spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Some Anon Guy

@sympatico.ca

Sympatico will end usenet service on May 25

As of May 25, 2006, Bell Sympatico will discontinue its Usenet newsgroup service. All existing Sympatico newsgroups will be removed and we will no longer host a Usenet service.

»service.sympatico.ca/index.cfm?m···_id=5487

Going forward, we invite you to post messages on our web-based discussion forums available at »www.bell.ca/internetforum

For those who wish to keep using Usenet, NewsHosting (an unaffiliated Usenet provider) will provide Bell Sympatico customers up to 1 GB per month of Usenet service at no cost. Optional premium services, which can be purchased directly from NewsHosting, are also available. To sign up, or learn more about these services, visit »bell.newshosting.com/

For more information on the discontinuation of the Sympatico Usenet service, read our frequently asked questions.

dsfgg

@sympatico.ca
so this means i can download 1 gb of mp3's a month?

WWM
Divi filius
Premium
join:2002-12-19
Mississauga
reply to Some Anon Guy
Minus the data from the headers. And only at 512kbps.

MacGyver
Don't Waste Your Energy
Premium,ExMod 2003-05
join:2001-10-14
Canada
kudos:2
reply to Some Anon Guy
Well this sucks royally. No more access to ott.forsale and ott.forsale.computing!

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
said by MacGyver:

Well this sucks royally. No more access to ott.forsale and ott.forsale.computing!
Something wrong with the free Newshosting offer?

For those who wish to keep using Usenet, NewsHosting (an unaffiliated Usenet provider) will provide Bell Sympatico customers up to 1 GB per month of Usenet service at no cost.
--
·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´

mau108
Mau
Premium
join:2001-10-07
Thornhill, ON
reply to Some Anon Guy
»www.flashnewsgroups.com my friend.

8 connections (shareable), 13 usd a month. Can't get better then that.
--
www.djmau108.com

Some anon guy

@sympatico.ca
reply to HiVolt
> Something wrong with the free Newshosting offer?

Yes. Posting isin't allowed.

Some Anon Guy

@sympatico.ca
reply to mau108
> www.flashnewsgroups.com my friend.
> 13 usd a month
> Can't get better then that.

How about 0$ per month?

You're telling me that $13/month is better than 0$ / month?

corster
Premium
join:2002-02-23
Gatineau, QC
Monkey See Monkey Do.

BellVictim4
Premium
join:2006-04-17
reply to Some Anon Guy
Bell's new motto:

GIVING YOU LESS FOR YOUR MONEY

(Why am I not surprised here, by Bell).

(I wonder how long it'll be until they "no longer support email" - MSN sado-masochism is a good first step, eh?)

sss111
Premium
join:2003-09-02
Granby, Qc
kudos:1
reply to Some Anon Guy
Anyone got it working ? filled the form, did not receive the confirmation email.

04/29/2006 16:17:27 SERVER=news.bell.newshosting.com, MSG=Auth: Username or Password is incorrect - The server rejected the authentication

triple verified the login info, tried 2 clients.

I want that Bourne Identity OST Now ! :P

Roop

join:2003-11-15
Ottawa, ON
reply to Some Anon Guy
for those of you who want to post text messages, i recommend google groups.

for those who want do download binaries newshosting has unlimited service for $15 USD.

don't kid yourselfs guys, google has been an alternative for text messages for some time now and bell never had any good retention/completion.

rogers dropped news service last year. this is no suprise.

Some Anon Guy

@sympatico.ca
> for those of you who want to post text messages,
> i recommend google groups.

Web-based news reading/posting sucks, and with google you can't post anonymously (using non-functional e-mail addresses) or use different identities for different news groups.

> rogers dropped news service last year. this
> is no suprise.

The surprise is that Bell peers their feed with others (ie usenet costs them nothing) while Rogers (like most cable companies) can't really peer their usenet feed with anyone (all of their bandwidth is purchased, whereas Bell has traffic agreements with other networks).

albundyhere

join:2000-10-26
New York, NY
reply to Some Anon Guy
well, thats a shame. I've been using newsgroups even before there were binaries available. I will reconsider execulink as they have provided nothing but excellent service.

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to Some Anon Guy
^^^that looks like an "ad" to me, but since it may be offering some assistance, i won't complain about it.

seriously, how many of sympatico's 2.2 million users use a newsgroup, or even know what one is.
--
"I have tried to see things from your point of view, but no matter how hard I try, or what I do, I just can't get my head that far up my ass."

decx
Premium
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC
said by dirtyjeffer:

^^^that looks like an "ad" to me, but since it may be offering some assistance, i won't complain about it.

seriously, how many of sympatico's 2.2 million users use a newsgroup, or even know what one is.
Part of the decline of users of Bell/Sympatico's usenet servers aren't due to a decline in popularity of newsgroups, but rather the drastic decline in quality of usenet services provided by Bell via their servers. The lack of completion makes Bell servers rather useless. It's not only binaries that suffers from this problem, but some text groups as well. I personally stopped using the servers a few years ago. For me the only thing the servers were useful for were accessing local groups like sympatico.highspeed and even those had the occasional completion and sync problems.

However Bell was still good enough to get it's users some form of usenet access via Newshosting rather than leaving their users to find their own alternative like some other large ISPs.

XoX

join:2003-08-19
Qc, Canada
reply to dirtyjeffer
said by dirtyjeffer:

Geez what a pathetic excuse... Not only does Sympatico charge more for less than many other provider... It's the only one I know about that try to sell something to it's customer almost every time they call.

So what because not everyone use it, it's not need it? So that mean they could remove what's left of their pathetic mail service if they keep thinking the same way...

Great keep it up Sympatico...

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
said by XoX:

So what because not everyone use it, it's not need it?
if they don't maintain it, or support it, it saves them money...why waste money on something the vast majority of their customers never use.
--
"I have tried to see things from your point of view, but no matter how hard I try, or what I do, I just can't get my head that far up my ass."
Expand your moderator at work

docbg

join:2004-03-10
Ancaster, ON
reply to Some Anon Guy

Re: Sympatico will end usenet service on May 25

Has anyone been able to activate with NewsHosting?

I registered but never received my activation e-mail.

beres

join:2005-10-23
Arnprior, ON
said by docbg:

Has anyone been able to activate with NewsHosting?
Check if your spam filters trapped the response. I have it registered and functioning fine - 10 mins effort.

FWIW - the 256K d/l speed limit is a pain - I monitor a woodworking pictures group and some folks post 'huge' files so it takes 5 mins to see someone's nice coffee table :-(

enhancedmail

@qc.sympatico.ca
if your on the enhanced mail profile its in yoru junk mail and you ll need to log into the web based aka hotmail.com or sympatico.msn page to see the email. mine was activated within minutes

docbg

Ancaster, ON
reply to Some Anon Guy
Nope, nothing. No e-mails in spam/junk folder. I signed up twice with 2 different e-mail addresses - same result - nothing.

Contacted tech support and so far, he's not much help. Tells me to sign up again. I tell him it won't let me... Running around in circles. He doesn't seem to be addressing the issue: no activation e-mail sent!

sss111
Premium
Granby, Qc
Did you used your @sympatico.ca account for registering ?

rijswijk

join:2001-05-25
Canada

3 edits

Re: Sympatico will end Usenet service on May 25

said by sss111:

Did you used your @sympatico.ca account for registering ?
don't have to it only allows sympatico HS/dial up users ips access with authentication

I for one will switch to a better service now and say farewell to bell again

besides I'll get the same service for $26 less (first 5 months) including unlimited usenet access
--
To be or not to be is just a question its what you do that give's you the anwser

sss111
Premium
Granby, Qc
Tried it, you can only register with @sympatico email box, the IP is just to verify that you connect yourself from bell's network (Bell's ip pool).

docbg

Ancaster, ON
reply to sss111

Re: Sympatico will end usenet service on May 25

Yes, I used both of my @sympatico.ca addresses. I even used my @hotmail.com address. Also tried 3 different IPs (65.x, 67.x and 69.x) and no go.

I gave up and got a free TeraNews account for now - may upgrade to a better package later.

dennilfloss
Liberal And Loving It
Premium
join:2001-09-09
Ottawa, ON
reply to decx
said by decx:

The lack of completion makes Bell servers rather useless.
Main reason why I subscribe to Astraweb.
--
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." Robin Williams