spc
Search similar:

uniqs
C_BAG
join:2004-01-13
Philadelphia, PA

C_BAG

Are there any reliable vpn clients for pocketpc WinMobile:

Just wondering also, if anyone has had any experience with vpn clients for the blackberry I would also like to hear your successes with getting that to work.

SoonerAl
MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK

1 edit

SoonerAl

MVM

The Windows Mobile 2003 PPTP VPN client was reliable for me when I used it in the past connecting to an XP Pro box acting as a PPTP VPN server. I presume its just as reliable with the newer Windows Mobile 5 OS. In my case the issue never was the PocketPC client or the XP server. The issue was always the router the server was behind and whether or not the router would pass GRE Protocol 47 traffic correctly or not...

To add that in my case connections to the public internet with my iPAQ 3835 or 5555 PocketPC was either a wireless 802.11b link at a public hot spot/private wireless LAN segment or a 56 Kbps dial up link using a Targus V.90 dial modem or a wired Ethernet connection to a private LAN and on to the public internet. The server was behind a Linksys BEFSR41 Broadband Router in all cases.
C_BAG
join:2004-01-13
Philadelphia, PA

C_BAG

Don't have a PPTP server set up as of yet, but I may look into that, but I've heard negative things concerning PPTP server security, and I've been a little concerned about setting one up as a result of that.
DocLarge
Premium Member
join:2004-09-08

DocLarge to C_BAG

Premium Member

to C_BAG
If you're just trying to establish "basic" connectivity, then there's nothing wrong with using pptp. Once you get connected, then you can "up" the strength of your encryption/algorithm.

Doc

SoonerAl
MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK

SoonerAl to C_BAG

MVM

to C_BAG
AFAIK you should note that the built-in PocketPC VPN client (PPTP or IPsec/L2TP) is designed to only work with MS VPN servers (PPTP or IPsec/L2TP). So that pretty much rules out XP as a server if you want tighter security by using IPsec/L2TP...