uniqs
share rss forum feed

arch_slayer

join:2004-08-19
Saratoga, CA

2 edits

[Split] A Bandwidth Cap Discussion

Split from this topic ---> »Unofficial Next Comcast Speed Upgrade Rumor Topic

dadkins: tv shows actually DO add up, especially when you download many of them (for me it's only anime), my average per month is approximately 400GB a month

See also ---> »[Split] Yet Another Bandwidth Cap Thread

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA
kudos:18

3 edits

Re: Unofficial Next Comcast Speed Upgrade Rumor Topic

LOL! Whatever you say friend...
Just an FYI, I don't just cruise BBR, I do my share of downloading as well... 400GB is ALOT of viewing time.

Perhaps it's time that you purchased a TV Tuner card instead of downloading TV shows.
Yes, there are digital cards available.

BTW, Most TV shows that you download aren't in MPEG2 format, AVIs usually. That's a boatload of watching time.

DeeC
Premium
join:2000-09-01
the world
kudos:1

1 recommendation

I agree, 300-500GB is a HELLUVA LOT......

Hypothetically, the average person with access to copyrighted material probably downloads (in one month):

5-7 DVD-Rs (32.9 GB max)
5-15 SVCDs/VCDs (25.5 GB max)
5-6 XBOX/PS2/GC/PSP Games (28.2 GB max)
5-15 Xvid TV Shows (5.6GB)
100 MP3s (4.7GB)

so, that is 96.9 GB ...which would make 300-500GB really extreme

Tristan9669

join:2004-08-07
Beverly Hills, CA

1 edit
seems you know a lot about this stuff...

DeeC
Premium
the world

1 recommendation

said by Tristan9669:

All hypothetically, of course....

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
Hercules, CA

1 recommendation

reply to DeeC
said by DeeC:

I agree, 300-500GB is a HELLUVA LOT......

Hypothetically, the average person with access to copyrighted material probably downloads (in one month):

5-7 DVD-Rs (32.9 GB max)
5-15 SVCDs/VCDs (25.5 GB max)
5-6 XBOX/PS2/GC/PSP Games (28.2 GB max)
5-15 Xvid TV Shows (5.6GB)
100 MP3s (4.7GB)

so, that is 96.9 GB ...which would make 300-500GB really extreme
That's what I'm talking about!
--
Think outside the Fox... Opera

reply to DeeC
Now multiply that 96.9 gigs by the # of people in an average household, say 3 to 4 and you're getting into the kind of bandwith that gets you cut off.

AthlGrond
Premium,MVM
join:2002-04-25
Aurora, CO

1 recommendation

The average households that I've seen don't have 3 to 4 alpha geeks in them.

DeeC
Premium
the world

1 recommendation

said by AthlGrond:

The average households that I've seen don't have 3 to 4 alpha geeks in them.
LOL.....very true

jbob
Reach Out and Touch Someone
Premium
join:2004-04-26
Little Rock, AR

1 recommendation

reply to Tristan9669
said by Tristan9669:

Alias is just making up for all the lost time that her Comcast conection was whacky. Which was months on end. lol That wasn't hypothetical!

DeeC
Premium
the world
said by jbob:

said by Tristan9669:

Alias is just making up for all the lost time that her Comcast conection was whacky. Which was months on end. lol That wasn't hypothetical!
LOL, and I still can't get anywhere near 300-500GB per month ....whew, that's some major bootleg material - that guy must be a distro or something ROFL!!!

so what

@gte.net
reply to arch_slayer

Re: [Split] A Bandwidth Cap Discussion

Since when does the nature of your download content determine whether it's OK to use your unlimited bandwidth? Under that theory, you shouldn't be able to use your telephone to discuss anything that is illegal - at least not your weekend free minutes.

Wait until IPTV gets popular. Then you'll really be hitting the cap even without any questionable content.

Maybe we need to start an content police force and justify everything we do on the internet to them.

dallas

join:2001-01-03
Oakley, CA
said by so what :

Maybe we need to start an content police force and justify everything we do on the internet to them.
I think it's too late....the content police are in full swing
--
"Chance favors the prepared mind"

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
Hercules, CA

1 edit
reply to so what
said by so what :

Since when does the nature of your download content determine whether it's OK to use your unlimited bandwidth? Under that theory, you shouldn't be able to use your telephone to discuss anything that is illegal - at least not your weekend free minutes.

Wait until IPTV gets popular. Then you'll really be hitting the cap even without any questionable content.

WHAT "unlimited bandwidth"?
Comcast doen't offer that on Residential connections...
Comcast is selling speed, not sheer volume.

Comcast does have Enterprise connections for business, and you can do whatever you wish on them. What you have coming out of your wall at home is not an Enterprise connection!
--

acrufox

join:2004-07-14
Canada

1 edit
Not true...when I got a bandwidth abuse letter at the time I was doing 101-104GB on average per month. Since then I haven't exceeded 150-200GB combined all family members.

After getting two monthly abuse letters in one week period, I decided to call up and see if Comcast would work with me. After talking with them they suggested the business option to me as alternative to a residential account. After being on the phone for 15 mins I was basically told, unless I register/set up some sort of business that they could not offer business accounts on residential areas, period. No flavors of anything they offered in business accounts resulted in service, and to add insult to injury I called them back a couple times and was even told "your area isn't zoned for business" Had to wait until DSL was finally an option.

Comcast doesn't want you if you're a residential wanting a business account, you're still going to end up affecting other users if anyone else uses that node a lot.

...and before I'm labeled a pro Verizon anti-Comcast user, I put up with more than enough stupid issues on any high speed ISP. I know people on Comcast that are now 16 megabit and 8+ megabit accounts. They are completely opposite me, they wish to half their internet speed to cut their costs Comcast charges when promotional plans expire.

It's funny in a way, just about two years ago 100GB+ was considered "way too much, abusive, good riddance" Now an unwanted user back then is an acceptable user now. I used DU Meter and it was anywheres from 75-104GB depending on the month. Yes users that download almost half a TB now are now considered abusive, a couple years down the line it will be acceptable.

Now 16/1 is available to many of the users I do work with, one I know downloads a lot of stuff, now their downstream is twice what it was before, your large files download twice as fast, all this extra time is freed up waiting for downloads to finish, does one really expect the user not to take advantage of ISP's playing the numbers game?

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
Hercules, CA

2 edits
Not Comcast Workplace or Teleworker, friend... Enterprise! WAY different!

You likely cannot get(let alone afford) Enterprise Service.
»www.comcastcommercial.com/index. ··· temid=36

Enterprise Internet Service is for an actual business, not for Residential use.

Workplace and Teleworker are still residential services. They just have better support. Faster repairs.

EDIT: I'll say it again, Comcast does not sell volume, they are selling speed.
Just because you have an 8mbps line, does not mean you can download x hundred GB per month.
It means that your regular downloads get to you faster. That is all.

You, apparently, were smarter than some - you had an alternative and went for it! Good! More power to you!

Since the majority of Comcast users will never reach x hundred GB per month, there isn't a problem. We will get our downloads fast though.

--

acrufox

Canada

1 edit
That still doesn't help someone in a bandwidth abuse situation.

Why keep jacking the speeds up and auto re-syncing users modems and they expect the same amount of usage.

Eventually it gets just plain petty. I remember the free upgrade from 1.5 to 3.0. I got abuse letters on 1.5 service, a week after the complaints they sent me a letter saying how valued I was and here have 3.0 speeds for free as a token of our appreciation.

Why toy with users like this? Hey you took too many cookies out of the jar, here let us double the size of the cookie jar even though we are aware you took too many out of the first jar.

They may be offering speed not volume now, but the sad part of it is, they used to :/. Unlimited used to refer to their service in general before they started messing with their definition of "unlimited" Unlimited now refers to "unlimited availability of service itself, the connection itself is unlimited, "always on".

I wish Comcast would not only address bandwidth abusers, but I wish they would resolve the other end of the scale. I may not be on Comcast anymore BUT I have enough friends/family, acquaintances that are begging for less speed. I can sum up the responses of at least a dozen people I've talked to and in general get this reply: "I pay $60/mo, all I do is use e-mail and lightly browse the web and send family photos, I've been on Comcast for years and am notified once in awhile they are increasing my internet speed, I don't want faster speeds, I don't notice the difference. I would prefer to have price decreases instead of speed increases"

Seems nowadays with ISP's the user ultimately cannot win. My friend one town over only has Sprint DSL ($70 a month for 3.0 service, or Mediacom 5/256 (really miserable ul speed) for $45 a month)

It's always something LOL

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
Hercules, CA
Then, you drop Comcast... what's the problem? Go elsewhere(kinda looks like you did). Cool!

*MOST* Comcast users are NOT bandwidth hogs.
We use the internet for an entertainment. We don't download hundreds of GB per month. We will never get "The Letter".
I don't have a problem with that!

If you or anyone else has a need to download more that the average user, then Comcast is not for you.

*FOR ME* Comcast is great! I get what I want fast! Way faster than any other ISP can deliver to *THIS HOUSE*.
I will likely never hit the 100-500GB marks, so *I* don't have a problem.
--

acrufox

Canada

3 edits
The problem is that I know way too many people on Comcast that don't want these speed increases or will even become 1/100th of a bandwidth abuser. They rather "half the speed at half the cost" Comcast is losing a lot of customers around here just because of that, and as much as one can say "the more for me/us" Comcast really does need to start taking a look at the other end of the scale too.

I loved the speeds on Comcast, I did what had to be done, but I see users jumping through hoops to get DSL or FiOS and end up dealing with extreme stupidity in the process that they ultimately feel trapped on Comcast because they don't want to pay $60/mo for something they take out for a Sunday afternoon drive. If Comcast started addressing the very low usage users, I wouldn't have to hear these sob stories of the pain and suffering they went through to address the "I pay $60 and only do e-mail and check the weather" I actually had someone willing to PAY me to help them switch to Verizon's 768 service.

If Comcast ever offers low cost solutions for long term internet usage for $30 or less after promotions do not hesitate to tell me, so the next time someone asks me "what are my alternatives" I can add that tidbit of info to "users who want cheaper services via slower tiers" Yes I've been asked so many times now...

I just received another $33/3 services mail offer yesterday, in none of the fine print does it say what you'll pay after the promotion ends, it just says "after 12 months the standard rate applies" It's misleading to people who don't know any better (a lot of those kind of users around here) who don't call up and find out what that "standard rate" is. =(

LOL In a way I'm kind of fed up with the whole Comcast/Verizon issue, I don't want to hear the Comcast/Verizon debate anymore, but alas I don't have such luxuries working where students take their classes, just because you're part of the help desk doesn't mean you can help them make these decisions on which ISP to chose.

maartena
Elmo
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to arch_slayer
DivX quality is roughly 500 Mb per hour of show. 400 Gb is therefore about 800 hours of television, which is about the SAME amount of hours that there are in a 31 day month.

Either you don't sleep at all and don't have a life, or you don't download near 400 Gb a month.

Hell, even if it is pure HDTV quality, which is about 4 Gb for an hour with compression, you would still have a 100 hours, or more then 3 hours of watching Anime every single day.

You either GOT to be kidding me, or you do not have a life worth speaking of....
--
The Republican Party is a party of BAD ideas. The Democratic Party is a party of NO ideas. Every now and then a Republican stands up in congress and says: "I got a really BAD idea!", to which a Democrat reponds with: "And I can make it shittier!"

Darkfairy
Aeolus, your daughter flies.
Premium
join:2003-03-17
Tampa, FL
reply to dadkins
said by dadkins:

Comcast does have Enterprise connections for business, and you can do whatever you wish on them. What you have coming out of your wall at home is not an Enterprise connection!
Can you show me where Comcast clearly states a limitation of volume on their service?

It does not sound to me like any users of this thread so far are using their connection for business or enterprise uses. In every case I read, each connection is serving a private family for private uses. In no way is any service offered to the public over those connections.
--
Cheers,
Stephanie - www.GlitterFaerie.com

DeeC
Premium
the world
reply to maartena
said by maartena:

DivX quality is roughly 500 Mb per hour of show. 400 Gb is therefore about 800 hours of television, which is about the SAME amount of hours that there are in a 31 day month.

Either you don't sleep at all and don't have a life, or you don't download near 400 Gb a month.

Hell, even if it is pure HDTV quality, which is about 4 Gb for an hour with compression, you would still have a 100 hours, or more then 3 hours of watching Anime every single day.

You either GOT to be kidding me, or you do not have a life worth speaking of....
LOL.

BTW, Xvid TV Shows are about 370MB ......for 1 hr (commercials removed, of course). The only 4GB stuff are DVD-Rs, hypothetically

OpenMike

@208.17.x.x

1 recommendation

reply to Darkfairy
"Can you show me where Comcast clearly states a limitation of volume on their service?

It does not sound to me like any users of this thread so far are using their connection for business or enterprise uses. In every case I read, each connection is serving a private family for private uses. In no way is any service offered to the public over those connections"

Where does it say it 'Unlimited'?

BHaasie
Premium
join:2002-06-16
Middletown, PA

1 edit
OpenMike
"Where does it say it 'Unlimited'?"

On the same token, where does it say 'Limited' and more importantly, what those limits are?

I couldn't resist....

openmike

@208.17.x.x

1 recommendation

It says it in the TOS - not in so many words..(im pretty sure this has been debated b4)

something along the lines of - Comcast can cut service for any reason, if you are causing detriment to the system blah...its like Prego..its in there

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
Hercules, CA
reply to Darkfairy
said by Darkfairy:

said by dadkins:

Can you show me where Comcast clearly states a limitation of volume on their service?

It does not sound to me like any users of this thread so far are using their connection for business or enterprise uses. In every case I read, each connection is serving a private family for private uses. In no way is any service offered to the public over those connections.
Can you show me where it states that the connections we have are to be used for "unlimited" bandwidth?
--

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
Premium,MVM
Hercules, CA

2 edits

2 recommendations

reply to acrufox
People want lower costs? HELLO!
DSL?
There is your slower speeds and lower costs.
*NO ONE* is being forced to use Comcast. If, at any time, a Comcast customer doesn't like the service(for any reason), termination is just a phone call away.
Plus, there are no Early Termination Fees! No contract!

Anyone is free to switch to whatever other service is out there. Even if it is dialup...
Until people start reading the TOS/AUP, we will see these threads.
At least Comcast gives you a warning(or two), some ISPs just cut you back for whatever reason they see fit!

Plain English:
Don't like Comcast, discontinue service(s). Problem solved!
--

acrufox

Canada
It's been like two years, back two years ago people were posting legal mumbo jumbo directly from Comcast's site and or in the termination high bandwidth usage letters. I no longer have the information saved on my system to point to :P

At the time it wasn't actually stated that "unlimited" referred to volume BUT from phone calls to Comcast, the gist of it was, they were told that the term "unlimited" referred to always on and how much you downloaded was more relevant to your location was rather than applied to everyone. Some people were downloading 200-300GB at the time and were considered by BBR members as extremely abusive to HSI but never once got a letter.

People want lower costs yes, DSL is available to some....as I said I know a lot of Comcast users and switching to DSL isn't as simple as going to the site and getting install kits. Sometimes I drop by and find extremely stupid things, most of the time their order gets stuck in the system and never go anywheres. Other times the order shows up as being completed, I login to the modem only to find "no DSL carrier detected" Ultimately half the time this happens the customer gives up switching, they don't have the time to call for hours on end to get the issue escalated to a point the DSL provider will do something about it. So then what's left? Dialup or pricey satellite internet, not much of a choice as an always on low cost solution, especially with the distance limitations DSL has, there are large areas that have city water/sewer yet they are too far out to even get DSL.

I just don't like the fact Comcast has these invisible caps, which leads directly back to the word "unlimited" Comcast doesn't come out and say what the current limit is. These caps are deemed necessary but instead of coming out and saying it. They keep the whole issue obscure so competitors can't nail them on it by saying it in their commercials.

Invisible caps, vague TOS, and unstated pricing by mail/radio/billboard after the plan runs out.

Seen it, been there, done that =) I still remember a Comcast customer that was a student interrupt a conversation I had with someone else about Verizon. She had nothing positive to say about DSL. What was it ulimately? She got the kit, nothing was ever done, she was billed for service she didn't get, etc etc etc. Even funnier she tried to get me to switch to Comcast

GotNoRice
Internet Cynic

join:2001-12-04
Pleasant Hill, CA

1 recommendation

reply to arch_slayer
One of my friend's cousins has every single episode of star trek from all 5 shows and it comes in at just under 200 gigs. If I spent every single day doing nothing but watching Star Trek, i'm not sure I could even fit that in in a single month.

Darkfairy
Aeolus, your daughter flies.
Premium
join:2003-03-17
Tampa, FL
reply to dadkins
said by dadkins:

Can you show me where it states that the connections we have are to be used for "unlimited" bandwidth?
Deja vu. It says nothing either way, so we're left to make any wild assumption that seems reasonable to us, on an individual basis. Some people think 600GB is reasonable, I think a public road system that can sustain traffic traveling at 300km/h or more (read: Autobahn in America) is reasonable.

The issue, as I've said time and time again, isn't about how much the cap is, or what any one person is using the bandwidth for. That's their business. The real issue at all is Comcasts dishonest business practices.
--
Cheers,
Stephanie - www.GlitterFaerie.com