DSLrgm
Premium Member
join:2002-08-22
Oak Park, MI

1 edit

DSLrgm

Premium Member

Setting passwords on probably any PAP2 firmware

I have in my greedy hands a rather detailed doc on the PAP2 that I pulled down from the net...

From it I have learned a LOT about the PAP2 (and probably other Linksys VoIP) device config.

First the xml file starts and ends with
<flat-profile>
</flat-profile>

Next ANY variable can be set.

Variable names are case sensitive and characters other than hyphen, period, underscore, or alpha-numeric are replaced with the underscore. Also it appears that if the GUI label appears both for User 1/2 or Line 1/2 then append to the name _n_ So SIP Port becomes SIP_Port_1_ and SIP_Port_2_

Now the first step everyone has is to clean up the passwords, user and admin.

So we quickly get a file that looks like:

<flat-profile>
<User_Password>1234</User_Password>
<Admin_Password>5678</Admin_Password>
</flat-profile>

Also a value that contains

(GPP_E = "$D";)! [--key $K] tftp://ls.tftp.vonage.net:$P/$D/spaxxxxxxxxxxx.xml 

Obviously you want to change this!

XMLmind is a free, easy to use XML editor to create complex xml files (or simple ones!).

I hope this is informative.
jmcgeejr
join:2000-05-15
Kirkland, WA

jmcgeejr

so are you saying this will permantly fix the vonage pap2s?
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

Re: Setting passwords on probably any PAP2 firmwar

said by jmcgeejr:

so are you saying this will permantly fix the vonage pap2s?
Not a chance! OTOH, this information isn't new, read this. Probably, the OP just managed to open up his eyes to see/read the PAP2 Admin Guide that has been laid around since before the unlocking guide was published on 9/26/2005!
DSLrgm
Premium Member
Oak Park, MI

DSLrgm

Premium Member

No.

I just started working with PAP2s a couple of weeks ago, and have begun accumulating lots of information about them.

The link you give is good for covering the provisioning aspect once you take control of your PAP2. But not how to get the admin password to start the unlocking.

I would like to find the time and start putting together some good, organized information on the voip-info.org wiki,,,,

We have threads and threads on this stuff but no solid source of info. Organized by initial firmware version and if it was attached, maybe.

How to snoop out the provisioning and set the passwords as I show here.

How to get a clean 3.1.6 firmware, then how to provision it yourself...
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

This is an excellent work. Be sure to read this post on How to Provision Your Own PAP2.
DSLrgm
Premium Member
Oak Park, MI

DSLrgm

Premium Member

said by mazilo:

This is an excellent work. Be sure to read this post on How to Provision Your Own PAP2.
This was one of the posts that 'taught' me how to set the admin password to something I knew.

There is lots to do. Is tftp the way to go? It IS an efficient protocol for small files (and still used extensively for large firmware files).

Or ftp or http? These are a bit more secure. And AAH has an ftp server already set up for polycom and some other phones.

rcilink
Premium Member
join:2003-12-15
Manchester, NH

rcilink

Premium Member

Similar to the PAP2 admin guide, I use the HTTP approach over TFTP. HTTP is more secure than me opening-up a TFTP server.

I guess the difference is whether you will be provisioning PAP2s on the network (public Internet) or if you will be only working inside your firewall.. If only inside, security is not that critical for your provisioning server.

Anyhow, looking forward to a concise, accurate guide for the PAP2 project. Someone someplace did start a wiki, dedicated to the PAP2. (maybe a google search for PAP2 WIKI UNLOCK would find it? )
DSLrgm
Premium Member
Oak Park, MI

DSLrgm

Premium Member

It was pointed out to me that:

I have a syntax error on .

At some firmware release, it seems that a cleartext xml file is ignored by the pap2.

I was told higher than 2.0.10(a). But the one I just did was 2.0.12 - something (maybe I can find my note on what).

I am leaving for RSA conference in a few hours. I suspect there will be someone there to ask..
DSLrgm

DSLrgm

Premium Member

Version correction.

I finally found my notes. I started at 2.0.9 (LSd).

I see where I got the 2.0.12, it was a copy of some instructions from another post.

Big appology from over here at Detroit Metro Airport on my way west...

Just trying to get too much done too fast.
rizzo2dial
Premium Member
join:2004-08-05

rizzo2dial

Premium Member

Do you have a copy of the 2.0.9(LSd) firmware file? (This specific version of firmware is well known to support PLAIN TEXT XML files).

Rizzo
DSLrgm
Premium Member
Oak Park, MI

DSLrgm

Premium Member

said by rizzo2dial:

Do you have a copy of the 2.0.9(LSd) firmware file? (This specific version of firmware is well known to support PLAIN TEXT XML files).
How would I have gotten it?

I opened the box my brother-in-law handed me (factory sealed) and the IRV reported 2.0.9 and the web page was 2.0.9 (LSd).

I have yet to read how to upload anything.

If I faked Vonage out the right way, would they download to me the 2.0.9 firmware? If so, give me the magic command and you will get the firmware.

BTW, I have started my documentation. I have downloaded FreeMind and putting everything together there. I once used "The Brain" and this is just like it. It is allowing me to organize everything.
rizzo2dial
Premium Member
join:2004-08-05

rizzo2dial

Premium Member

said by DSLrgm:

I opened the box my brother-in-law handed me (factory sealed) and the IRV reported 2.0.9 and the web page was 2.0.9 (LSd).
Thanks for clarifying.
said by DSLrgm:

If I faked Vonage out the right way, would they download to me the 2.0.9 firmware? If so, give me the magic command and you will get the firmware.
Back when I extensively searched for it, I was unable to find any links to the PAP2 2.0.9(LSd) firwmare file. I've even tried URL manipulation @ Vonage's firmware sites w/o success. I'm unaware of any "magic command(s)" enabling exporting of existing PAP2 firmware to a file.

Rizzo