uniqs

Link Logger
MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

2 recommendations

Link Logger

MVM

How do you like your updates served to your Mother's System?

Companion thread to the other question ( »How do you like your updates served - with this poll I hope ) where about 43% of folks like to manually update their own system, but does it make a difference if you are updating your computer or someone elses and if so why? So this question is how would you configure your Mother's (for example) computer or other remote client type system for updates?

Fully Automatic = check, download and install
Partially Automatic = check, download but wait for user to install
Check Automatic = check, but wait for user to download and install
Manually = user will check, download and install

Poll
How you like your updates delivered to a clients/remote system?

Fully Automatic Daily

Fully Automatic Weekly

Partially Automatic Daily

Partially Automatic Weekly

Check Automatic Daily

Check Automatic Weekly

Manually

Votes:103

If you voted differently in this poll as compared to the other, why? If not, do you visit your client's remote systems that often or do you rely on them to manually apply their own updates?

Blake

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire

Cudni

MVM

Voted manual update because i will always review and only apply those patches or updates that apply to this or that particular system

Cudni

Nancymca
Security Goddess, retired.
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Voorheesville, NY

Nancymca to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
Mom brings her laptop over when visiting so we can keep everything aside from her anti-malware (automatically updates daily) up to date.

uid1307457
Premium Member
join:2005-12-30
Tempe, AZ

1 edit

uid1307457 to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
my mother was born in the sixties and never owned a computer until 2004...enough said...

penguins4evr
Premium Member
join:2002-01-17

1 edit

penguins4evr to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
Voted "fully automatic weekly." The more automated the better. I only get to see my parents and their computer about once a year, so keeping them up-to-date personally is not so easy. We do manage to do a fair share of tech support over the phone

MapleLeaf
Premium Member
join:2001-09-04
Burnaby, BC

MapleLeaf to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
Fully Automatic Daily - I insisted that my parents automate KAV and WU. They live out of my reach. I know them long enough (41 years) to not trust them in things like checking for OS patches updating databases. I update their KAV subscription for them myself - same date as mine, easy to remember. If you only could imagine how much it would cost me to do troubleshooting over the phone between Vancouver and St.-Petersburg...

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
MVM,
join:2001-01-27
22152-1106

grobinette to Link Logger

MVM,

to Link Logger
Full automatic weekly for the OS. Considering her internet habits, that would work. The higher risk would be that her friends send along an infected email and the AV should handle that.

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
Fully automated for any one's computer that comes here. Simply because they don't care either way, as long as it works for them. They prefer to put up with it updating, even over a dialup acct. Somewhere in it all, it makes them think all is working right if it does. So if it's updated regularly, i don't get it back as quickly

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

EGeezer to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
For mother-in-law, check automatic daily on OS, full auto on AV . She's on dialup and will download/install OS updates once she's done her email and internet browsing.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

1 recommendation

Dustyn to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
Fully Automatic!

The best solution to protect newbies who don't fully understand the technical aspects of what a hot patch does.

In most cases, Fully Automatic is a trouble free easy solution!

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

DownTheShore to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
I set up my stepdad's compututer to fully automatic updating. He has no interest at all in the mechanics of the computer, so I just set things up to occur as automatically as possible to keep him protected. Every now and then I run full sweeps of his system, but he doesn't tend to go places online where nasties tend to abound anyway.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
I just get my mom to start net-meeting and I do that remote control thing and update the PC. I do it like once a month.

MrBradTX
join:2001-05-23
Carrollton, TX

MrBradTX to Link Logger

to Link Logger
I voted "full auto daily" even though Mom will never ever have a computer in her home. This is the same woman who couldn't use the camera we gave her one year for Christmas, because it needed a plus battery and a minus battery but we had only included two plus batteries. I thought Grandma was gonna stroke out she was laughing so hard.

onDvine
Grown up Flower Child
Premium Member
join:2005-01-29
So. CA, USA

onDvine to uid1307457

Premium Member

to uid1307457
said by uid1307457:

my mother was born in the sixties and never owned a computer until 2004...enough said...
I was born in '51, so I guess I'm representing the mothers, here. My husband and I have owned computers since the '80s and I operated a word processing business when using Kermit and a modem was cutting edge.

I didn't come online until 2000 and cringe when I think about how ignorant I was and some of the things I did (like removing files with names that "didn't sound right," when I started having problems...probably because I'd already removed the unconfigured firewall that blocked too many places in the first & second computers I toasted ) prior to mid-2003 when I found a security forum and got good advice for the first time. BUT I learned, and I'll bet your mother could, too, if you encouraged her just a bit.

Hel
Goddess Of My Own Little Universe
Premium Member
join:2002-04-11
Washington, DC

Hel to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
Manually, cos too often automatic updates break things, and then mom calls me panicking. So every week or two I head over and manually update. On my system tho, I've got it set to download and then wait for me to install.
Well, the windows systems. The linux systems (which I've got mom almost exclusively using!) I update manually all around.

Sweet Witch
Be the flame, not the moth.
MVM
join:2003-07-15
Gallifrey

Sweet Witch to Link Logger

MVM

to Link Logger
I have my mother's set identical to mine - AVG auto updates daily and MS checks weekly. If there's an important update, I simply email her with the link and she updates when she gets the email. She also knows that when she sees the little shield there's an update waiting for her and to install it when she's done with her email.

brydry
...it's meat-cake
join:2004-12-05
Clearwater, FL

brydry to Link Logger

to Link Logger
Set my Mom's to Fully Automatic = check, download and install. She ran her PC for about 18 months with no updating, email and surfing in an administrator account - her machine was seriously hosed. Destructive recovery was the only cure. I have since given her a limited user account to use, auto windows updates, ato AV updates and I go clean her pc once a month (before she was 1500 miles away and couldn't do what need to be done). Gave her Firefox and Thunderbird to also keep the nasties to a minimum. If she hoses it again she might be learning SuSE

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG

Premium Member

Use net-meeting it's free comes with windows and you can control the PC from where you are and update it yourself.