Camino

Netscape

Opera

Mozilla

Shiira

OmniWeb

Other (specify)

Participants:178

The official poll, inspired by this thread.

USAOwnz
RIP dadkins
Premium
join:2003-11-15
P.R.C.

1 edit

I tend to use Firefox, but I also use Shiira and Safari, too.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
reply to rjackson

Safari in da hizzouse.

BrushedTooth
Remember To Shop Smart Shop S Mart

join:2001-02-12
Westerville, OH
reply to rjackson

I like Safari, but have also been using the preview release of Opera 9. If that thing is as fast or faster than it is now it will become my standard browser.
--
AKA Its_Smee, I got bored with that name.

ftzsee
Premium
join:2001-11-22
reply to rjackson

I'd use Safari if Control-F behaved the way it did in Firefox and if it had something like adblock.

I voted for Firefox.

adimitri

join:2004-10-11
Oakland Gardens, NY
reply to rjackson

I would use firefox if it wasn't a piece of garbage. Memory Leaks and a UI that is not anywhere close to being Aqua Like. Mozilla needs to step up development for the mac version and pronto.

USAOwnz
RIP dadkins
Premium
join:2003-11-15
P.R.C.
reply to ftzsee

said by ftzsee:

I'd use Safari if Control-F behaved the way it did in Firefox and if it had something like adblock.

I voted for Firefox.
Safari doesn't like to work with Cmd+Enter either like firefox:(
--
Squirrelly Wrath|hitachi369 for MVM|

ahendy
Premium
join:2003-07-24
Emeryville, CA
reply to adimitri

said by adimitri:

I would use firefox if it wasn't a piece of garbage. Memory Leaks and a UI that is not anywhere close to being Aqua Like. Mozilla needs to step up development for the mac version and pronto.
That's why I like Camino. Firefox compatability, but nicer GUI.

Having said that, I spend almost all my time in Safari. It's still the fastest browser out there in my experience, especially on my new intel MacBook Pro
--
andyh.us

Mospaw
My socks don't match.
Hawaiian Jellyfish
join:2001-01-08
Mile High
kudos:1
reply to rjackson

I use (and prefer) FireFox on my PC, so I'm used to it. I also use it on my Mac. Same look and feel. Safari is a nice browser, but the JavaScript implementation has some issues.

I'm developing a site that, unfortunately, won't currently work in Safari, but works fine in IE5.5+ Windows (I personally don't care about IE, but the fact remains it's still the 800 lb. gorilla), FF on any platform, and Opera 8.5+. We made the hard decision to worry about fixing it in Safari until after roll-out.

I also like Camino, which behaves just like FF, but definitely have that Mac feel that makes me all squidgy inside.
--
Mospaw.com.
--

DrewCapu
Giant Diehard

join:2001-12-19
California
reply to rjackson

I don't know about it being the best, but I seem to still use Mozilla the most.

sporkme
drop the crantini and move it, sister
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-01
Morristown, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to Mospaw

bug
said by Mospaw:

I'm developing a site that, unfortunately, won't currently work in Safari, but works fine in IE5.5+ Windows (I personally don't care about IE, but the fact remains it's still the 800 lb. gorilla), FF on any platform, and Opera 8.5+. We made the hard decision to worry about fixing it in Safari until after roll-out.
If you don't have the "bug button" enabled, fire that up and hit it a few times a day on your dev site.

badcat

join:2000-10-18
Glastonbury, CT
reply to rjackson

I find myself using Camino more than Safari, I don't really know why. I was using Opera for awhile but got tired of it and went back to Camino / Safari. For some reason, I don't care for Firefox on a Mac, but use it on my Windoze boxes. I never really had much in the way of problems with any of the browsers except for some minor rendering issues.

FFForever

@comcast.net
reply to rjackson

The one Firefox feature that keeps me using it-

is the Tools/Clear Private Data function. With one click, you can clear cache, cookies, etc. Doing the same thing in Safari takes a LOT more clicks. And I like to do this clearing frequently, so I think the FF way is great.

Tex Longhorn
45-35
Premium,MVM
join:2001-01-05
Luckenbach
kudos:3

I see that we are allowed to vote for more than one.
--
Making the world better, one post at a time.

BellBoy
Steven Paul Jobs 1955-2011
Premium
join:2001-02-20
Los Angeles, CA
reply to rjackson

Re: [poll] Best Mac OS X Browser

Safari usually just because I've been using it so long and I'm comfortable with it. When I sometimes use Camino it really kicks it up speed-wise. Firefox I use as well when testing compatibility with my site.

gattaca
Premium
join:2003-05-28
USA
reply to rjackson

What is Unattractive About Firefox's UI?

I'm new to Mac OS X and I find myself using Camino most of the time. However, I also have Firefox installed. I personally found the icons and interface used in Firefox to be more attractive than those in Camino.

As I am new to OS X and the Aqua UI, what is it that people find unattractive about Firefox? What elements of it's design do you find to be inconsistent with Aqua? I'm not trying to start an argument - I'm truly wondering. Because when I do find myself using Firefox, and I hear people say that they don't prefer it's UI, and just don't see it.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
--
Juice Receiver
this WEEK in TECH
Charter - Sucks

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA

Firefox has their own system buttons and menus for everything. Not a huge deal--an artifact of porting from a common code platform, actually--but aesthetically annoying, nonetheless.

digital k
Premium
join:2003-12-25
reply to rjackson

There are many skins to remedy that if people would bother to look.

gattaca
Premium
join:2003-05-28
USA
reply to bobrk

Re: What is Unattractive About Firefox's UI?

Thanks for the quick reply.
I had completely forgotton about the system buttons Firefox uses, as I just fired up to about:blank to check out the UI and see what I didn't like about it. I agree, that is somewhat annoying.
--
Juice Receiver
this WEEK in TECH
Charter - Sucks

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA
reply to digital k

Why bother, though, when Safari works fine for 95% of the web sites out there? I don't have time to futz around with skins and stuff all the time.

digital k
Premium

If it works for ya, good. I was just puttin the info out there. FF is the better browser tho...by a looooooooong shot.

rjackson
Premium,VIP,MVM,Ex-Mod 2005-13
join:2002-04-02
Ringgold, GA

1 edit
reply to gattaca

Re: What is Unattractive About Firefox's UI?

said by gattaca:

As I am new to OS X and the Aqua UI, what is it that people find unattractive about Firefox? What elements of it's design do you find to be inconsistent with Aqua? I'm not trying to start an argument - I'm truly wondering. Because when I do find myself using Firefox, and I hear people say that they don't prefer it's UI, and just don't see it.
They're talking about the UI widgets that are rendered. In Safari, you get the nice, roundish aqua style buttons that appear throughout OS X.

In Firefox, you get the blocky, clunky looking ones.

Camino tries to bridge the gap by bringing the OS X native look to Gecko, but it doesn't quite get there, in my opinion.

almost native

digital k
Premium
reply to rjackson

So its all about looks, not functionality?;)

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by digital k:

So its all about looks, not functionality?;)
What "functionality" do you mean?

The reason for a Web browser's existance is to display web pages.

So yeah, it's all about looks.

I use my web browser to read things, and I want them to look halfway decent as I do so.

Quite frankly, I'm spoiled now. Crappy UI items (boxes, buttons, et al) and lousy fonts just aren't going to cut it anymore. You can thank Apple and OS X for that.

digital k
Premium
reply to rjackson

Good lord it was just a joke.

KCrimson
Premium
join:2001-02-25
Brooklyn, NY
reply to rjackson

As someone pointed out about a month or so ago (the last time a thread like this appeared in ATM!), Firefox appears to have some type of memory leak which keeps the processor tied up while clicking links. He demonstrated how keeping a mouse button clicked will eat up 100% of your CPU cycles until released, something he attributed to a fundamental error in programing. Is this still the case with the latest builds of Firefox for OSX, and is it really a fundamental flaw?

Ryan 21
Premium
join:2002-11-24
Canada
reply to rjackson

Safari. Firefox as a back up that I use maybe once every 3 months.
--
---Ryan

xmrocks
Premium,MVM
join:2003-09-23
reply to rjackson

Safari - it just completes the whole OS look and feel. Firefox is a bit too port-looking and the square buttons, slow usage, and some other factors just push me away from it.

Sure, it's a good browser, but it needs some more help before I'd use it daily on OS X

OS_X_Tiger
Macintosh

join:2006-02-14
Tucson, AZ
reply to rjackson

I HATE CAMINO.

GO SAFARI!

Darkfairy
Aeolus, your daughter flies.
Premium
join:2003-03-17
Louisville, KY
reply to rjackson

Safari/Shiira... but a lot of the reason for that I think is I don't get to use them on my other Gentoo/Windows (gaming only... when I can be bothered to reboot) machines.
--
- Stephie