share rss forum feed

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX
kudos:4

Xcopy Out of Memory

I just set up a batch file using xcopy to copy about 5 Gb of data from 3 directories. I keep getting "Out of Memory" errors, and the batch file terminates. The first run copies about 2 Gb , subsequent runs incrementally copy much less until it will copy 15 or 20 files, and runs out of memory. The system is brand new with 1 Gb ram (xppro Athlon XP 3000, WD 250 Gb SATA2 HD w/ 16m Buffer). I watch the memory usage in task manager while the process runs. Free memory fluctuates between 520 Mb down to 430 Mb as the files copy. It never goes below 430 MB free, even as the xcopy batch file dies with the error. There must be a parameter in windows somewhere that I can tweak to allocate more RAM to the DOS window / XCOPY batch file. I had the same problem about 4 years ago, but then the memory manager did report that the RAM was exhausted. I have 2 paging files set for a fixed total of 4GB in addition to the 1 GB ram.

PetePuma
How many lumps do you want
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-13
Arlington, VA

Are any of the file paths you're trying to copy longer than 254 characters?

»www.blogdom.org/archives/000792.php

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX
kudos:4

1 edit

Awesome. That may very well be a factor. I wrote an EXE that writes the actual xcopy batch file based on a number of factors. The target string itself can be pretty long because the string is pre-faced with year/month/day/time and then a duplicate the source's directory tree. The only thing that has me worried is why it crashes at 2 Gb the first run, and then at drastically sooner times on subsequent runs. I'm not at the computer, but you have given me plenty to look into, including xxcopy. Thanks !

Edit - Just finished reading the manual for RoboCopy. Makes one wonder how Unix is still surviving.