spc
Search similar:

uniqs
tifalita
join:2006-03-15
Oklahoma City, OK

tifalita

how do bounce a wireless signal?????

i need to bounce a wireless signal from my room, in iraq, to my work area. i want to know what i have to get to do tis all wirelessly, except the powercord of course. i need to be able to connect to the wireless router wirelessly, then broadcast the same signal again from the first router to my work area. i just wanna sorta bounce the signal. thanks guys

bobmister
@c3-0.rdwd-ubr2.sfrn-

bobmister

Anon

"just want to?"

A WiFi signal is not a laser beam where u can "just" put a mirror.

Can't bounce, but surely can re-transmit.

Have area A transmit Wifi signal to area B via 2 directional antenna is one way.

Running a long CAT5 is another way.
russotto
join:2000-10-05
West Orange, NJ

russotto to tifalita

to tifalita
Actually you can bounce the signal. It sounds like the OP is looking for a repeater though.
SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium Member
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX

1 recommendation

SipSizzurp to tifalita

Premium Member

to tifalita
said by tifalita:

from my room, in iraq, to my work area.
Which part of iraq is Oklahoma City in ? Which part do you want to bouce to ? Might be a pretty long hop !

dandeman
MVM
join:2001-12-05
Chapel Hill, NC

dandeman to tifalita

MVM

to tifalita
I started out using a simple sheet of tinfoil to reflect the wireless signal from my basement machine up toward the AP on the third floor..

The wireless card sticking out the back of a tower machine in the basement was aiming away from the AP and (not practical to turn the machine around where it's mounted)

the tinfoil worked pretty good, but I later covered the sheet with 3M copper EMC tape (quite expensive) that I had left over from a repeater project.. works better.

Just used the wireless signal strength indicator to aim and position the reflector.....
tifalita
Oklahoma City, OK

tifalita

look im deployed right now and its a serious question. i just would like to know. and which product would be the best? thanks just lemme know

superdog
I Need A Drink
MVM
join:2001-07-13
Lebanon, PA

1 recommendation

superdog

MVM

said by tifalita:

look im deployed right now and its a serious question. i just would like to know. and which product would be the best? thanks just lemme know
First of all, thanx for serving our country, now on to Your question.:)
WiFi or RF will bounce or reflect off of any metallic object, the fun starts when You try and make it go where You want it too using this method:D. If it is a short distance, You may try a "passive repeater". This involves taking 2 high gain directional antennas and attaching them back to back with a really short cable(in some cases, You can just screw the pigtails attached to the antennas together),in the direct center between Your room and work area with the first antenna pointing towards Your room, and the second one pointed towards Your work area. You MUST have line of sight for this to work, as WiFi signals do not penetrate solid objects very well. Some people have had success with this, and others have cursed it?. Another option is a wireless signal "extender". Linksys makes one, and You can power it with a solar panel and a cheap voltage regulator hooked up to a 12V car battery. If You need more ideas?, go talk to the guys in signal corp. They should have access to low loss cable and connectors and other goodies You will need along with the expertise to hook it up(a six pack would be a great bribe if You can get it?). Good luck!
tifalita
Oklahoma City, OK

tifalita

ok first of all its not a short distance but the "extender" will be up higher and only have to travel through air. do u think that it would travel 150 - 200ft? and you said linksys offered one thanks for you help please just help me once more with this last question.
tifalita

tifalita to superdog

to superdog
ok i was wrong more questions lol!! ok now i have more than one wireless service provider in my "room" can this extender let me choose which one to extend?
SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium Member
Houston, TX

SipSizzurp

Premium Member

Single repeater devices are generally brand proprietary / model specific. What are the makes and models of your 2 wireless routers ? There is a universal solution that would consist of 2 access points wired back to back with a cross-over cable that would effectively repeat any brand of Wi-Fi router, and also allow you to switch sources on the fly. How many feet from the source will the repeater be located ? How many walls / buildings are going to be between the repeater and the source ? 200 feet from the repeater the target use area will not be a problem at all through free air.
tifalita
Oklahoma City, OK

tifalita

ok the deal is i want to set up the repeater on the roof of our barracks, and the souce is in the middle of our barracks. and right now our barracks is a big warehouse, three stories. im on the third floor as will as the router. from the source to the repeater we are talking 125- 150 ft, and a roof. dont know what it is made of. then down to my work place about 200 ft away.
SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium Member
Houston, TX

SipSizzurp

Premium Member

150' and a roof is anybody's guess. You need to get a laptop with wireless and check the signal strength on the roof where you are wanting to locate the repeater. Alternately, run CAT5 cable to the roof and hook it to an access point to provide service to the target area.
tifalita
Oklahoma City, OK

tifalita

i just bought the most expensive most range linksys repeater. and a linksys wrx400 notebook card. so yeah. and i took my laptop up there and i had about 2 bars of signal. it varied from good to low

superdog
I Need A Drink
MVM
join:2001-07-13
Lebanon, PA

superdog

MVM

said by tifalita:

i just bought the most expensive most range linksys repeater. and a linksys wrx400 notebook card. so yeah. and i took my laptop up there and i had about 2 bars of signal. it varied from good to low
Cool, that means You are gaining on it. Depending on what the roof is made of will determine how far the signal will travel.
Seaboogers
join:2004-11-01
Sarasota, FL

Seaboogers to tifalita

to tifalita
Can you elaborate more about the "source" of your internet connection? Are you hard wired in your room? Is there literally a wireless service provider giving your entire barracks service? In other words...how exactly are you getting your internet service?

If you have a hard wired connection in your room you might want to look at running some CAT5 from your wireless router to the roof of your barracks....have that feeding an AP with a directional antenna pointing down towards your work space.

If this is possible...it would be even better to just use another wireless router instead of an AP (They cost a lot less)...You'd need to make sure the wireless router for the roof position has a removable antenna so you can replace it with a directional one...then make sure you disable DHCP on it so it acts like an AP.

If your barracks and surrounding area is being fed by a wireless internet provider....you can look at putting an AP on the roof of your work area with a higher gain antenna and have the AP act as a "wireless client" to pump the signal via CAT5 down into your work area.