors mon cher ami ColdShuts qui connait tout!!!

l'an dernier il n'y a pas eu de substitutions et global a diffusé le super-bowl. ??? et Fox n'a pas été substituer ??

Réponce franche et honnête serait la bienvenue.

Merci

ColdShuts
Cold As Ice
Premium Member
Saint-Hubert, QC

ColdShuts

Premium Member

Tout simplement parce que Global diffusait le SuperBowl en SD et Fox en HD...!

En Enfer
This account has been compromised
join:2003-07-25
Montreal, QC

En Enfer to morden

to morden
Something that the canadian industry is doing that is completely dumb, is that they won't hesitate to put on commercials during the year to dissuade you to steal signal, and pass a law to disallow you to use free-to-air satellites...

... then the next thing the channel-already-abusing-simulcast-events does is to dump the "we won't touch HD for now" principle and fool you by simulcasting one of the most popular event of the year, turning your 5000$ investment for an HD TV set for this one yearly event USELESS... unless you go grey-market.

Both Global and the CRTC needs to wake up and figure out that commercials ARE part of the SuperBowl, don't touch it and stop ruining an event like this.

Idiots. A lot of work, persuation campaign and money flushed down the toilet in one day.

Samus Aran
Premium Member
join:2005-10-18
St-Hubert

Samus Aran

Premium Member

well I think you're the idiot if you bought a 5000$ TV just to watch the Superbowl...
morden
Montreal, QC

morden

I want to point out my objection isn't based on not being able to see the American ads (I flipped over to ABC Seattle during the commercials), but the fact that the Global HD picture was clearly inferior from what I've come to expect from ABC's HD football broadcasts.

Did anyone else notice that the picture was "cropped" at the top and right sides?

Videotron was compelled to follow CRTC regulations. But the CRTC regulations require that the signal which is substituted is equal in quality, which wasn't the case.

Videotron also indicated that ALL providers had to follow the same rules, but I checked with some HD StarChoice owners and they didn't see any substitutions.

Videotron lies.... again.

Mikemnm
Michael Extreme User
Premium Member
join:2003-10-05
Laval, QC

Mikemnm to morden

Premium Member

to morden
bon bien vue quil y a beaucoups de monde qui veulent les pub du superbowl les voila »video.google.com/superbowl.html malheureusement il y a 2 ou 3 quil ne sont pas disponible au canada comme selui de coke mais bon amuser vous :P le link est poster sur le forum deja mais pas en francias donc je le poste icit aucas quil y ait du monde qui non pas chercher sur le rest du forum

TurboLed
@sympatico.ca

TurboLed to morden

Anon

to morden
Recently, CRTC asked Videotron to stop any substitution of signals with non-local channels. That means CFCF and CJNT may not be used for substitution outside of Montreal, and CKMI may not be used outside of Québec, Montreal, Sherbrooke and surroundings. I don't think CKMI is an HD transmitter, so why could Videotron use another Global station for substituing Fox HD? That's against CRTC's rules so you should file a complaint to the CRTC as well.
bond787
join:2002-06-25
Guy

bond787 to Samus Aran

to Samus Aran
Well said mr_plow_king

Worst then paying $5,000.00 for HD is using it with Videotron only a idiot can do that

ColdShuts
Cold As Ice
Premium Member
Saint-Hubert, QC

ColdShuts to Mikemnm

Premium Member

to Mikemnm
said by Mikemnm:

bon bien vue quil y a beaucoups de monde qui veulent les pub du superbowl les voila »video.google.com/superbowl.html malheureusement il y a 2 ou 3 quil ne sont pas disponible au canada comme selui de coke mais bon amuser vous :P le link est poster sur le forum deja mais pas en francias donc je le poste icit aucas quil y ait du monde qui non pas chercher sur le rest du forum
Merci, j'viens de voir la série de pub, et c'était juste trop marrant!! Surtout les pubs de Bud hahahahahaha

/bow to the fridg.
ColdShuts

ColdShuts to bond787

Premium Member

to bond787
said by bond787:

Well said mr_plow_king

Worst then paying $5,000.00 for HD is using it with Videotron only a idiot can do that
Paying 5 grands for a TV is, imho, being retarded. I can see all the same movies and TV Shows on my 27 inches TV. In 2-3 years, I'll buy a probably better television than your's for like 1000$.

En Enfer
This account has been compromised
join:2003-07-25
Montreal, QC

En Enfer to TurboLed

to TurboLed
said by TurboLed :

Recently, CRTC asked Videotron to stop any substitution of signals with non-local channels. That means CFCF and CJNT may not be used for substitution outside of Montreal, and CKMI may not be used outside of Québec, Montreal, Sherbrooke and surroundings.
The general rule, back in the 90's, was to use 1) local station over US station, then 2) canadian signal over the US one. Back when CFCF-12 has different programming than CJOH, they used CJOH to sim-sub over the US channels for some programs. Then when CFCF has the same prime-time shows than CJOH, they used CFCF to sim-sub over CJOH.

By the way, I mentionned the 5000$ HDTV set, that wasn't my case, but I've read in sunday's Journal De Montréal that the sales of HD sets went way up 2 weeks prior the Superbowl. You can also check any newspaper some ads trying to sell their HD sets showing a football image in the screen.

I'm sure Global's biggotery has frustrated a lot of people in one day... And those people will look in grey market satellite or other alternative for next year's event.
morden
Montreal, QC

morden

You don't need grey market, StarChoice offers a decent HD service with no substitutions.

I'm going to keep my eye on the DSR530 (HD PVR) to see if it comes down in price. I may consider switching.

It will be very interesting to see if 24 is substituted tonite. If it's not, then the Superbowl may have just been a one-time thing. We'll see.
TheGrub
join:2005-11-07
Canada

TheGrub to ColdShuts

to ColdShuts
said by coldShuts :
Paying 5 grands for a TV is, imho, being retarded. I can see all the same movies and TV Shows on my 27 inches TV. In 2-3 years, I'll buy a probably better television than your's for like 1000$.
Well thanks for calling me a retard !! And you know what... le me tell you i'm a bigger retard than you think, because all my HT gear is worth 13 000$ ! Am i retard enough for you now ?

The only reason I think i'm a retard is because i am still with videotron which gives me a crappy SD picture and low HD quality with 2.0 sound on half of them !!!

Of course you can watch the same thing on your 27in TV. The same way you can walk to work instead of taking your car !

that's a bunch of BS my friend ! Very sory to see what kind of stuff you can say about people, cause up to this point i thought that even if i did not agree 100% with what you say in here, you were a good guy...

comments54767544
@csmv.qc.ca

comments54767544 to ColdShuts

Anon

to ColdShuts
Merci, j'viens de voir la série de pub, et c'était juste trop marrant!! Surtout les pubs de Bud hahahahahaha

/bow to the fridg

TON COMMENTAIRE EST TOUJOURS HORS-SUGET COLDSHUTS.Tes incapable de suivre un topic??? Calvaire on sen sacre tu de tes commentaires.Lui il suit la ligne du suget principal.

TurboLed
@unknown

TurboLed to En Enfer

Anon

to En Enfer
said by InMontreal :
The general rule, back in the 90's, was to...
I was speaking about the 2005 rule, right here:
»www.crtc.gc.ca/archive/E ··· 5-47.htm

Yardbird
join:2001-06-07
Canada

Yardbird to morden

to morden
Morden I agree with you, I believe that the Super Bowl was a one time thing because this morning at 9am "Lives with regis & Kelly" was playing on ABCHD(651) and CTVHD(607) and the signal was not substituted.(Yankee adds on ABC and CDN ads on CTV)
I think that the reason why Videotron decided to follow the CRTC crap was to make more money by trying to get the Super Bowl (Commercials) fanatics to subscribe to their US (Seattle)time switch option and pay an extra $2.99 plus taxes a month.
I've had HD for about 3 months and I have never seen a signal switching before the Super Bowl.

ColdShuts
Cold As Ice
Premium Member
Saint-Hubert, QC

ColdShuts to TheGrub

Premium Member

to TheGrub
said by TheGrub:

Well thanks for calling me a retard !! And you know what... le me tell you i'm a bigger retard than you think, because all my HT gear is worth 13 000$ ! Am i retard enough for you now ?

The only reason I think i'm a retard is because i am still with videotron which gives me a crappy SD picture and low HD quality with 2.0 sound on half of them !!!

Of course you can watch the same thing on your 27in TV. The same way you can walk to work instead of taking your car !

that's a bunch of BS my friend ! Very sory to see what kind of stuff you can say about people, cause up to this point i thought that even if i did not agree 100% with what you say in here, you were a good guy...
Oh well, sorry to offense you, I also have a friend with an HD television, and I keep calling him a retard for buying this, and he's still my friend.

I mean, yeah it's cool to have a big screen, think big sti! I really enjoyed my experiments with HD Television, even though it could have been better if Videotron would have less compression, but... is it cool enough to pay 5000$ for this? I'm not very rich because I do a job I really like, I don't get the big salary so I guess I could use that 5000$ for something else, like a payment on a brand new car, wich could be a lot more usefull than a television.

I'm sorry for calling you guys retards, I didn't weight the words I was using before posting. I understand it must be frustrating to invest big money than get crappy image in return but hey, aren't you guys early adopters? Aren't you guys the beta testers for the television?

Let's compare this to VCR and DVD. Like 5 years ago, you bought a DVD-reader for like 500-1000$, you went to the video store and you had the choice between 10 movies in DVD and 10 000 in VHS. Were you guys complaining to the clerk about this or were you like "I guess more will come soon!"?

videotron
@205.237.x.x

videotron to ColdShuts

Anon

to ColdShuts
Moi hier j'ai regardé le superbowl au canal 420 et tout était parfait ! Je suis content d'avoir payé mon 2.99 $ de plus par mois. Aussi, ma blonde a StarChoice et il n'y avait aucune substitution de signal sur ABC détroit en SD...donc toute les pubs !
cizor
join:2005-10-31
Laval, QC

cizor to ColdShuts

to ColdShuts
Ya tu quelqu'un qui peut fermer la trappe a ce con de ColdShuts ?? Ca fait un bout que je te lis et au debut je te croyais vraiment connaisseur et desireux d'aider les autres membres ici .. mais avec ton commentaires sur ceux qui ont le HD me prouvent que tu parle au travers ton chapeau. Si tu es trop gratteux ou trop pauvre pour t'acheter un ecran geant, tu devrais garder tes commentaires debiles pour toi.

Je sais pertinement que tu travail pour videotron mais que tu dis ici que tu n'y travail pas, question de ne pas te faire trop achaler. Tu devrais sincerement arreter de venir ici et te concentrer sur ton travail. C'est a cause de personne comme toi qui fais que cette compagnie est autant detesté par les initiés ..

Ce que TheGrub a ecrit je l'approuve a 100%.

Je ne sais pas ce qui se passe avec ce forum mais en deux mois c'est devenu l'anarchie...Autrefois une reference, maintenant une risée.. Bravo ColdShuts ...