Search similar:

uniqs

whendoweupgrade
@comcast.net

1 edit

whendoweupgrade

Anon

16/1 speeds comcast

anybody know how the speeds test are going in virginia? any info on when other parts of the country will get tested or start getting it.cant wait my torrents are waiting lol.:D

Continued here ---> »Unofficial Next Comcast Speed Upgrade Rumor Topic ~sorto'

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207

Premium Member

I just recently signed up with Comcast HSI 16/1 in Reston.

Here is some recent test information that I have gathered.

Generic Speed Tests:

Speakeasy Test to D.C.

TestMy.net Result

FTP Downloads:

Optimum Online 64MB Download Test

Netscape 24MB Download from FTP

Vamp
5c077
Premium Member
join:2003-01-28
MD

Vamp to whendoweupgrade

Premium Member

to whendoweupgrade
According to »/archi ··· t=Search

A lot of the eastcoast already has it in testing, unless those speed tests are just incorrect tests of the 8mb package, which it could be because the upload tests are low.

Im sure it will follow the same upgrade pattern as before, summer.

jmn1207
Premium Member
Sterling, VA

2 edits

jmn1207

Premium Member

said by Vamp:

According to »/archi ··· t=Search

A lot of the eastcoast already has it in testing, unless those speed tests are just incorrect tests of the 8mb package, which it could be because the upload tests are low.

Im sure it will follow the same upgrade pattern as before, summer.
These are not just tests from an 8MB connection. I just moved to Reston, it really is a 16/1 line. I could give the MAC address to a technician to verify my modem config file. My tested upload speeds vary a little bit but they typically stay around the low 900's or high 800's.

I use an early generation Linksys WRT54G router (Ver. 1.1) and I have an older, beat-up, used Terayon TJ 715 modem. I will be getting an Arris cable modem on Wednesday when the CDV is installed.

My line quality seems to be holding up very well.

Ping Tests:

Doctor Ping Results

Smoke Ping Test

And here is a Line Quality Test result:

»/quali ··· /1997546

gate1975mlm
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Philadelphia, PA

gate1975mlm to jmn1207

Premium Member

to jmn1207
WoW can't wait to get those speeds here in Philly!

NewLife
Just Keep Swimming, Just Keep Swimming
join:2001-07-31
Calhoun, GA

NewLife to whendoweupgrade

to whendoweupgrade
And what is the pricing for this 16/1 service? With that much bandwidth I might be able to actually run my VoIP PBX system with excellent quality.

jmn1207
Premium Member
Sterling, VA

1 edit

jmn1207

Premium Member

said by NewLife:

And what is the pricing for this 16/1 service? With that much bandwidth I might be able to actually run my VoIP PBX system with excellent quality.
I'm paying the same price as the Premier speeds. $10 more than regular speeds, or $52.95/month. The basic $42.95/month speeds in my area are 6M/768.

Edit: You would probably need something a bit more asymmetrical for your PBX system. My uploads are not that much of an improvement.

NewLife
Just Keep Swimming, Just Keep Swimming
join:2001-07-31
Calhoun, GA

NewLife

said by jmn1207:

You would probably need something a bit more asymmetrical for your PBX system. My uploads are not that much of an improvement.
Well, compared to the 384 up I get with Bellsouth right now, it would be a great improvement.
grembowski
Gadget Freak
Premium Member
join:2005-08-18
Washougal, WA

grembowski to whendoweupgrade

Premium Member

to whendoweupgrade
16/1 sounds great! I've been very please with 8/768 in Washougal, WA. Just had a tech out here to replace my DVR with a newer model (bigger hard drive), and he mentioned that the gold tier is going to 10Mb from 8.

Guess I'll just have to wait and see if it will be 10 or 16

TTFN,
Grem

jmn1207
Premium Member
Sterling, VA

jmn1207

Premium Member

Increased upload bandwidth would be far more practical than an outrageous download speed for me. I'd rather have 4/2 than 16/1. It would be a difficult choice to decide between 16/1 and 2/2 for me. It just depends on how the connection is used.

MrBradTX
join:2001-05-23
Carrollton, TX

MrBradTX to whendoweupgrade

to whendoweupgrade
Agree that standard 6000/384 service seems a little pokey when uploading 120 pictures to winkflash. I'd pay an extra $5/month for 768 up, but not the $10 currently asked.

Verizon FiOS is advertising 4000/2000 for $39/month.

Anybody know what the upstream is like on Road Runner? (I'm in an "impending swap" market.)

gate1975mlm
Premium Member
Philadelphia, PA

1 edit

gate1975mlm to jmn1207

Premium Member

to jmn1207
said by jmn1207:

Increased upload bandwidth would be far more practical than an outrageous download speed for me. I'd rather have 4/2 than 16/1. It would be a difficult choice to decide between 16/1 and 2/2 for me. It just depends on how the connection is used.
Not me more download the better!

Loose Wire
Here, Hold My Beer And Watch This
Premium Member
join:2003-04-16
Denver, CO

Loose Wire to grembowski

Premium Member

to grembowski
Click for full size
said by grembowski:

16/1 sounds great! I've been very please with 8/768 in Washougal, WA. Just had a tech out here to replace my DVR with a newer model (bigger hard drive), and he mentioned that the gold tier is going to 10Mb from 8.

Guess I'll just have to wait and see if it will be 10 or 16

TTFN,
Grem
Well, I hope it's not 10mb since I already have that.
ditka_b
Premium Member
join:2001-10-05
Barrington, IL

ditka_b to whendoweupgrade

Premium Member

to whendoweupgrade
Last Result:
Download Speed: 1765 kbps (220.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 709 kbps (88.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

Well on my 8.0/768 this is the best test this week so 16/1 I should get 300k? lol

And I want to thank comcast for having me stay home ALL DAY from work saturday and then calling me and saying I wasnt home WAY TO GO!!!!!!!
acrufox
join:2004-07-14
Fort Wayne, IN

1 edit

acrufox to jmn1207

to jmn1207
Although those speeds are nice and all, aren't things being stretched a wee bit too thin here? :P Sure just under 1 Megabit upload can handle it, but at such high speeds...there is no leeway to do anything else!

In this household for example, two gamers, one of them being myself. When I was on Comcast 3.0/384 plan, whenever I'd do some gaming and someone else was doing e-mail or sending family photos over their chat client of choice the connection choked. You'd be lucky to attain even 1 megabit speeds if someone was sending large e-mail attachments.

One can only fathom with Comcast's 3 in one plan, VOIP, Internet, and cable tv service, and offering a measly 1 Megabit outgoing? With two gamers going, DHCP overhead from downloading at those speeds, literally multi-tasking anything outgoing related, it wouldn't take much to make a 16 Megabit download drop drastically in speed to something much much lower.

Offering 16/1 is just downright silly. A roar from a lion for downloading and barely a meow from a kitten for upstream. Oh yes ::rollseyes:: if we give them 16/2 they'll run a server. Even though Comcast doesn't enforce it....that includes hosting a game server. Host a game on your computer with 8+ players, it wouldn't be long if someone else in the house was downloading a large game patch started complaining their speeds are dropping.

jmn1207
Premium Member
Sterling, VA

1 edit

jmn1207

Premium Member

A properly configured connection should not be adversely affected when uploading. At least not to the point where your connection is useless until the upload is complete. I have had 3 simultaneous uploads with large files to YouSendIt and continued to stream high quality music, browsed the internet, and even downloaded an ~8MB video file without any noticeable degradation.

Other scenarios had me sending a couple of emails with 5MB's of photos attached while talking over Skype, listening to Rhapsody Music services, and chatting in the lobby waiting for an online poker tournament to begin.

A jump from 768k to 1m may not seem too significant but it is a 33% increase in bandwidth.

As for Comcast's Digital Voice service, it operates on a completely different frequency range than the HSI and neither of them should cause any significant impact on performance on the other. At least that is what I have come to understand from reading about the technology.

I suppose I will find out for sure, today, sometime between 5pm and 8pm.

motoracer
join:2003-09-15
united state

motoracer

"When I was on Comcast 3.0/384 plan, whenever I'd do some gaming and someone else was doing e-mail or sending family photos over their chat client of choice the connection hoked."

Email sure does take up a lot of bandwidth doesn't it;):p
acrufox
Fort Wayne, IN

1 edit

acrufox to jmn1207

to jmn1207
When I was on 3/384 I could easily impact my incoming speeds. At the time I was downloading a linux distro and was topping out at 3.0 speeds, around the same time I sent a 5MB file to a friend on ICQ and watched my incoming drop from 3.0 to 1-1.5 speeds.

Now FF to today. Incoming speeds have increased over 5 fold while the outgoing has barely tripled. 3-16 speed jump is impressive yes, but in the same breath 384-1
Megabit isn't as impressive. You still have to control your outgoing and do some kind of throttling of speeds on your outgoing so you don't cut into that outgoing that cuts into the DHCP overhead that directly cuts into your incoming speed. :/

Comcast should be offering 16/2 not 16/1, that outgoing is just way too low.
IndianaPilot
Premium Member
join:2002-11-23
Connersville, IN

IndianaPilot

Premium Member

You could benifit from setting up bandwidth limits on the upload side ... That way you will have enough to go around ... Less upload speed per user but no more "choking"

BIG b
indigoblu5
join:2001-12-10
Chicago, IL

1 edit

indigoblu5 to acrufox

to acrufox
Its the nature of the technology. Perhaps with the recovery of analog spectrum, newer high performance docsis standards and signalling, and small node domains, we will see what you are looking for.

Give it a few years, as network convergence (service convergene: voice,video,data) occurs across all providers, network performance and competition will increase. Cableco's are kinda sitting on their but while teclo plays catch up... case in point: FIOS vrs HSI

Note: DHCP is an addressing protocol and has no overhead that you reference to. TCP is the overhead you might be refering to and its overhead is a semi-variable constant on any network.

Im just echoing the answer to your question that has been generally passed around this forum and the industry as a whole. I wait for syncronous connections just as egerly as you all.
acrufox
Fort Wayne, IN

acrufox

I've been dealing with Verizon so much lately. I've been on the internet for a long time....heh

They keep referring to PPPoE being better than DHCP, less packet overhead etc. Regardless of it being true or not, I would choose DHCP any day. I dislike the idea of "dialing into broadband"

Even Verizon's 15/2 plan is very lopsided. Yes we wouldn't want users sharing illegal material at the speed of light but in the same breath, it's just a matter of time/technology when one sends a copy of their mini-DVD of their grandchildren and other relatives located far away.

I had to remote assist a person on Comcast once on 384 and 768, it was so laggy/slow redraw I had to dumb down the resolution and color depth to compensate. Yet if I had to remote desktop in from work, I could do it in true color without a worry in the world.

Comcast is trying to play catch up in cities they cannot stop companies like Verizon, but in the same breath ultimately fail. Hey why would I want 16/1 or 15/1 and end up paying more long term than Verizon offers. Especially when their outgoing is twice that of Comcast.

I used to swear by Comcast, but after being treated so poorly then getting two abuse letters that by today's standards would be a drop in the bucket. One has to ask, does any HSI have a leg to stand on? Comcast can up their speeds to keep up and in the process, clog up their networks in certain cities. Then there is FTTP, which is non profitable for the short term and looks bad to investors. Then there is DSL, which is severely limited by distance to a CO or RT. All ISP's have their uncertainties, but in Comcast's case I wish they would invest more in their network than just upping the speeds and hoping for the best.
corkey0
Premium Member
join:2006-01-26
Tacoma, WA

corkey0 to whendoweupgrade

Premium Member

to whendoweupgrade
Geez, wish I could get that kind of speed!! I just coverted from Earthlink powered by Comcast (6Mbps/384Kbps) to Comcast's Game Invasion (8Mbps/768Kbps). My downloads aren't any better but my upload has gone up to 69XKbps. Interestingly, my downloads are sometimes worse than when I was on Earthlink.

salwit
join:2000-12-20
Brockport, NY

salwit to whendoweupgrade

to whendoweupgrade
im right outside of Philly PA and iv been getting these speeds since last upgrade.but i was told they are going to be raising the cap again to 15/2 by july aroung here..

See: disclaimer
Showing ZIP 19020 comcast.net
Note: no more than 3 best results from the same IP listed.

Speed
Dwn/up Claimed
ISP User @ ZIP User
Has Day
Hour
(EST) domain
12672/705 salwit @ 19020 9th 11:27AM hsd1.pa.comcast.net
12672/705 salwit @ 19020 8000/768 9th 11:28AM hsd1.pa.comcast.net
comment: 'im happy are you'
12562/705 salwit @ 19020 9th 11:25AM hsd1.pa.comcast.net
99664227 (banned)
Heavily MODerated
join:2002-11-21
USA

99664227 (banned)

said by salwit:

i was told they are going to be raising the cap again to 15/2 by july aroung here..
And your source is from who? Or can we chalk this up as another Comcast rumor?

gate1975mlm
Premium Member
Philadelphia, PA

gate1975mlm to salwit

Premium Member

to salwit
2000 up LOL sure

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

1 recommendation

Johkal to salwit

MVM

to salwit
That wouldn't make any sense dropping down to 15 meg. Logically they would make it 16/2 if anything, considering the acquisition of Adelphia with their 16/2 already in place.
chuckboyer
join:2004-10-02

chuckboyer to whendoweupgrade

to whendoweupgrade
Anyone know what the latencies are? We would sign up for their business service at 16/1 if their latencies were acceptable. Right now we are on a fixed wireless 2/2 connection.
johonn
join:2004-05-02
Warrington, PA

johonn to Johkal

to Johkal
I just found this on Digg.com. I was messing around with speed test about 3/4 weeks ago when i was geting 9.87 almost every time on the down side. I figured it to be a little wierd so i pulled my router to find i was capping at 15.?? everytime. This was through wugnet speed test. location, north of Phila, PA

Ryan L
@64.214.x.x

Ryan L to whendoweupgrade

Anon

to whendoweupgrade
What part of VA, besides Reston, have this new High Speed? Any parts of Prince William County

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA

dadkins to johonn

MVM

to johonn
Click for full size
Yowsa!
I love that test! BitTorrent anyone?