»qwest.com/internethelp/n ··· dem.html

AthlGrond
Premium Member
join:2002-04-25
Aurora, CO

AthlGrond

Premium Member

Good news.

I looked earlier this morning and it wasn't up yet, I was a little worried that they were going to have people guessing the answers to configuration questions for a while.

Grethor
Today Is A Good Day To Format
join:2004-04-14
Tacoma, WA

Grethor

Ordered mine today!

bmatheson
@qwest.net

bmatheson to ewth8tr

Anon

to ewth8tr
What's up with the 5 computer limit listed on the page linked above?

"You may network the computers in your home/office with the Qwest® Advanced Networking Modem with Wireless: 2-Wire® 2700 HG and share one high-speed Internet connection with up to five computers."

Suffering
Retrovertigo
Premium Member
join:2004-03-06

Suffering

Premium Member

said by bmatheson :

What's up with the 5 computer limit listed on the page linked above?

"You may network the computers in your home/office with the Qwest® Advanced Networking Modem with Wireless: 2-Wire® 2700 HG and share one high-speed Internet connection with up to five computers."
That disclamer is for the actual networking support that Qwest will be doing in the near future (not a limitation of the modem itself).

They have to put a limit somewhere otherwise joe blow would want Qwest to help him setup his small office of 35 computers (and yes, there are people who would think that it would be reasonable to expect that).
Nik1108
join:2002-01-16
Nampa, ID

1 edit

Nik1108

Networking support is not in the near future...it is offered now with the purchase of network backer and for the first 30 days when you purchase a 2wire modem or wireless adapters from Qwest.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

fiberguy2 to Suffering

Premium Member

to Suffering
How is this modem as compared to the Actioncrap modems for the daily disconnect?

Are the 2-wires any better?? If so, I might be popping the $99.00 for one tomorrow.
questionable1
join:2005-10-18
Phoenix, AZ

questionable1 to ewth8tr

to ewth8tr
Oh trust me I love the 1701 hg I have now It well worth the money I spent for it
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member

fiberguy2

Premium Member

said by questionable1:

Oh trust me I love the 1701 hg I have now It well worth the money I spent for it
I ordered mine just now.. I get it on Friday! I bought mine to spare the $8 per month rental fee on this modem. I hope all of what is said about it is good. Anything has to be better than the actioncrap 701 and 1524 that I have had.

Since I don't use the DSL on my desktops, just the servers, and have cable modem service on the desktops, I can finally have my home page back. Becuse the DSL can go down at anytime without notice, I set my IE's home page to the modem's status page so I can spot check the modem throughout the day to see if it's online or not. It will be nice to have my homepage back.
questionable1
join:2005-10-18
Phoenix, AZ

questionable1 to ewth8tr

to ewth8tr
the nice thing is that the lights on the front tell you whats going on
caseydoug
join:2001-08-14
Seattle, WA

caseydoug to fiberguy2

to fiberguy2
said by fiberguy2:

Anything has to be better than the actioncrap 701 and 1524 that I have had.
A lot of people don't like the Actiontec. What specifically is the problem with it? Reliability?

I ask this because I've had one for about a month, and I've been comparing it to a Cisco 678. So far, the Actiontec has delivered generally faster throughput with better SNR margins and fewer errors. I haven't seen any problems with reliability, but then I've had it only a short while.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member

fiberguy2

Premium Member

Constant disconnects.

You can come in and find the modem in disconnect status. When it works, it's good for a modem. The routing and networking features of it are kinda sucky and there have been some bugs in the admin pages.

The Cisco 678 is solid. It's not really end-user friendly for setting up but you know it's a solid modem.

Are you renting or leasing your actiontec? I was told that if you have it for 30 days you can send it back.. if you can, go with the 2-wire.

ewth8tr
Premium Member
join:2005-04-03
Salt Lake City, UT

ewth8tr to fiberguy2

Premium Member

to fiberguy2
said by fiberguy2:

said by questionable1:

I ordered mine just now.. I get it on Friday! I bought mine to spare the $8 per month rental fee on this modem. I hope all of what is said about it is good. Anything has to be better than the actioncrap 701 and 1524 that I have had.

Since I don't use the DSL on my desktops, just the servers, and have cable modem service on the desktops, I can finally have my home page back. Becuse the DSL can go down at anytime without notice, I set my IE's home page to the modem's status page so I can spot check the modem throughout the day to see if it's online or not. It will be nice to have my homepage back.
Just curious, with those servers, do you have static ips or just go dynamic? If static, is it single or multiple addresses?
caseydoug
Seattle, WA

caseydoug to fiberguy2

to fiberguy2
said by fiberguy2:

Constant disconnects.

You can come in and find the modem in disconnect status. When it works, it's good for a modem. The routing and networking features of it are kinda sucky and there have been some bugs in the admin pages.

The Cisco 678 is solid. It's not really end-user friendly for setting up but you know it's a solid modem.

Are you renting or leasing your actiontec? I was told that if you have it for 30 days you can send it back.. if you can, go with the 2-wire.
I've had no disconnects with the Actiontec, and I don't need any of its routing, firewall, or wireless features. I do like the management flexibility of the Cisco 678, but it appeared to be either less sensitive to signal or more sensitive to noise. I don't know, maybe it's just a difference in the way the two devices keep their statistics. But I did think the Actiontec had better performance based on a series of speed tests I ran.

I just started leasing the Actiontec, but I was planning to send it back once I set up the Cisco. Now I don't know.

outterspace
@qwest.net

outterspace to fiberguy2

Anon

to fiberguy2
If you are having daily disconnects this could be the modem or the netowrk. If it is the network, most likely the new modem will be no differnet.

I would check out the actual issue instead of assuming before you buy a new modem.

Qwest put out a new firmware version for the GT701-wg today. QW05 is available on the site.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member

fiberguy2 to caseydoug

Premium Member

to caseydoug
Hey.. you here to disprove? or ask a question? lol

You asked a question, I answered it. Not everyone has the same issues with the actiontec, but many do as you will see all over this forum. The actiontec isn't the greatest modem. Even Qwest, when cornered, will tell you they aren't the greatest modems.

When my AT works, it works well.. very well. When it starts it's crap, it's bites. The cisco 675 I had never ONCE gave me a day of problems.. the Cisco was the best modem I have EVER had.. I had to give up the 675 when the DMT service was installed. It was my fault.. I should have upgraded to the 678 a long time ago when I had the chance so it would have been able to be upgraded from CAP to DMT, but I didn't.

If you are having good luck with the AT, then good for you... they can be good.. After I flashed the firmware, I now have less problems actually. However, from what I have heard about the 2-wire, to steal a phrase from Comcast's Brian robers, it's the difference of a Hyundai vs a BMW... I can't wait to get my 2-wire.
fiberguy2

fiberguy2 to ewth8tr

Premium Member

to ewth8tr
Actually, I have a static block of 8, 5 useable. Had those same IP addresses since 1999. They've gone through bridged, to PPPoE CAP, then to the DMT PPPoA...

Hope that answers your questions.

ewth8tr
Premium Member
Salt Lake City, UT

ewth8tr

Premium Member

said by fiberguy2:

Actually, I have a static block of 8, 5 useable. Had those same IP addresses since 1999. They've gone through bridged, to PPPoE CAP, then to the DMT PPPoA...

Hope that answers your questions.
cool, I figured that was your setup. Here's an FYI because I am not sure if any of the documentation for the 2wire says anything about it. Unlike the actiontec, which puts the user assignable IP's in an unnumbered mode setup in front of the firewall, the 2wire keeps them behind the firewall, so you need to use the DMZPlus to get it in front of the firewall.
caseydoug
Seattle, WA

caseydoug to fiberguy2

to fiberguy2
fiberguy,

I wanted to save the $5 rental I was paying on the Actiontec, so I bought a Cisco 678 for $25 on Ebay. I was a little disappointed in its performance, but I didn't feel like shelling out another $60 for the Actiontec if everyone thinks its junk, even though that wasn't my experience over a couple of weeks of operation.

The 2-wire is a bit pricey, considering that I don't need most of its features. I was looking for speed, reliability, and management flexibility for a cheap price. I think I'm not going to buy anything else until I see a clear advantage in doing so. Enjoy your 2-wire
bmatheson
join:2006-03-14
Englewood, CO

bmatheson to ewth8tr

to ewth8tr
Received my 2wire this afternoon. Ordered Monday afternoon. Pretty impressive turnaround if you ask me. Shipped UPS from Pueblo, CO, delivered to Greenwood Village, CO.

It's quite a bit larger than my 701, but pretty cool looking. Haven't hooked it up yet, so I can't comment on anything more than shipping time and looks.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member

fiberguy2 to ewth8tr

Premium Member

to ewth8tr
Really? I could have swore I saw something about Unnumbered mode on the 2-Wire... Does the 2-wire make it where all 5 can be exposed? or do you have to pierce the firewall.. I ask because I am not too familiar with the DMZPlus mode that you mentioned...

ewth8tr
Premium Member
Salt Lake City, UT

ewth8tr

Premium Member

said by fiberguy2:

Really? I could have swore I saw something about Unnumbered mode on the 2-Wire... Does the 2-wire make it where all 5 can be exposed? or do you have to pierce the firewall.. I ask because I am not too familiar with the DMZPlus mode that you mentioned...
yeah, from what has been told to me about it, it has unumbered mode and you enter the values just like you did on the actiontec, but for some reason they decided to design it where it would still be behind the firewall in unnumbered mode unless the DMZ+ is setup. The DMZ+ option is in the firewall under firewall settings. I'm supposed to get my 2wire tomorrow, so I'll mess around with it and see if I can find out if this is the case or not.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member

fiberguy2

Premium Member

I'm supposed to get mine tomorrow too, so I guess we'll see each other her tomorrow..

VinDSL
In A Gadda Da Vida
join:2002-08-10
Gilbert, AZ
Actiontec C3000A
Netgear D7000
Netgear R7000

VinDSL to caseydoug

to caseydoug
said by caseydoug:

I bought a Cisco 678 for $25 on Ebay... The 2-wire is a bit pricey...
LoL! You should have held out a little longer:

»cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2-WIRE- ··· ViewItem
VinDSL

VinDSL to ewth8tr

to ewth8tr
Click for full size
~Cool

They have a speed test on their site, so they gotta be okay...

cdigioia
Premium Member
join:2005-06-08
korea, repub

cdigioia to VinDSL

Premium Member

to VinDSL
said by VinDSL:

said by caseydoug:

Wow, that's the 1st one I've ever seen on Ebay...aren't the ones through Qwest physically modified in some way though?

(I ask because I think the reason most people want one, is because it's officially supported)

ewth8tr
Premium Member
Salt Lake City, UT

ewth8tr

Premium Member

said by cdigioia:

said by VinDSL:

said by caseydoug:

Wow, that's the 1st one I've ever seen on Ebay...aren't the ones through Qwest physically modified in some way though?

(I ask because I think the reason most people want one, is because it's officially supported)
yeah, the Qwest ones don't have that button on the front of it for handing out a wireless guest pass.
caseydoug
Seattle, WA

caseydoug to VinDSL

to VinDSL
said by VinDSL:

~Cool

I hear it goes to 11!
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member

fiberguy2 to outterspace

Premium Member

to outterspace
It's not the network, or actually the line. The line is clean as a whistly. Virtually no errors on my line at all. Techs have been here and said the same thing that the modem shows, that the central office shows.

The last firmware update improved the disconnects about 70%, but after 5 years of CAP service with NO disconnects, the remaining 30% is unacceptable. Actually, anything more than the occasional disconnect from time to time is unacceptable.

Qwest, eventually, will admit that the actiontec is a piece and is most of the cause for disconnects.

VinDSL
In A Gadda Da Vida
join:2002-08-10
Gilbert, AZ
Actiontec C3000A
Netgear D7000
Netgear R7000

VinDSL to caseydoug

to caseydoug
Click for full size
said by caseydoug:
said by VinDSL:

~Cool

I hear it goes to 11!
Here's my DS3 connection...