JimF
Premium Member
join:2003-06-15
Allentown, PA

1 edit

JimF

Premium Member

[Info] DI-524/624 WPA2-Auto connection hangups

There is an option for "wpa2-auto" on various versions of the DI-524 and di-624 firmware. This allows you to connect in either WPA or WPA2 mode. But I have found that the Auto mode only works properly for a few connections over a period of a few hours. After that, it hangs up and my laptop can't connect. Even rebooting my laptop usually does not fix it, so the problem appears to be on the router side. I have seen the problem on the DI-524 3.20 firmware, and the di-624 2.71b11 and the Eusso generic 1.6.6 firmware. On the Eusso, wpa2-auto is just labeled WPA2, but it works in Auto mode anyway. According to my tests, the problem occurs only when the router tries auto-connecting to WiFi cards that support WPA2. If the WiFi card only supports WPA, I don't think it is a problem.

A solution that works for me on the router side is to select either WPA or WPA2 (not Auto) when using the 2.71b11 firmware. The WiFi card then has connected without hang-up after many connections for more than a day. I think the DI-524 3.20 firmware also has the option to select WPA or WPA2 (without the auto). But with the Eusso 1.6.6 firmware, it appears that the only option is to select WPA, since there is no separate setting for WPA2 and wpa2-auto. If anyone has a different solution, please let us know.
rb2006
join:2006-03-25
Grafton, OH

rb2006

I tried using wpa2-auto when I first set up my DI-524 (3.20 firmware) along with a WDA-1320 card. Like you described above, it worked for about an hour and then stopped. Rebooting did not seem to help.

For now, I switched to WPA-PSK and everything is working fine. I might play with WPA2 a bit more later, but don't have access to the router right now and the wireless card is in my housemate's system so I'd rather leave it be at the moment.
tqhoang
join:2006-01-25

tqhoang to JimF

to JimF
This sounds very similar to the problem I'm having. I posted about it here: »di-624 and Centrino DHCP problem still exists

Turns out that if I use WPA-PSK with AES that seems to work even with the di-624 set to wpa2-auto with AES. So it looks like D-Link has a wpa2-auto issue to resolve still.
JimF
Premium Member
join:2003-06-15
Allentown, PA

JimF

Premium Member

All of my tests were done with the client card set to AES. A couple of cards used WPA2/AES while a third did only WPA/AES. As indicated above, the card that did only WPA did not have the problem. It would be interesting to try TKIP to see if that has the problem. However, it is mainly of academic interest to me; I would prefer to use WPA/AES if that were necessary rather than WPA2/TKIP.

Yes, it is another (of many) areas for D-Link to look at. By the way, my DI-634M apparently does not have the problem. It works in wpa2-auto mode (labeled "WPA2") just fine, although I have not tested it quite as long as the DI-524. I think the earlier routers were test beds for the later ones.