site

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

[TWC] RoadRunner Premium slow in Raleigh?

So, we just moved to North Raleigh (off Durant) and I decided we'd try RR Premium (along with digital phone). So far I haven't noticed much (if any) speed improvements.

I work out of the house so I was hoping it would make my life easier (do a lot of web development) but so far I'm completely unimpressed.

I've tried multiple online "speed tests" and it comes in around 6MB/s down (haven't found a good one to test uploads).

Unless someone has some recommendations I'll probably go back to RR Standard and do some pricing on DSL etc... this is ridiculous!

Anyone else in the triangle have a better experience with RR Premium?

If anyone is curious here's some details:

Motorola SurfBoard SBV5220 Modem

Logged into modem:
username: admin
password: motorola

Signal to Noise Ratio: 34 dB
Downstream Power Level: -7 dBmV
Upstream Power Level: 54 dBmV
Total Unerrored Codewords: -695713694
Total Correctable Codewords: 853
Total Uncorrectable Codewords: 0

There is an entry in the "interface" for:
RF Downstream Interface, TI TNETC4401 with "Speed" set at 42.884 - is this the cap when I upload?

scots
Are we there yet??
Premium
join:1999-12-06
Fuquay Varina, NC
kudos:1
reply to jdb in raleigh

Have you called Time Warner about this? You didn't mention anything about calling them, so was just wondering. There could be something wrong that they need to fix.

abward

join:2004-07-14
Cary, NC

1 edit
reply to jdb in raleigh

Here are my values, in Cary, from a SB5200, in case that helps (I don't know what they mean):

Frequency 609000000 Hz Locked
Signal to Noise Ratio 33 dB
Power Level 9 dBmV

Channel ID 2
Frequency 33008000 Hz Ranged

Power Level 46 dBmV

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC
kudos:12

said by abward:

Here are my values, in Cary, from a SB5200, in case that helps (I don't know what they mean):

Signal to Noise Ratio 33 dB
Power Level 9 dBmV

Channel ID 2

Power Level 46 dBmV
The frequency is directly translatable into your speed, but your numbers are strange.

It looks like you have a little over 6Mbit down and only 330Kbit up.

Very strange.

crazy_catz

join:2006-01-13
Clayton, NC

3 edits
reply to abward

We are in Clayton with Premium and my speed test today was 7455/476 kbps. We've had our service since the 11th of this month and it stays right on target.

We've only had some signal issues with our digital cable and TWC tested our line all day and found the problem. Seems the guys that bury the cable caused a short in our cable box outside and we could not receive a good signal. TWC had a tech out here that day, twice and he even followed up with phone calls to ensure our service was working.
--
~WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above, as apparently my cat has learned how to type~

reply to jdb in raleigh

wow - thanks for all the responses guys... I'm definately going to call them in the morning and have someone check it out... It sounds like Premium around the triangle has been pretty reliable for some.

I've got it going through a netgear router with some other things on the network too - I'll plug in directly to the modem and do some more checking before tomorrow.

(I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseum elsewhere but...) do you guys have any favorite speed test sites? I've been checking »www.aroundtownnc.com/speedtest.cfm and fluctuate between 4 and 5.5Mbps. It doesn't have an upload test though...

Thanks again!

DannyZ
Gentoo Fanboy
Premium
join:2003-01-29
Erie, PA
reply to Matt3

said by Matt3:

The frequency is directly translatable into your speed
um, no?

Frequency has nothing at all to do with what your caps are. It's the part of the rf spectrum the modem is using to communicate to the CMTS. After connecting on those frequencies, the modem downloads a config file, which sets the caps.

crazy_catz

join:2006-01-13
Clayton, NC
reply to jdb in raleigh 3

I use aroundtown and it's right on the money for us. I also use netaccess here at DSL reports. It also is very reliable for testing and the numbers are right there with aroundtown for our speed. »/stest
--
~WARNING: I cannot be held responsible for the above, as apparently my cat has learned how to type~

BBACIS
Premium
join:2002-11-23
Raleigh, NC
reply to jdb in raleigh

PM me with the last 6 characters of your HFC MAC ID and I'll give you a better idea of whats going on with your connection.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
Jamestown, NC
reply to DannyZ

said by DannyZ:

said by Matt3:

The frequency is directly translatable into your speed
um, no?

Frequency has nothing at all to do with what your caps are. It's the part of the rf spectrum the modem is using to communicate to the CMTS. After connecting on those frequencies, the modem downloads a config file, which sets the caps.
Can you please explain why my modem at home shows 5000000-something Hz downstream and 384000Hz upstream?

It's the Webstar DPX brick by Scientific Atlanta.

BBACIS
Premium
join:2002-11-23
Raleigh, NC

1 edit

1 recommendation

What your seeing is the frequency that the downstream and upstream are being carried on.

For example:
In the Raleigh Division our downstream frequency is on 609 MHz and the upstream is carried on 33 MHz. My modem is capped by a config file named xyz.bin. The config file is what determines the upload/download.

If I were to upgrade to premium service the config file would change, but the frequencies 609 MHz and 33 MHz, remain constant.

edit: In other words there are several different config files depending on modem type and the subscribed speed, but everyone in the entire Raleigh Division is on 609 MHz downstream and 33 MHz upstream.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
Jamestown, NC

said by BBACIS:

What your seeing is the frequency that the downstream and upstream are being carried on.

For example:
In the Raleigh Division our downstream frequency is on 609 MHz and the upstream is carried on 33 MHz. My modem is capped by a config file named xyz.bin. The config file is what determines the upload/download.

If I were to upgrade to premium service the config file would change, but the frequencies 609 MHz and 33 MHz, remain constant.

edit: In other words there are several different config files depending on modem type and the subscribed speed, but everyone in the entire Raleigh Division is on 609 MHz downstream and 33 MHz upstream.
Thanks! Weird, I must have mis-read the screen in my modem.

Travis299

join:2004-08-03
Cary, NC
reply to jdb in raleigh 2

FWIW, My power level was about 54dB and I was having problems so TWC came out and replaced the coax cable from the street to the cable modem with a new 2 way splitter. One side of the splitter to the cable modem and the other side to the TVs. This brought my power level down or up to 43dB and all of the problems went away.

Travis299

join:2004-08-03
Cary, NC
reply to jdb in raleigh

I forgot to add that I am using the Motorola SBV4200.

Downstream Value
Signal to Noise Ratio 37 dB
Power Level 5 dBmV The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading

Upstream Value
Channel ID 5

Power Level 43 dBmV

Speed test indicates 4.8MBPS

Rampantass

join:2003-12-11
Raleigh, NC
reply to jdb in raleigh

I use RoadRunner Premium from a location very near to Durant @ Six Forks. When i upgraded from regular service, my speed actually took a signifincant hit in speed, but TWC came right out and swapped out 4 different modems until we saw a speed increase.
This is my favorite speedtest: »www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

Last Result: (RoadRunner Premium)
Download Speed: 7645 kbps (955.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 476 kbps (59.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Fast Access and i have mended our issues, so I was offered their 6mbs service, which eneded up being a 3mb connection for this area, with no plans in the forseeable future for the upgrade to 6mbs. I save $5 a month on the service now, but see no reason to keep a 3mbs service.On the bright side, the Fast Access DSL does provide a static ip if requested (and repeated follow ups).
Last Result: (Fast Access DSL Extreme 3.0)
Download Speed: 2916kbps (364.5KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 278 kbps (34.8 KB/sec transfer rate)