MVM
join:2001-06-10
Orland Park, IL

1 edit

cookeys

MVM

Speedstream 4100 question

Hi,

Question about this modem. I'm trying it out right now. The description on the Best Buy website says: "Concurrent NAT and NAPT".

Yet I can't find anything in the setup regarding this. Also, the setup page looks nothing like the document at: »kb.efficient.com/utility ··· rid=5226

Is there something I need to do to get this to work as advertised?

Edit: It also says "Configurable ICSA-compliant Stateful Inspection Firewall with Denial of Service (DOS) protection for secure communication and Internet access"

I see no SPI at all.

Thanks

RadioDoc

join:2000-05-11
La Grange, IL

RadioDoc

Methinks they've confused the docs for the 4200 with what's in the box...

The 4200 is a nifty unit that does bunches of things. I have one myself.

cookeys
MVM
Orland Park, IL

cookeys

MVM

And the 4100 is a non-nifty unit that does nothing??

RadioDoc

join:2000-05-11
La Grange, IL

RadioDoc

It doesn't have the firewall and other stuff it, and isn't a router. Basically it's a 5100b.

cookeys
MVM
Orland Park, IL

cookeys

MVM

said by RadioDoc:

It doesn't have the firewall and other stuff it, and isn't a router. Basically it's a 5100b.
Damn Best Buy. I'm sick of them. This is the second thing that I've bought there that they've lied about...
cookeys

cookeys

MVM

Circuit city is selling the exact same thing, and this is what they have listed...

Siemens SpeedStream® Modem (4100)

Speed: Up to 24Mbps downstream and 1.5Mbps upstream in broadband service.

Connectivity: 10/100 Ethernet provides full rate LAN performance.

Security: Configurable ICSA-compliant Stateful Inspection Firewall with Denial of Service (DoS) protection provides secure communication and Internet access. Advanced security features with password authentication prevent intrusion from hackers.

Features: Concurrent NAT and NAPT, web-based management and diagnostic tools.

This modem has none of the security features they list. I can't even pass a firewall test from grc.com with this thing.
cookeys

1 edit

cookeys

MVM

Of course the cool thing is that I can run my router on it in DHCP mode, let the modem handle the PPPoE, and access the stats and my router on different IPs. That's kinda cool, I guess. I never could set up the Westell that way.

Of course I have no idea how I actually got that working. It looks like the modem is pushing the IP assigned to me from SBC to the router and the router is handling the DHCP for my network. The router has my modem set up as the DNS, but I added static DSN servers to the router.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to cookeys

MVM

to cookeys
It sounds like you folks bought the "SBC Starter Kit", not the Siemens SpeedStream 4100 Router. They look alike, but the SBC modified SS4100 only routes a single IP address, and that is in the DMZ. You can configure it as a router, sort of; but no firewall, no port forwarding, no DHCP service (except for a single IP address: 192.168.1.64).

It is best though of as a DSL Modem, not a router. It does do NAT/NAPT, but only in the basic sense of "Network Address Translation". It is closer to a bridge than a NAT router (though bridges don't do NAT).

If you don't put a username + password on the modem, it will function as a bridged modem. If you do put a password on the modem, it will function as a single-device PPPoE router. Either way, it will pass all unsolicited packets.

It will only block unsolicited packets if configured in an unsupported mode; an ad hoc LAN using static IP assignment of any IP address from 192.168.0.2 up to 192.168.255.254; except for 192.168.1.64, which will always pass unsolicited packets.

cookeys
MVM
Orland Park, IL

cookeys

MVM

said by NormanS:

It sounds like you folks bought the "SBC Starter Kit", not the Siemens SpeedStream 4100 Router. They look alike, but the SBC modified SS4100 only routes a single IP address, and that is in the DMZ. You can configure it as a router, sort of; but no firewall, no port forwarding, no DHCP service (except for a single IP address: 192.168.1.64).

It is best though of as a DSL Modem, not a router. It does do NAT/NAPT, but only in the basic sense of "Network Address Translation". It is closer to a bridge than a NAT router (though bridges don't do NAT).

If you don't put a username + password on the modem, it will function as a bridged modem. If you do put a password on the modem, it will function as a single-device PPPoE router. Either way, it will pass all unsolicited packets.

It will only block unsolicited packets if configured in an unsupported mode; an ad hoc LAN using static IP assignment of any IP address from 192.168.0.2 up to 192.168.255.254; except for 192.168.1.64, which will always pass unsolicited packets.
Yea. Thing that pi$$es me off is I bought it based on the description at BB.

Mountaineer1
Big WVU Fan
Premium Member
join:2002-01-12
Universe

Mountaineer1 to cookeys

Premium Member

to cookeys
You wanted this 12A-4100-006 »www.provantage.com/sieme ··· I053.htm ,but got this 12A-4100-506 »www.sbcdslstore.com/Cata ··· d=catMRG

cookeys
MVM
Orland Park, IL

cookeys

MVM

said by Mountaineer1:

You wanted this 12A-4100-006 »www.provantage.com/sieme ··· I053.htm ,but got this 12A-4100-506 »www.sbcdslstore.com/Cata ··· d=catMRG
Yea. And the one I wanted is actually cheaper than the one I got at BB.

Mountaineer1
Big WVU Fan
Premium Member
Universe

Mountaineer1 to cookeys

Premium Member

to cookeys
Take it back,and get a refund.Order the one you want.

cookeys
MVM
Orland Park, IL

cookeys

MVM

said by Mountaineer1:

Take it back,and get a refund.Order the one you want.
Unfortunately, it seem to be backordered everywhere I look.

Mountaineer1
Big WVU Fan
Premium Member
Universe

1 edit

Mountaineer1 to cookeys

Premium Member

to cookeys
Here's a couple of links for the 4100

»www.iunitek.com/iunitek/ ··· 11092809

»www.shopblt.com/cgi-bin/ ··· ORDERID!