All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
paule123
join:2002-07-25
Cleveland, OH

paule123

SBC installed a big new curbside box in the neighborhood...

Down the street from me there has been what I suspect is a "remote terminal" box on the curb for a few years. A large, beige, skinny, unvented, rectangular box. A couple weeks ago, right next to it SBC installed another large beige box, this one is squarish, appears a little beefier and is vented.
Any way to call SBC, give them the approximate address and find out what this is? I'm hoping Lightspeed is on the way to my area...
BTW, I'm in the Cleveland, OH suburbs.
alex14464
join:2004-11-11
Bonne Terre, MO

alex14464

can you post a photo? it may be lightspeed. i just wish it would come to my area.

alex

RadioDoc

join:2000-05-11
La Grange, IL

RadioDoc to paule123

to paule123
A large, beige, skinny, unvented, rectangular box is almost certainly a crossbox.

A somewhat beefier one could be a Lightspan enclosure (RT). See »RT picture(s) . to see if it is.
paule123
Cleveland, OH

paule123

Click for full size
Here's the pix guys. The newly installed box is on the right (as if you couldn't tell by the dirt everywhere). I was somewhat shocked at that SBC tore up a homeowners front yard to install that thing!

lev
Anyone else remember ISDN?

join:2001-05-30
Goodyear, AZ

lev

Hmm... that might be something very, very nice.

Lightspeed node maybe?

RadioDoc

La Grange, IL

RadioDoc to paule123

to paule123
said by paule123:

I was somewhat shocked at that SBC tore up a homeowners front yard to install that thing!
Utility easements can be a real bitch if you don't know where they are and install landscaping in them.

That large cabinet down the street in your second picture is kinda oddly placed. Is that installed there or is it just resting? Or is that the "skinny box" you were referring to earlier?

Next time you see someone out there, ask 'em what it's for. Can't hurt to bring out some doughnuts or cookies along with a couple cold cans of your favorite soft drink.

d_l
Barsoom
MVM
join:2002-12-08
Reno, NV

d_l to lev

MVM

to lev
Those look like power conduits poking out of the back of the new box's pad. I think that would be a good sign for something nice.
paule123
Cleveland, OH

paule123 to RadioDoc

to RadioDoc
said by RadioDoc:

That large cabinet down the street in your second picture is kinda oddly placed. Is that installed there or is it just resting? Or is that the "skinny box" you were referring to earlier?
The one on the left closest to the street is the "skinny box" I was referring to earlier, it's not resting, it's been there for a few years. I assume it's the box where they make the cross connects for good old POTS service.

It looks like the sidewalk is new, so perhaps they made some underground connection from the old box location to the new box location.

RadioDoc

La Grange, IL

RadioDoc

Could be Lightspeed. If anyone sees kevdawg0 See Profile around, ask him if it looks familiar.

TransitMan
MVM
join:2000-09-05
Dayton, OH

TransitMan to paule123

MVM

to paule123
That small skinny box is familiar to me.
I've seen quite a few of those around Dayton, Oh, and those are cross-connect for plain old POTS. I inquired a SBC/ATT tech on day about them.
The new box though, that's a tuffy!

swman
@qwest.net

swman to paule123

Anon

to paule123
It can be 1 of 2 things, a cabinet that provides more POT's relief, or a cabinet that provides DSL service. In locations far from a Telephone Office remote DSL cabinets are used. The pots line is connected in and out of the DSL cabinet. The DSL is added to your line at that location. The DSL portion of your service will ride fiber or copper T1 lines from that cabinet to the ATM switch in a local Telephone Office, and poooff you are connected to the net. Usually if copper T1 lines are used your max speed may be 1.5 meg.
telephone man
alex14464
Bonne Terre, MO

alex14464 to paule123

to paule123
that dose look like an rt. there putting right next to cross connect boxes where i used to live. wished i would have stayed there now in st.louis. looks the same

alex

lev
Anyone else remember ISDN?

join:2001-05-30
Goodyear, AZ

lev

Lightspeed nodes are supposed to replace cross-connect boxes. I'd be gettin' pretty excited if I saw one going where my cross-connect is, because I know where the RT is too.

paule123, what kind of service is available to you now, and is it via CO or RT?

dogtech7
Let Us Build It
join:2002-06-08
Toledo, OH

dogtech7 to paule123

to paule123
You better start smiling! That is a Lightspeed(VRAD) box. They are not going to replace the xcut box.....it will be wired into them.

They are starting to pop up all over in the Toledo, Oh area. At&t appears to be quietly installing them although they have not turned them up for service yet.

pa grape
Premium Member
join:2003-12-28
Columbus, OH

pa grape to paule123

Premium Member

to paule123
After looking at the pictures here, I remembered seeing the exact same new boxes being installed around town here in the north Columbus area also. They have gone in over the last few months. I wondered what they were for.

RadioDoc

La Grange, IL

RadioDoc to dogtech7

to dogtech7
said by dogtech7:

You better start smiling! That is a Lightspeed(VRAD) box. They are not going to replace the xcut box.....it will be wired into them.

They are starting to pop up all over in the Toledo, Oh area. At&t appears to be quietly installing them although they have not turned them up for service yet.

* DING! *

There you have it. Rejoice.

Riss_Centaur
Mod'taur - - - - 4 On The Floor.
MVM,
join:2004-01-20
Chicago, IL

Riss_Centaur

MVM,

Doc-- think this is worth haning off the end of this faq: »AT&T Midwest/Ameritech FAQ »Remote Terminals (RTs) & Lightspeed Nodes or maybe we start a new one for lightspeed sightings?

RadioDoc

La Grange, IL

RadioDoc

I probably need to redo that FAQ entry anyway. I just added a link back to this thread and changed the title a bit right before posting this.
paule123
Cleveland, OH

paule123 to lev

to lev
said by lev:

paule123, what kind of service is available to you now, and is it via CO or RT?
I've got SBC Pro DSL but can only max out at 2Mbps due to distance to the CO. I believe service is to the CO and not RT based on my research and maps available here at DSLR.

Well it's nice to hear others in Ohio are seeing these pop up. For once, our little technology backwater of Cleveland, OH may be getting some leading edge services installed...

RazznCain
Premium Member
join:2003-03-02
Riverview, MI

RazznCain to paule123

Premium Member

to paule123
Just waiting on the Lightning Strikes to "Activate" it and carry out Ed's final "plan"

Riss_Centaur
Mod'taur - - - - 4 On The Floor.
MVM,
join:2004-01-20
Chicago, IL

Riss_Centaur

MVM,

Why does that sound like a plot from a "B" monster movie?...

RadioDoc

La Grange, IL

RadioDoc

Plan B. From outer space.

Mega DETH
It's All About The Ping
join:2003-08-20
Watertown, WI

Mega DETH to paule123

to paule123
I had a dream one of these were installed on my block, but the date was April 1st 2008
gkish
join:2003-09-04
Grosse Ile, MI

gkish

They are also starting to install these in Grosse Ile MI.... The new box is @ 100 yards away (closer to my home!) from the existing RT that services my area.

RazznCain
Premium Member
join:2003-03-02
Riverview, MI

RazznCain

Premium Member

yep.. we have them going into Riverview, too.
JonR800
Premium Member
join:2003-08-06
Farmington, MI

JonR800 to paule123

Premium Member

to paule123
This winter SBC was in my neighborhood with a backhoe putting in that exact same box. I meant to take pictures to confirm if it was for lightspeed or not. They plopped it near the old/current cross connect box. I haven't seen them working on it recently though. Exciting stuff either way.

This is in Farmington Hills, MI.
alex14464
Bonne Terre, MO

alex14464 to paule123

to paule123
they need to come to terre du lac community outside of bonne terre. lol alex
Dark_Fiber
Here We Go Again.
join:2004-06-13
Saint Charles, MO

Dark_Fiber to paule123

to paule123
Looks like what is referred to as a "brick", also called extended range DSL. The "brick" is fed by multiple bonded DS1's and can serve up to 50 DSL subscribers. The POTS service is still delivered on copper(that's why it will usually be installed near and existing x-connect box) and the Data is delivered via the DS1's. The brick joins/separates the signals onto the F2 pair. The advantage to the extended range setup is that DSL can be served to any location that repeatered DS1's can go, the F2 can be up to 14000 feet long and the F1 cable pairs can be loaded(because the data portion of the service rides back to the ATM cloud via the DS1's).

Just my guess though, since we cant see what is inside it.

Penguins3
Have You Played Atari Today?
join:2001-12-01
Cleveland, OH

Penguins3

What kind of internet speeds will these deliver at normal human price levels?

RadioDoc

La Grange, IL

RadioDoc

The plan is 25/2 via VDSL2+ (I think that upload number is right, the DL definitely is) but that includes TV stream(s). New subdivision construction gets FTTP, aka FIOS.