spc
Search similar:

uniqs
photobug6
join:2005-11-27
Santa Barbara, CA

photobug6

Is my son's PC infected, or what?

My son's Dell PC (running WinXP-Home-SP2) has developed a major problem. The BIOS is not recognizing his hard drive or his CD-R. When the system starts up, it says something to the effect that "no hard drives were detected - hit F1 to continue or F2 to enter setup". I hit F2, entering the BIOS, setting everything to 'auto-detect' and rebooted, but the same thing happens again!

So on the next reboot I hit F1 to continue and it finds and boots the C-drive, but the CD-R remains disabled. I checked Device Mgr and there are no apparent errors that I can see, but the problem persists on every bootup!

This 'smells' like his system is infected, but a virus scan (from within Windows) reports "no malware found". I'd like to do a pre-boot scan, but as mentioned, his CD-R isn't being recognized. Any suggestions?

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran

Premium Member

It smells of flakey hardware to me.
photobug6
Santa Barbara, CA

photobug6

Thanks for the reply, but can you be more specific?

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
Irving, TX

sivran to photobug6

Premium Member

to photobug6
There are a few possibilities. The CMOS itself (unlikely), cables, the IDE controller on the motherboard, the drives (unlikely, since one is being detected intermittently and the other not at all) or the power supply.

Whatever it may be, if the machine is still under warranty with Dell, let them take care of it. Opening it up to troubleshoot the issue yourself may void your warranty.

If it's not under warranty, go for it. Open it up, replace the IDE cables. That's the easiest thing to try first. Power up and see if the behavior continues. After that, I'd start suspecting the power supply, and begin disconnecting drives.
photobug6
Santa Barbara, CA

1 edit

photobug6

It's long out of warranty, so that's not an option. Also, if it were a loose or bad cable, why would F1 always result in it finding the hdd followed by Windows starting up?

I take it you don't believe this could be caused by a bootup virus/trojan?

CatSnak
Live to Ride
Premium Member
join:2001-05-06
Ashland, OR

CatSnak to photobug6

Premium Member

to photobug6
Smells like bad IDE controller to me. I've had that promblem many times on many different machines.
photobug6
Santa Barbara, CA

photobug6

If there any way to test for a bad controller (other than replacing the motherboard)?

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
Irving, TX

sivran to photobug6

Premium Member

to photobug6
No, I doubt it was caused by any software on the PC. This sounds like purely a hardware issue, especially since it's flakey. If it were caused by malware (and such destructive malware is rarely seen these days) I don't think you'd get it to boot at all.

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire

Cudni to photobug6

MVM

to photobug6
you can try and run a diagnostic util for that hd from the manufacturer's site to satisfy yourself it is broken and then proceed and purchase a new one.

Cudni

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
Irving, TX

sivran to photobug6

Premium Member

to photobug6
A diagnostic utility wouldn't be able to tell the difference between controller/cable issues and hard drive issues. The only way to isolate that would be to put the drive in another computer. Windows XP being picky about its hardware, it wouldn't boot in a different machine. It'd have to be a second drive, which you could then test.

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY

1 edit

dellsweig to photobug6

MVM

to photobug6
This could be as simple as a battery - the little cmos backup battery - costs about $5 at Radio Shack. Try replacing that (its on the motherboard) Could be its not saving the hardware config
photobug6
Santa Barbara, CA

photobug6

The CMOS battery - I didn't think of that - wouldn't that would be ironic!

But if the battery was going bad, wouldn't the first sign be with the real-time clock?

RandallPod
join:2004-02-07
Starkville, MS

RandallPod to photobug6

to photobug6
You should be able to get a PCI IDE controller card from any local computer shop or online for relatively little money.

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY

dellsweig to photobug6

MVM

to photobug6
said by photobug6:

The CMOS battery - I didn't think of that - wouldn't that would be ironic!

But if the battery was going bad, wouldn't the first sign be with the real-time clock?
Except that after you boot - time may be updating via NTP

Is time set right in BIOS??
photobug6
Santa Barbara, CA

photobug6

Don't know, but I'll check that out when I get home from work this eve.

RandallPod
join:2004-02-07
Starkville, MS

RandallPod to dellsweig

to dellsweig
A bad CMOS battery shouldn't be the likely culprit in this scenario, unless he is actually shutting down the PC after setting up the drives in the BIOS. If he's doing a warm reboot then power isn't being removed from the CMOS chip and the battery never comes into play.
Nevertheless, it might be worth a shot to replace the battery anyway since it's cheap and depending on the age of the machine may be due anyway.
RandallPod

RandallPod

And before you do anything else, you might want to crack the case open and make sure the IDE cable is completely seated in the motherboard socket.
kw5241
join:2005-07-09
Walden, NY

kw5241

If it has a floppy drive disconnect it. Those things will screw ya up real good when they decide to stop working. Then re-seat everything wires memory and processor. A little corrosion from warming up and cooling off will cause things to get flaky to. And try starting it with just the hard drive first if it works connect the cd etc.

andy_zies
Premium Member
join:2005-10-22
Camas, WA

andy_zies to photobug6

Premium Member

to photobug6
Also check the mother board for bad cap's... those little "towers" that stick up from the mobo. If the top is popped out at all, (or acid is leaking out) they are bad. These being bad can cause some weird stuff to happen. I have seen them cause random reboots, slowness, and much more.

It sure sounds like a loose/bad cable to me. If you have another computer at home, just swap cables and try to boot.
That may answer your question.
rasdale
join:2003-02-09
Saint Johns, MI

rasdale to photobug6

to photobug6
What's the model number? What is the Dell tag number?

CatSnak
Live to Ride
Premium Member
join:2001-05-06
Ashland, OR

CatSnak to photobug6

Premium Member

to photobug6
said by photobug6:

If there any way to test for a bad controller (other than replacing the motherboard)?
Only by running a diagnostic util. there are many out there. Your best bet would be one that can run off a floppy since your CD drive never gets recognized.
photobug6
Santa Barbara, CA

1 edit

photobug6

CatSnak, do u know of any that can run off a floppy?
photobug6

photobug6 to rasdale

to rasdale
I'm at work, but I think it's a Dimension 4550 -- P4 2.66GHz, 40GB HDD, 512MB RAM, running WinXP Home (SP2).
Expand your moderator at work
Nanaki (banned)
aka novaflare. pull punches? Na
join:2002-01-24
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned) to CatSnak

to CatSnak

Re: Is my son's PC infected, or what?

said by CatSnak:

Smells like bad IDE controller to me. I've had that promblem many times on many different machines.
Intermitant boot drive detection failure can as many have hinted at be bad hardware but heres a simpler cause easyer to fix to.

Boot up the comp and make sure his hd has a at least say 5 gigs free space. Also check for dust build up on the drives and infact the entire system. Make sure theres no dust on the extra pins on the hard drive cd roms etc for the master cable select and slave jumpers.

Dust can contain many 1000s of things 2 of those that can cause isues are skin cells yep that stuff you have all over you and 2 metalic dusts. But regardless of the make up of the dust in your home it can all cary a static charge that can be enough to short those jumpers turnign your secoundary master cdrom or slave cd rom in to a very confused slave and master all at the same time. This will cause a failure to detect the drive obviously.

Next most common cause loose ide cable next bad ide cable. Final are varius hardware failures. IDE control hd going bd cd rom going bad psu that just dont got enough oomf to power the cd rom hd etc any more. And the list goes on.
controler
join:2003-11-02

controler to photobug6

to photobug6
If it wer mine I would swap HD's but I have a funny feeling photobug is fishing here.

con

Tecklord
join:2001-01-27
Palco, KS

1 edit

Tecklord

Usually if it is freezing during IDE detection you should unplug one device at a time, starting with the cd roms.

amysheehan
MVM
join:1999-12-21
Chula Vista, CA

amysheehan to photobug6

MVM

to photobug6
said by photobug6:

My son's Dell PC (running WinXP-Home-SP2) has developed a major problem. The BIOS is not recognizing his hard drive or his CD-R. When the system starts up, it says something to the effect that "no hard drives were detected - hit F1 to continue or F2 to enter setup". I hit F2, entering the BIOS, setting everything to 'auto-detect' and rebooted, but the same thing happens again!

So on the next reboot I hit F1 to continue and it finds and boots the C-drive, but the CD-R remains disabled. I checked Device Mgr and there are no apparent errors that I can see, but the problem persists on every bootup!

This 'smells' like his system is infected, but a virus scan (from within Windows) reports "no malware found". I'd like to do a pre-boot scan, but as mentioned, his CD-R isn't being recognized. Any suggestions?
Start your computer in safe mode [using the F8 key method]
Reference: »service1.symantec.com/SU ··· out=prod

To use the F8 key to start Windows XP in Safe mode:
Restart the computer.
Some computers have a progress bar that refers to the word BIOS. Others may not let you know what is happening.
As soon as the BIOS loads, begin tapping the F8 key on your keyboard. Do so until the Windows Advanced Options menu appears.
If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. If this happens, restart the computer and try again.
Using the arrow keys on the keyboard, select Safe mode and then press Enter.

--------
Safe mode lets you turn off unnecessary computer programs so that you can find the cause of a problem. When you are done, you can turn on the programs again.

---------------
Are you able to start Windows in Safe Mode?

coxzy
join:2002-09-05
Goochland, VA

coxzy to photobug6

to photobug6
how much memory do you have? if you have two modules of 256, then remove them and place it in the next slotfarthestfrom the cpu or what ever you mb config is.Check to see if it boots up this time play with each one to see if you have a bad memory module