uniqs
share rss forum feed

Clearity
Swoled UP
Premium
join:2002-10-31
Orland Park, IL

Sports Cars for Tall People

My father is about 6'5 and is looking for a sports car, he no longer could take squishing into his Viper. He tried a 360 Modena Spyder, and fit in that comfortably, the Ford GT 40 was a no go. What other Sports Cars can a Tall person fit in comfortably?

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

I'm only 6'2", and I had no problem with my '92 Miata for 10 years. I currently own a '01 Audi TT, and it has even more headroom. I believe that a 6'5" person would do ok in a TT, but probably not a Miata. A lot of it depends on torso length and how much you enjoy "wearing a low hat." I do have to crane my neck slightly to see some traffic lights.
--
Iraq Coalition Deaths, Graphic | RC5 | bobrk

Irun Man
Spartan up
Premium
join:2002-10-18
Walden, NY
reply to Clearity

Corvettes (especially since the late 1960's) seem built for the tallest of us. My former brother-in-law was 6'7" and had a '68 coupe; it was strange seeing his wife (my 5'2" sister) stack seat cushions in it, just so she could see over the steering wheel!

Porsches are also good choices. Pretty much any 2+2 GT car that has a jokingly small rear seat can fit a taller person well.
--
Life is a journey; death is a given.

gapiou

join:2003-02-13
Richmond Hill, ON
reply to Clearity

Your going to compare a miata and an old vet with a Viper, Modena and a ford GT.

I'm 6'4 and find the Acura NSX gives me enough room, you may want to try the cadillac xlr.

Tell us how it goes and post some pics

Grumpy
Premium
join:2001-07-28
NW CT
reply to Clearity

How about a Carrera GT?
»www.rsportscars.com/foto/03/carreragt06.jpg

RealoRc
Premium
join:2003-01-25
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Clearity

How about something a little more practical like a Charger SRT8. At $45k it might be a bit too low class for you guys. But GSM has a supercharger for $6k and you can add $5k on for lightweight 22" rims, that'll push it over a total of $55k.

Newegg
Comcast steals modems

join:2004-11-14
Norcross, GA

said by RealoRc:

How about something a little more practical like a Charger SRT8. At $45k it might be a bit too low class for you guys. But GSM has a supercharger for $6k and you can add $5k on for lightweight 22" rims, that'll push it over a total of $55k.
Too much to blow away on a Dodge. I noticed now-a-days that American car manufacturers started charging quite a lot of their domestics and some cars are over import prices.
--
So I go in to RadioSjack to get an audio wire I saw online for $15.
RadioSjack employee: "Cmon man buy this $50 gold plated wire for better sound man." "Buy this extended warranty man." "It includes FREE cleaning for the wire for a year." "Cmon man."

Clearity
Swoled UP
Premium
Orland Park, IL
reply to gapiou

Will do, not to sound arrogant, he doesn't want a vette himself due to the fact that everyone has one.

stickfigure

join:2002-06-11
El Cajon, CA

Has he looked at an Aston Martin Vanquish S?

Swordfish II
Watching A Dream
Premium
join:2002-05-12
Cloud 9
reply to Clearity

Ummm ok, maybe a little low class judging from the cars mentioned so far. But I am 6'3" and I fit very comfortably in my WRX, so you could check out an STi......on the high end you could check TVR, Jeremy Clarkson is not a small dude and fits in those pretty well.
--
I'm not going there to die. I'm going there to see if i really am alive.

mikefxu

join:2004-10-05
Titusville, FL

1 edit
reply to Clearity

I am 6'4" and I fit in a Miata just fine. I have seen dudes taller then me driving manual Miatas. Seems to me your father is older and just needs a larger car like a Cadillac or a Truck/SUV. I know with older people its hard on them getting in and out of cars that sit so low to the ground.
--
DW6000 .74 AMC9 1410MHz on 700Kbps/128Kbps CE plan at Fort Riley, Kansas.
WildBlue Beam: 31 on 1.0Mbps/200Kbps plan at Indian Springs, Nevada.

justin
..needs sleep
Australian
join:1999-05-28
kudos:15
Reviews:
·iiNet
reply to Clearity

A mini cooper-s has a lot of headroom.
But since you are talking about a guy with a quarter of million to burn I expect he isn't interested. Maybe he can buy whatever car he likes than hand 10 grand to a place that will build a custom recaro seat.

mikefxu

join:2004-10-05
Titusville, FL

1 edit
reply to Clearity

Or keep the viper and pay a person $30k a year to ride with him and assist him in and out of the vehicle. I don't believe his problem is sitting but rather getting in and out of. I am 6'4" 300 pounds and by no means small and fit fine and comfortably in smaller cars such as 96 civic(car I drive), crx(car I have owned in past), miata(friends car I borrow).

pi
Premium
join:2002-01-19
Harwood Heights, IL
reply to Swordfish II

said by Swordfish II:

on the high end you could check TVR, Jeremy Clarkson is not a small dude and fits in those pretty well.
Unfortunately, there aren't any TVRs in the US and I doubt that they'll come here.

said by stickfigure:

Has he looked at an Aston Martin Vanquish S?
I think he should stay away from the Vanquish, simply because of its awful transmission. The DB9, on the other hand, would be a much wiser choice.

There's also the new M5, which I'm sure would seat your father comfortably.
--
Legalize free-enterprise murder: why should governments have all the fun?

RealoRc
Premium
join:2003-01-25
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Clearity

MG SV.. unreliable, expensive, british, and rare (only 400 produced I think).

With a quarter million to spend I thought there are specialized personal buyers that does the research for people.

»www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontaine···=over85k

Unique and new.. Aston Martin V8 Vantage, Ferrari 612 Scaglietti.

Clearity
Swoled UP
Premium
Orland Park, IL
reply to Clearity

He went to the Lamborghini dealership in Fox Valley, Illinois and I guess it's either the f430 or a Gallardo Spyder.

Cody
Bob Vance, VR
Premium
join:2002-05-28
Spokane, WA

Is he looking for MT or Auto ? I think the Gallardo is the only option if he wants MT. I hope he enjoys (I'm sure he will) whichever he decides on!

Clearity
Swoled UP
Premium
Orland Park, IL
reply to Clearity

He picked up a 2006 Corvette Convertible today, just till the Gallardo Spyder he ordered is built, the dealership is not sure when his will be delivered.

big greg
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2005-6
join:2003-10-11
Boston, MA
reply to Clearity

The 997 Porsches, M5, M6 will fit. Sorry, Carrera GT will NOT fit.