Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Rob A
Avoiding Opera 15
Premium
join:2005-01-17
Pompton Plains, NJ

How do I get the newsticker back to the top?

The newsticker has suddenly moved to the bottom of the screen and looks completely different. How do I move it back to where it used to be?
--
Spread Opera! The fast, sleek, and feature-rich browser! »opera.com

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
join:1999-05-28
kudos:15
normally tickers run along the bottom, and look a bit like a ticker, which is what I tried to do with this.
Later I might add a position option.

Rob A
Avoiding Opera 15
Premium
Pompton Plains, NJ
Ok, please consider it, I never look at the bottom for news, always expect it at the top.
--

state
stress magnet
Serf
join:2002-02-08
Purgatory
kudos:6
reply to justin

Slightly off-topic but about the ticker...

For some reason the navigation buttons in the ticker aren't working in Firefox (OSX). Any ideas?

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
does the javascript console show anything? they work ok for me in firefox and in IE on windows. That was all I could test.

state
stress magnet
Serf
Purgatory
I think it was just a temporary browser problem, I opened the javascript console and Firefox crashed. Once I launched it again the buttons started working.

Works fine in Safari and Opera under OSX as well.
--
"For my birthday I got a humidifier and a de-humidifier...I put them in the sameroom and let them fight it out." -- Steven Wright

antdude
A Matrix Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:5

1 edit
reply to Rob A

My news ticker in Mozilla v1.7.12

Mine isn't working and is at the bottom as well. No headlines as well.

It was fine yesterday.

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
I think shift-reload might nudge it. It probably has an old .js file stuck from cache.

antdude
A Matrix Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

Re: My news ticker in Mozilla v1.7.12 & IE 6.0 SP2.

said by justin:

I think shift-reload might nudge it. It probably has an old .js file stuck from cache.
Nope. Still broken. Cleared caches. Even tried IE6.0 SP2 and disabled my firewall. Same thing.

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
well what is in the javascript console? the arrow buttons should flick the headlines if either News or Forums (or both) are lit up.

antdude
A Matrix Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by justin:

well what is in the javascript console? the arrow buttons should flick the headlines if either News or Forums (or both) are lit up.
DOH!!!!! Now it works.

Wait, I don't like one headline. Is there a way to get the old lok back? I liked the list version.
--
Ant @ The Ant Farm: »antfarm.ma.cx ... Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use the forum (I check almost daily)! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

mers2
Premium,MVM
join:2004-03-20
USA
kudos:8
reply to Rob A

Re: How do I get the newsticker back to the top?

With the new change the news ticker works again with the Endeffect theme. Thnak you!

sporkme
drop the crantini and move it, sister
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-01
Morristown, NJ
reply to justin
said by justin:

normally tickers run along the bottom, and look a bit like a ticker, which is what I tried to do with this.
Later I might add a position option.
Please do. My monitor is only so large, so I don't see it down there. Top was much better and made some kind of sense.

This is almost as "let me show you how to make things easier by making them more complicated" as the damn topic hovers that hide the topic names.
--
Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity

Jehu
Claimed
Premium
join:2002-09-13
MA
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to justin
It looks slick, but IMHO makes it more difficult see the current headlines.

I think users would rather click once to go to the home page and see all the news items in one scan, then do multiple clicks with the arrow buttons to see the same.

While less slick, the previous view let you quickly scan the headlines in one pass and decide whether to click or move on.

--
The hills are alive with the sound of jehu.

PitBull0
Premium
join:2002-07-25
Orange, TX
reply to Rob A
PLEASE move the news back to the TOP

sporkme
Premium,MVM
Morristown, NJ
reply to Jehu
said by Jehu:

While less slick, the previous view let you quickly scan the headlines in one pass and decide whether to click or move on.
Yeah, I also noticed it doesn't "remember" what you've already viewed. That's another thing I liked about the top version. You click and read it and then it's gone from the list.

I bet that if one could dig up the stats, there would be less front-page news views yesterday than any previous Wednesday. I just thought Karl was still on vacation and we had no new news.
--
Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
It kind of remembers because links you have visited are a different color (theme dependent). And anyway, I remember a lot of complaints for having articles vanish if you clicked on them once.

mykey2k

join:2001-11-19
Aurora, IL
reply to PitBull0
said by PitBull0:

PLEASE move the news back to the TOP
Only replying to add my request for it to be moved back to the top. On a laptop screen, there's only so much real estate.

-m

sporkme
Premium,MVM
Morristown, NJ
reply to justin
said by justin:

It kind of remembers because links you have visited are a different color (theme dependent). And anyway, I remember a lot of complaints for having articles vanish if you clicked on them once.
Too much clicky-clicky, and the time it takes to move through them is pretty darn slow. Sounds like a good item to put in user prefs to me... Ticker style, top/bottom, age links/remove clicked links.
--

Rob A
Avoiding Opera 15
Premium
Pompton Plains, NJ
reply to justin
said by justin:

Yup, I hated them disappearing after clicking. But if its at the top and not disappearing then it is perfect.
--

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium
join:2002-10-08
Hoffman Estates, IL
reply to Rob A
How do I get it off?

MorWired
Premium
join:2001-03-03
reply to justin
I hate to add to the conflicting requests, and I suppose this is still a work in progress (or I haven't figured out how to work this yet), but if there isn't a way to do away with the top news info, would you please put back that option to toggle on/off? I have no problem with the news on the bottom, but would really appreciate being able to turn it off on top, as I've had it since it was added a long time ago.

It's a very clean interface, and is looking very functional, just in the wrong place for my purposes.

Thanks for all the hard work, and for trying to make the users happy, even when we make it a nearly impossible task by wanting completely opposite things.

--
Get your daily dose of wonder from the Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD).

Rob A
Avoiding Opera 15
Premium
Pompton Plains, NJ
reply to Rob A
It's at the top, yes! Good work justin!

justin
..needs sleep
Australian

1 recommendation

reply to MorWired
if you click the word Ticker or visit
»/tickerconfig
you can select it off or on or top or bottom.

state
stress magnet
Serf
Purgatory
reply to Rob A
said by Rob A:

It's at the top, yes! Good work justin!
And there's an option to keep showing 'seen news'. Nice to have that back. Thanks
--
"For my birthday I got a humidifier and a de-humidifier...I put them in the sameroom and let them fight it out." -- Steven Wright

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
there is an option but it doesn't do anything yet.

state
stress magnet
Serf
Purgatory

2 edits
It's at least a step in the right direction.

Edit: It's default to show 'seen news' then? That's how it appears.

MorWired
Premium
join:2001-03-03
reply to justin
said by justin:
if you click the word Ticker or visit
»/tickerconfig
you can select it off or on or top or bottom.
Thank you very much. I tried that first, before posting, hoping it would do just that, but it (Ticker) took me to the front page, and I scrolled down it, and didn't see (probably missed?) the configuration link.

Absolutely perfect. Thank you kindly.
--
Get your daily dose of wonder from the Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD).

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3
reply to Rob A
Mine was first showing on the top AND the bottom when I just got to the home page.

And clicking on "news" or "forums" didn't change a thing and the arrow buttons didn't work either. I didn't even know what it was supposed to do until I came here to this thread, lol....

Doing a shift/reload got it all working so now it makes sense.
--
~~Then the rainstorm came over me and I felt my spirit break; I had lost all of my belief you see, and realized my mistake...~~

FastEddie
Premium,Ex-Mod 2001-13
join:2000-12-29
Channel Z

1 edit

From the left side menu, just follow the pictures below.

--
Here's To You