Link Logger
MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

1 recommendation

Link Logger

MVM

How do you like your updates served - with this poll I hope

Not to take away from the other thread, but perhaps a discussion about update methods is in order here.

Poll
How you like your updates delivered?

Fully Automatic Daily

Fully Automatic Weekly

Partially Automatic Daily

Partially Automatic Weekly

Check Automatic Daily

Check Automatic Weekly

Manually

Whats an update (people selecting this option will be responded to with a rolled up newspaper)

Votes:224

?

Fully Automatic = check, download and install
Partially Automatic = check, download but wait for user to install
Check Automatic = check, but wait for user to download and install
Manually = user will check, download and install

Now of course a factor would be the kind of update we are talking about. Certainly I would think that most people would like AV updates delivered hourly (do you trust AV vendors more then OS or application vendors?), but we will exclude them and talk more about OS/application updates in this thread.

Sorry guys I think the poll in the other thread is trash.

Blake

Nancymca
Security Goddess, retired.
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Voorheesville, NY

Nancymca

Premium Member

Fully Automatic daily for trusted software, of course. Why even think about it, that's why I have the software in the first place. I have better things to do than muck around with my system picking out malware.

One exception: OS updates. There is too much of a history of bad and troublesome updates to let those install automatically. I'd rather see how they go before I install them. "...Asps...very dangerous....you go first"
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
So far this poll is tied with two polar opposites being favored.

I voted for manual updating. I don't want ANY of the process automated. I've been doing just fine with manual updating for years. I see no reason to change that. I have autoupdating and BITS disabled. I do use services such as Belarc Advisor and Windiz for Fx to confirm that I have gotten the updates I need. I download to disk and install one at a time and use the computer inbetween each install. That way when there is a problem I usually know immediately which update is the culprit. I burn copies to CD so I don't want some auto updating thing where I have no copy of the update.

As for application updating, I also want that to be manual. In the long run that is always wiser and, of course, less invasive of privacy. Many times I don't want a later version of a product and I don't think that choice should be removed. WMP, Acrobat Reader, Flash Player all come to mind here.

jbob
Reach Out and Touch Someone
Premium Member
join:2004-04-26
Little Rock, AR

jbob to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
For me I update my running AV(SAV) and AT(BOC) apps automatically daily. For my OS I do that manually as required. For other anti-malware apps I do them manually as well.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Nancymca

Premium Member

to Nancymca
Nancy, I believe Link Logger was excluding security applications like AV from this poll/discussion. They fall into a special category and I think even those of us who want full control over any other application/OS updating/upgrading probably have our AV, etc. set to update automatically. I was speaking about all other applications in my remarks.

seqrets
Premium Member
join:2001-05-03
Nederland, TX

seqrets to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
1. For OS's, notify me at best and I'll do the rest.
2. AV/AT automatically download/install.
3. Everything else, same as #1.

Nancymca
Security Goddess, retired.
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Voorheesville, NY

Nancymca to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
Hello,

I wasn't talking about an AV. I was talking about antimalware software. I only use an AV on-demand.

I handle software *upgrades* manually, but I don't think that's what the poll is about, as they are typically infrequent, with the exception possibly being Firefox/Thunderbird. (for Firefox/Thunderbird users of course)

SpannerITWks
Premium Member
join:2005-04-22

SpannerITWks to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
Manually for everything !

Spanner

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

1 recommendation

Dustyn to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
Fully Automatic!

Of course if the program allows how often to poll for updates I will select what I deem appropriate for the specific program. Something like Sun Java doesn't need to poll for updates every day or even every week! Once a month for Sun Java is sufficient I think.

Windows XP SP2 has Auto Download and Auto Install at my specified time.

MapleLeaf
Premium Member
join:2001-09-04
Burnaby, BC

1 recommendation

MapleLeaf to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
Since we are excluding security applications, I voted "Manually" - I like to have as much control (if any)as I can master when it comes to OS updates/patching.

But I usually recommend Check Automatic or Partially Automatic approach for less experienced home users. I think that danger of being late with a new patch overweights chances of someone unwillingly swallowing a screwy update.

If you tend to forget little matters or have better things to do than following daily/weekly/monthly what to update - automate things.

mers2
Premium Member
join:2004-03-20
USA

1 recommendation

mers2 to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
OS updates are always manual - I prefer to see what problems, if any, appear for those who have auto update. As to other security software only the AV is set to auto update - everything else is manual update.

dadkins
Can you do Blu?
MVM
join:2003-09-26
Hercules, CA

dadkins to Link Logger

MVM

to Link Logger
XP doesn't get a chance! I'm usually already at WU searching before AU gets a chance to notify me.

KAV is Fully Automatic. everything else is Manual.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

1 recommendation

Mele20 to Nancymca

Premium Member

to Nancymca
said by Nancymca:

Hello,

I wasn't talking about an AV. I was talking about antimalware software. I only use an AV on-demand.

I handle software *upgrades* manually, but I don't think that's what the poll is about, as they are typically infrequent, with the exception possibly being Firefox/Thunderbird. (for Firefox/Thunderbird users of course)
If you read the thread that this grew from you would understand that Link Logger started it partly because of concern regarding the forced updating of WMP since ver 7.
»Microsoft DNS resolver sabotaged hosts-file lookup?

I did say security applications LIKE AV. I wanted to say antitrojans, antivirus and antispyware applications but I knew it is considered old-fashioned and inaccurate to refer to AT now and I was having a "senior moment" and couldn't think of the word "antimalware".

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
I voted "fully automatic daily", because i was thinking of the security software, till i read the bottom of your post.

OS and major software updates are on "manual", or "notify me, but don't automatically download or install them", and this reasoning has nothing to do with paranoia of my computer breaking from them.

Simply, it is safer to download and install them when all else has finished. Whether it be in the middle of trying software, doing some printing, or playing a game, whatever it may be.

Major, or minor program updates ( and this includes security software ) needs to be rebooted most times, so you don't want it interfering with other projects.

I have yet to see a detection update break anything, other than produce false positives, which can be dealt with quite easily, and you won't be scanning in the middle of some project either.

AutoPatcher
@csolve.net

AutoPatcher to Link Logger

Anon

to Link Logger

One word: AutoPatcher

thats it, I don't worry about updates

SpannerITWks
Premium Member
join:2005-04-22

SpannerITWks to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20

Re: How do you like your updates served - with this poll I hope

I know that some AV's have been detecting a lot more than just Viruses for a while, but they are still referred to by the Vendors themselves in the main as AV.

The same goes for AS/ etc etc. So even though for eg, a very good AT will detect/block etc a lot more than just Trojans, if EVERY Anti was just generically called Antimalware, then it might be pretty confusing for a lot of people out there. And all Antimalware products would NOT be equal, as individual Anti this n that are NOT now, or have ever been.

Spanner
Libra
Premium Member
join:2003-08-06
USA

Libra to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
I voted manually. I have my AV and AT update automatically, but for anything else I like to find out about the update and see how others did with it before I install it.

Sincerely, Libra

JTM1051
MVM
join:2000-07-08
Terrell, TX

JTM1051

MVM

said by Libra:

I voted manually. I have my AV and AT update automatically, but for anything else I like to find out about the update and see how others did with it before I install it. ...
Ditto

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

1 edit

3 recommendations

antdude to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
I have Broadband Reports' daily updates (e.g., »Security Software Updates Apr 15, 2006) to do the checking. And also, e-mail notifications from MS.

antiserious
The Future ain't what it used to be
Premium Member
join:2001-12-12
Scranton, PA

antiserious to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger

... I voted 'manual', but what I really want is 'Fully-Functional-and-BUG-Free' ...

... actually I only use Auto-Update for my real-time A/V (and I check that manually once a day as well), all others are manually done, and it's not much work, really ...
starfish8
join:2004-06-30

starfish8 to Link Logger

to Link Logger
I run Microsoft Update manually. I have a wireless laptop and prefer to connect the old Cat5e to get my updates. I don't like to patch the OS over a wireless connection.

Sparrow
Crystal Sky
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
Sachakhand

Sparrow to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
Everything manual, except one Security product.

danny9
Go Ahead, Make My Day
Premium Member
join:2002-07-14
Clinton Township, MI

1 edit

1 recommendation

danny9 to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
For Kav and BoClean I let it go at fully automatic.
Boinc also, for team Starfire, with it's back and forth traffic is fully automatic.
Everything else is always set to manual.

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

1 edit

EGeezer to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger

Re: updates

It depends on the users and environment. For stable noncritical environments where basic email/browsing/letter writing is the function, autoupdate daily or weekly will suffice. For the AV/AT applications, auto update at the highest frequency.

For complex setups or critical usage, a daily notify works. I then review the proposed updates and either apply them, test them on a lab rat with the user apps loaded, or give them the shelf test to see if there are reported problems.

Bleeding edge ain't my bag where business is involved. My customers like reliability, availability and performance. That's ultimately what they pay me to provide.

Barbara Ann
MVM
join:2000-10-17
Canada

Barbara Ann to JTM1051

MVM

to JTM1051

Re: How do you like your updates served - with this poll I hope

Manually! never automatic!

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

Blackbird to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
When it comes to OS updates (and even major non-OS program updates), for some of us, there are still too many "issues" to let them run full-auto simply because the OS, tool, or app decides it wants to suckle at an update site's teat. There are times when one may be on a WiFi link and doesn't want to use that method, as starfish8 notes. There are times when an update can be so large or complex that it (or the resulting reboots connected with it) could interfere with something else important that the computer may be doing... but auto-updates usually don't know about or account for that. There are times (too many, actually - see the current verclsid flap!) when updates can break certain systems' functionality... and one may be forgiven for not wanting that to happen in the midst of other important computer activity or until one has had a chance to check the forums for discussions about some particular update. There are times when one might wish to make a TI/Ghost image prior to a perceived higher-risk update, but auto-updating can deny that opportunity. There are times when folks simply don't want computer software "phoning home".

Bottom line: many computer owners want to retain direct control over what happens and when on a computer, case by case... after all, it's their computer - not the software houses whose products they may be using. I have no problem with software offering an easily-accessible option for auto, partial-auto, or manual updating. But increasingly, one gets the sense that some software houses are now diluting the clear understanding and implementation of those updating choices.

Snowy
Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI

Snowy to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
Poll: "How you like your updates delivered?"
First, Let's just say it & get it over with.
"Were discussing Microsoft updates."
I've struggled with this question for awhile,
"Do as I say, not as I do" is my dilemma.
I voted "Manually" because that's what I do.
My conflict is with machines that I reformat/clean etc... that I may or may not ever see again. If it's a machine that in all probability I may never see again it's everything updated automagically. A machine closer to home (relative/friend) everything but Microsoft updates are automagically updated. If these 'closer' machines are a month behind in microsoft updates I don't consider them to be at any greater risk than a buggy update can pose.
So do you "Practice what you preach"
I don't.

WFO
Premium Member
join:2001-08-27
San Ramon, CA

1 edit

WFO to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
KAV, BoClean and Counterspy are fully auto.

Everything else is manual. I'm better at finding them than they are at notifying me.

AnyDVD updates so frequently that I sometimes forget to disable the auto update. No biggie as it is trusted at this point.

If Blake is really asking if I'd want auto updates for LinkLogger, I'd say yes simply because updates are rare and I forget to check often enough.

Snowy
Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI

Snowy

Premium Member

said by WFO:

If Blake is really asking if I'd want auto updates for LinkLogger, ...
Not to come off as harsh, but if that were Link Logger See Profile's question he would have just come & asked it.

WFO
Premium Member
join:2001-08-27
San Ramon, CA

1 recommendation

WFO

Premium Member

LOL...probably. He posts good topics often enough that I tend to doubt any ulterior motive. Put my comment down as a hint to Blake.