sheik28
Premium Member
join:2000-10-15
New York, NY

1 recommendation

sheik28

Premium Member

[Packet8] Unlocked 14.17 Firmware.....

For your P8 pleasure this is the latest firmnware for the DTA-310/BPA-410.
said by anonymous :

Unlike the previous unlocked versions, if you make g,711u priority 1, g.711a priority 2, g.729 priority 3, AND UNCHECK teh Checkbox next to g.729; Save it and REBOOT the adapter; THE G.711u CODEC WORKS ON ALL INCOMING AND OUTGOING CALLS. Not just the outgoing like the older unlocked versions.
cgigate
join:2003-05-12
Fort Worth, TX

cgigate

it still not real unlocked.
you can not change to another SIP server

sheik28
Premium Member
New York, NY

sheik28

Premium Member

Haven't we been over this already?
Unlock the way you want it yourself then
nsumner
join:2001-12-13
Israel

nsumner to sheik28

to sheik28
sheik28: Very nice, but honestly cgigate has a point. I wouldn't call this unlocked. I don't knwo what to call it but I don't think it is "unlocked". I would say it is like a cell phone a GSM phone is unlocked only when I can use it with ANY GSM provider (okay given frequencies etc), not when I make a hack to the phone to allow some extra feature.

Sly
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Tennessee

Sly to sheik28

Premium Member

to sheik28
Semantics aside... Thank you. I was waiting for this.

rcilink
Premium Member
join:2003-12-15
Manchester, NH

rcilink to nsumner

Premium Member

to nsumner
nsummer, you are correct, it is not a 'completely' unlocked firmware.

To better understand this, I will explain, including some product history, 'unlocking' achievements, and more..

The DTA310 was 'locked' from user changes to the SIP settings sometime after the 11.11 firmware release. The pages were accessable, depending if you knew the 'key' to get in.

In the firmware later than 12.34, they locked-in some defaults. These would be put back in by doing a physical reset of the device (using reset button). This is important, because if you were to open up the SIP pages with the 'unlock' style used in this thread, you had some limitations.. For example, you could not change the domain from 'packet8.net'. firmware today still shows this behavior. packet8 added a routine to check if the SIP server information has been changed, and change it back. The only official way to get the domain (or other SIP settings) changed would be to know the advanced configuration key.. Putting in the correct advcfgkey will disable this routine, allowing you to change the SIP settings, along with everything else.

By the way, the reason you don't have SIP server information in the SIP page is because packet8 uses SRV records. They have the device set to resolve the SIP information each time it boots, allowing packet8 to change servers easily..

One thing to keep in mind.. These devices provide the web interface for simple management, not detailed configuration..

This is visable if you look under the covers to see how they did it.. The DTA310 family (includes all the packet8-style devices) use an XML config file to set these detailed settings.

If, for some strange reason, someone really _must_ have their DTA310 working for another provider, this is how to do it (without hacking the firmware)..

(NOTE: This config listed below is taken from a different device, NOT the packet8 device firmware... This means that some of the XML settings below are not used..)
DNS_SRV NO
SIP_SERVER proxy.packet8.net
Sip_port_server 5060
REGISTRAR proxy.packet8.net
Sip_port_registrar 5060
OUTBOUND_PROXY proxy.packet8.net
Sip_port_proxy 5060
port_num 2
Line1_phone_number 04011111
Line1_User_id 04011111
Line1_password 0123456789
Line1_CodecPreference G729
Line2_phone_number 04022222
Line2_User_id 04022222
Line2_password 0123456789
Line2_CodecPreference G711
sip_reg_time 3600
Reg_retry_num 3
reg_retry_timer 1800
SIP_Session_Timer 180
SIP_Min_SE 180
GMT_offset -6
Enable_DST YES
REFRESHER NONE
Image_download_server http://myserver.net/support/firmware/
Image_file sip14.00
NTP_Server_addr time.nist.gov
Digit_timer 20
Critical_Digit_timer 5
dtmf_relay_state 1
dtmf_relay_payload 100
Update_Poll_Interval 20
Update_Timeout 86400000
Digit_map x.#|*xx|#xx|[2-9]11|0.T|00|1[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|011xxxxxx.T|[1-9]xxxxxx.T
subscribe_timer 86400
append_area_code TRUE
er_number 911
uplink 256
rx_gain -5
tx_gain -7
ROOTNAME admin
$PWVALROOT admin
PDNS1 10.50.1.20
PDNS2 10.50.1.25

I hope this clears up some of the mystery behind the packet8 device family.

Seriously, unless you have a packet8 account, you should look at the choices available to you... The Linksys PAP2 is a good choice to look at.
wulvarine
join:2003-07-23
So. Cal

wulvarine to sheik28

to sheik28
Well shiek I for one thank you for your effort. If everyone else put their time and effort into developing a different verison of the firmware, instead of splitting hair or critizing one another then we would all be better served,,,,,,,,,,,,,just my measly two cents!
gtojim
join:2002-03-18
Concord, CA

gtojim

Thank you Shiek for you effort
desplin
join:2005-05-20

desplin to nsumner

to nsumner
Unlocked is what we have been calling it ever since I started with packet8 a year ago. Let's not change now--thanks sheik28--now I can upgrade.

sheik28
Premium Member
New York, NY

sheik28

Premium Member

Don't thank me.
Thank Anonymous

Sly
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Tennessee

Sly

Premium Member

What are the default Jitter Buffer settings? I changed mine to adaptive at 100ms and I forgot what the default was...

christcorp
Premium Member
join:2001-05-21
Cheyenne, WY

1 recommendation

christcorp

Premium Member

Default adaptive is 200ms. Default fixed is 100ms. Later... Mike...

sheik28
Premium Member
New York, NY

sheik28

Premium Member

Have any of you changed the fax protocol on the sip page? How have your results been?

For those wondering, on the sip page you can change to T.38 for faxing. Some say it improves it, and I'm looking for some results.
Thanks.

OhSoCurious
@mindspring.com

OhSoCurious to sheik28

Anon

to sheik28

How to calculate first two bytes when making new firmware?

Can Anonymous tell us how the first two bytes of the new firmware were computed? Sure would be interesting to know...

I assume it's some sort of checksum...but how does it work?

Many many thanks for this academic discussion!
nathana
Premium Member
join:2004-05-27
Moscow, ID

nathana to rcilink

Premium Member

to rcilink

Re: [Packet8] Unlocked 14.17 Firmware.....

Just to add to this, I *believe* that it is pretty much impossible to try and load your own custom XML configuration to a packet8 DTA that has packet8 firmware on it since the DTA will send an encrypted challenge of sorts to P8's servers that P8 responds to before updating any of the settings on the DTA. Without knowing how to compute the proper response to the challenge, the DTA is unlikely to accept the new configuration.

I was wondering how possible it would be to "push" a new configuration to a DTA myself, but discovered the above using Ethereal when my curiosity got the better of me. :-/

-- Nathan
vndiktv
Greenville, NC

vndiktv to sheik28

to sheik28
Just wanted to thank you for this firmware.
V
nathana
Premium Member
Moscow, ID

1 recommendation

nathana to sheik28

Premium Member

to sheik28
My experience has been that the T.38 option makes no difference. Level3 currently does not terminate T.38 at any of their IP-to-PSTN interconnects/switches, and P8's secondary DID provider that they were going to use for T.38 termination ended up biting it and the public T.38 beta that was supposed to launch at the same time as the other betas last autumn never materialized as a result.

If T.38 were really "working", then theoretically (barring bugs in the DTA fax demodulation code) you would have a 100% success rate. The fact that people are saying that it "improves" their success rate but (by implication) doesn't make it perfect suggests that T.38 is not being used, and that any "improvement" they are seeing is merely coincidental.

-- Nathan

christcorp
Premium Member
Cheyenne, WY

christcorp

Premium Member

Interesting post. So, does that mean providers, or should I say customers of providers, like SunRocket who claim their service is superior, as far as fax goes because SunRocket uses T.38, has no validity? I'm sure that they use Level 3 for at least some of their transport. Thx... Mike...
nathana
Premium Member
Moscow, ID

1 recommendation

nathana

Premium Member

SunRocket's supposed T.38 support has always been a curiosity of mine. SunRocket's FAQ @ »www.sunrocket.com/suppor ··· l/#start suggests that even with SunRocket's T.38 support, faxing is iffy. Either they are covering their butts with this verbage, or their T.38 implementation sucks. Or maybe their marketing people saw "T.38" in the feature set of the DTAs they ship to their customers (DTAs which SunRocket did not engineer...) and put it up on their site as a feature (though I doubt they'd be that stupid...seems that could open them up to lawsuits).

Just because the DTA has T.38 support doesn't mean the network it is connected to provides T.38 transport. The Netergy/8x8 code has had T.38 support in it for YEARS; just take a peek inside any of the old packet8 firmware images and see for yourself.

As far as SunRocket, T.38, and Level3 goes, you also have to realize that SunRocket doesn't use Level3 exclusively as packet8 does, so SR's T.38, if it exists, probably doesn't go through Level3. Perhaps T.38 support with SunRocket is enabled "upon request"? Presumably if you wanted to receive faxes on SR with T.38, your DID could not be provided by Level3.

Any SunRocket types out there who are willing to comment on this?

-- Nathan
oblib_
join:2006-04-24
Tooele, UT

oblib_ to sheik28

to sheik28
Sorry for some basic questions, but what are the risks of using this "unlocked" firmware? What are the benefits? Where can I learn more?
m2deux
join:2004-12-13
Copiague, NY

m2deux to sheik28

to sheik28
"Save it and REBOOT the adapter"? I know how to save it, but how do you reboot the adapter?
cgigate
join:2003-05-12
Fort Worth, TX

cgigate

said by m2deux:

"Save it and REBOOT the adapter"? I know how to save it, but how do you reboot the adapter?
don't know how to reboot ?
unplug power!

christcorp
Premium Member
Cheyenne, WY

christcorp to oblib_

Premium Member

to oblib_
My understanding, from the many times this question has been asked, it that you first must understand the meaning of "Unlocked" as it applies to this packet8 firmware.

My understanding is that the firmware hasn't been re-written or hacked like some firmware is. i.e. Linksys router firmware is actually re-written as to produce a totally NEW version of firmware. This is intended to provide a firmware version that is capable of doing something in addition, or differently, than the original firmware.

The packet8 firmware, from my understanding, is EXACTLY as written by packet8. The difference is that there are some features that are within the firmware but not made accessible to the user in the original firmware. The "Unlocked" version just makes the other features accessible to the user. These features are already there, and nothing has been added or changed, just made available to the user.

As far an any harm goes, the only thing I could guess that could be harmful would be if you changed certain settings to make your adapter not communicate with packet8 properly. In other words, if you were to upgrade the NORMAL version or the UNLOCKED version, you would have the exact same version, word for word, on your adapter. It's just that the unlocked version allows you to change some things that the normal version doesn't. Someone correct me if my explanation is wrong. Later... Mike...